SU 100 Trail Report for Jan 21- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    67

    SU 100 Trail Report for Jan 21

    A small group of us left the General Store around 9:45am yesterday for a scouting mission on the Su100 trails. Sheryl, aka "Ketchup and Mustard", Janice, aka "Thunder Beaver", Jamey, aka "Twinkie Boy", and myself, aka "Big Bird", headed up the trails to Eagle Song. Our original plan was to cut through on the old trail to Luce's, but the old trail was not in, so we rode/pushed our way back to our cars instead. Below is a general report:

    The trails were in pretty poor shape, requiring a lot of pushing. Riding was very marginal, as the snow was very waterlogged from the rains the night before. There was a lot of overflow on Flat Horn, the Big Su, and Alexander Creek. After a lot of slogging, we arrived at Eagle Song around 1:30pm. After a well-deserved cheeseburger, we followed our tracks back to the Big Su. I hope it really cools down, because the overflow is currently really bad. Snowmachines had been across the Dismal Swamp, so we made a little bit better time on that stretch.

    We made it back to the General Store around 4:00pm. I've attached a couple of pictures to show the marginal snow conditions. Unfortunately, the camera malfunctioned just past the Su/Little Su cut-off, so I don't have any pictures of the trail beyond there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    23
    you gotta be strong after that grind!

  3. #3
    rio
    rio is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    978

    Hmmmmmmmm

    These riders can can ride so fast ! Anyone bother to do the math ?



    Quote Originally Posted by bflemin
    A small group of us left the General Store around 9:45am yesterday for a scouting mission on the Su100 trails. Sheryl, aka "Ketchup and Mustard", Janice, aka "Thunder Beaver", Jamey, aka "Twinkie Boy", and myself, aka "Big Bird", headed up the trails to Eagle Song. Our original plan was to cut through on the old trail to Luce's, but the old trail was not in, so we rode/pushed our way back to our cars instead. Below is a general report:

    The trails were in pretty poor shape, requiring a lot of pushing. Riding was very marginal, as the snow was very waterlogged from the rains the night before. There was a lot of overflow on Flat Horn, the Big Su, and Alexander Creek. After a lot of slogging, we arrived at Eagle Song around 1:30pm. After a well-deserved cheeseburger, we followed our tracks back to the Big Su. I hope it really cools down, because the overflow is currently really bad. Snowmachines had been across the Dismal Swamp, so we made a little bit better time on that stretch.

    We made it back to the General Store around 4:00pm. I've attached a couple of pictures to show the marginal snow conditions. Unfortunately, the camera malfunctioned just past the Su/Little Su cut-off, so I don't have any pictures of the trail beyond there.
    Last edited by rio; 01-24-2008 at 07:10 AM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    42
    9:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. looks to be about 6:15 to me, rather than four hours. Maybe I'm missing something?

  5. #5
    rio
    rio is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    978

    ooops

    how many miles did they travel ?



    Quote Originally Posted by Repoman84
    9:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. looks to be about 6:15 to me, rather than four hours. Maybe I'm missing something?

  6. #6
    FatBike Fiend
    Reputation: Wildfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    974

    A fast pace indeed

    Quote Originally Posted by rio
    how many miles did they travel ?
    That's gotta be over 40 miles one way to Eagle Song. That's a smokin' fast pace (13 MPH-ish?!?) counting the cheeseburger break. Not bad for soft trails and pushing part of the time. I am in awe.

    Anyway, thanks for the trail report, Big Lake got another 4" yesterday and it's below zero this morning which should help out.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

  7. #7
    Fatback
    Reputation: thirstywork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    705

    nicknames

    Hey Bill,

    Sounds like you guys had a long day. What's up with stealing Pete's stage name for Janice's nickname? (He should have never started with those "old man" comments.)
    Last edited by thirstywork; 01-24-2008 at 05:08 PM.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    67

    He, heh, heh....

    Well, golly! I just didn't think to do the math. That IS a very fast average, isn't it? Now, I'm not saying we did or didn't push our bikes to Eagle Song and back in a couple of hours, I'm just saying that the camera malfunctioned right around the Little Su/Su100 intersection. Damn camera! I totally would have provided more pictures if the camera hadn't just up and quit on us. I'm just not going to be able to provide any proof, so y'all will just have to draw your own conclusions. Or you could take my word for it...

  9. #9
    FatBike Fiend
    Reputation: Wildfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by bflemin
    Well, golly! I just didn't think to do the math. That IS a very fast average, isn't it? Now, I'm not saying we did or didn't push our bikes to Eagle Song and back in a couple of hours, I'm just saying that the camera malfunctioned right around the Little Su/Su100 intersection. Damn camera! I totally would have provided more pictures if the camera hadn't just up and quit on us. I'm just not going to be able to provide any proof, so y'all will just have to draw your own conclusions. Or you could take my word for it...
    Is there a urine test for cheeseburger?
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

  10. #10
    rio
    rio is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    978

    Dunno

    I have yet in all my years to see a cheeseburger pee !


    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Is there a urine test for cheeseburger?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Alhansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    68

    Where were all the hardcore riders today?

    This is Kitchen Pass day so we rode this morning from the Pt. Mac General Store to about 2 miles in on the "Outbound" Su trail where it forks off from the swamp snow machine trail. 'Machiners have packed that stretch of the trail pointing towards Mt. Susitna, so riding was nice up until the trail cuts north into the woods. We broke trail in 5" to 8" of snow. I used a set of Large Marge's for the first time and it's amazing how much better they do on softer stuff than the older SnowCat rims with the same tire. I don't know how far we went altogether, probably 15 or 20 miles round-trip.

    We pushed a little bit of the way on a couple parts, but mostly pedaled. That was a lot of work. My hats off to you guys who ride in that event, I just think, "What if it snows 10 or 12 inches during the race?" I am not conditioned to push a heavily laden vessel 100 miles through deep, new snow. 50 kilometers would be a chore. I'm afraid I'd go fetal.

    Anyway, it was 14 degrees below zero (at 8 am) when we started, and warmed up to -2 by the time we got back. We never saw any bikers or any fat-tire tracks. I expected to see the Real Athletes out there showing us how it's done, and I hoped you folks would have broken trail for us. Where were you?

    Jeff and Julie (who own the Point Mackenzie General Store) are very nice people, and I hope everyone who goes in there buys a meal from them. I had a very nice Elk Burger and some wonderful homemade french fries when we got back for about ten bones. I say this at the risk of being labeled a "spammer", but I am fairly confident this label does not apply here, because I don't think Spam is even ON the menu at the Point Mackenzie General Store.

    I didn't get home until about 4:30 pm, and as anyone who's ever had Kitchen Pass privledges knows, the Kitchen Pass expires just before 10 am (unless special permission has been granted, in which case it may be extended to no later than 1 pm), so it looks like I've been flagged with a potential "Problem" which will most likely result in the supension of next week's Kitchen Pass.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Stoph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    54
    Nice! I hope you AK locals will keep the trail reports coming. I signed up for my first ever Su 100 and will be around for the whole week before. I'd like to try to preview at least a little bit of the loop during that week, maybe Mon. 11th or Tues 12th? If anybody's riding and doesn't mind showing a Spud around I'd love to meet up!

    Fingers and toes crossed for excellent biking conditions! Everytime I look at your guys' weather it's about 30 to 40 degrees colder here (Idaho-Wyo), So I guess I'll pack the Hawaiian shirt too...

    Chris E.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.