Su 100- Mtbr.com

Thread: Su 100

This place needs an enema

Su 100

So what's the scoop on the race? Checking AK weather on the web today made it look like a brutal year for all of the disciplines. True? Maybe the meteorological types were just trying to scare off all potential future racers, and it wasn't really that bad...?

??

MC

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Soft Su

Hi MC !
    well, the conditions for the 50 were very soft and became a pushathon.
    The skiers have the advantage this year, however the bikers may take back time during the night as the snow firms up. check out www.susitna100.com
    Rio

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    So what's the scoop on the race? Checking AK weather on the web today made it look like a brutal year for all of the disciplines. True? Maybe the meteorological types were just trying to scare off all potential future racers, and it wasn't really that bad...?

??

MC

Beware of Doggerel

Looks SLOOOOOW

Go to the race roster/results link on the su100 website and then click 2005 results on the roster page and you can see how the racers are getting along. Looks slow. I don't know how quick the updates are but it shows that none of the bikers have checked into Luce's yet. (I'm writing this at 11:57pm) lots of bikers into the second check point. The trails in Anchorage are rock hard, with a nice little dusting of snow over top. Good riding. But it was warm today, way too warn.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    Hi MC !
    well, the conditions for the 50 were very soft and became a pushathon.
    The skiers have the advantage this year, however the bikers may take back time during the night as the snow firms up. check out www.susitna100.com
    Rio

mtbr member
    Looks like Brij is going to be the man this year.
    Hard to tell though, the updates keep getting scrambled.
    The riding must be terrible if people aren't making up time at night.
    Either that or they all burnt out pushing during the day.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Brij and the rookie

I agree he is very consistent. Also check out rookie Julie U. from Eagle River, Susitna rookie and super snowshoer.

Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Looks like Brij is going to be the man this year.
    Hard to tell though, the updates keep getting scrambled.
    The riding must be terrible if people aren't making up time at night.
    Either that or they all burnt out pushing during the day.

mtbr member

Brij definitely was the man

this year! He floated like a butterfly. I feel fat. A conservative 30 miles of pushing with this delapidated (or is that delaminated) body. Took a little (8 hour) vacation in Eaglesong then pushed on to Luce's. Rode the Yentna at a break-neck 3.6 mph, and the sun came out AGAIN for some t-shirt weather. A ridable surface off of Flat Horn to the finish under the light of a bright moon (turned off the headlamp) made me feel like I was riding 20 mph.

Caveman
    I rode out from Knik to the flathorn lake checkpoint saturday afternoon. It was quite enjoyable and social getting to see all my friends in the 50k - then when I got to flathorn that night I just had to fend off all jumbalaya and cornbread from the lovely cabin owners since I was out for fun!! Trail conditions were pretty bad but ridable and I the strech to flat horn was the only ridable portion of the whole course Brij said he pushed over 50 miles. I left the flathorn CP and rode back with Brij for moral support on sunday. I reminded him just as the sun was coming up that it was his 30th birthday!! horray for Brij and he won the biking division. hooray hooray!!!

Congrats to Janice, Jaques and everyone else I never saw who finished and had a nice long night pushing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Caveman

Julie U

She was amazing, Brij and I walked a mile or two with her in the morning to get her to the little Su checkpoint. She was winning the foot class but huring very very very bad after 85 miles of brutality. We hoped she would rest and try to replenish herself for the final 15 miles.

Anyhow after an hour at the finish I ride back down the trail to head back to Knik and a male runner passes me in total death stare mode... where's Julie? I think to myself. Then I see a few snowmachiners stopped and looking down I thought.. **** I come up to her and she was in a universe of hurt I never want to enter. I started walking with her holding her hand (which she grabbed) then totally collapsed after 20 steps. not a single glycogen molcule left. we repeated this again all the while I was trying to fend off the snowmachiners who wanted to take her in (1.5 miles to got after over 100 ) urging me that she needed to go to a hospital. So damn, after the third collapse I couldent argue and sadly lifted her on to the machine. intense to be a part of, I knew the mental implications of scratching that close to the end and just hope she dosent let it drive her too crazy till next year.
    Eric

Caveman

one more

just another photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feb 2005

Good job! what an adventure

Thanks, Eric, for the company during the ride back. I couldn't really hold a conversation, but just knowing that you were riding along with me made me put in a little extra effort. Thanks also for the photos.

Thanks to Jamie and Janice and others for being my heroes. Without your inspiration I would not do something like this year after year. It is the people doing the race and supporting it that make it fun. It is the camaraderie mixed with a little healthy compitition that makes us do these silly things.

It was knowing (or guessing) that Jamie and Janice might be right behind me the whole time that kept me up all night. Never before have I stayed up longer than 21 hours. I am still recovering from the disturbed sleep pattern.

It was the mis-information from the snow machiners and dog mushers that also made me work on two key qualities that I strive to embrace, trust and patience.

Finally I'd like to say that I was so impressed with Julie when she ran past me between the Big Su and Eaglesong. When I saw her headlamp and saw how fast it was progressing along the trail, I thought it was Jamie ... and that he had finally caught up with me. I was gald in a way that I would no longer be in first place, so I pulled over and waited for the headlamp to catch up to me. When she was close enough I saw that she was a runner. The thought hadn't even crossed my mind that a runner would catch up so fast. This way of thinking was completely reversed towards the end of the 50+ mile push, when I was thinking that it was really odd that no other runner had passed me. Surely pushing a 47 lbs thing with wheels must be a lot slower over 50 miles than pulling a 15 lbs sled. That just goes to show how far ahead she was from the other runners.

Long story short, after Eric and I walked with her that last mile to the Little Su CP, I was hoping that she rest and recovers enough to finish and keep her lead of the second runner. It was very sad for me to hear that she had to end it a mile or so from the finish line, especially when the finish for the Susitna100 was a 104 miles. Technically she had run somewhere between a 102 and 103 miles. I understand that she cannot be ranked to be fair to everybody, but maybe she deserves to be a "finisher".

Thanks again for the lovely time.
    What say we beat the skiers next year.
    Brij
    p.s.: About the login ID. Some folks on snowmachines told Eric (when he inquired about me) that they saw a "Little Japanese guy" pushing his bike across the Dismal Swamp ... Eric instantly knew they meant it was me. Hmm?

Beware of Doggerel

Good Job

Wow sounds brutal out there I can hardly wait until next week. Great job! now eat a lot of food and get some sleep, you deserve it.

That story about the runner is a real bummer.

Adam

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Idea! Susitna photos

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    just another photo
    Eric,

Can you email your photos of the race? I would like to post them on the our website. You can PM me the photos if you chose to do so.

Good luck to you and Adam and even Mike C next weekend.

Mike
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

FatBike Fiend
    Congratulations Brij!

Way to go. I met you out there the week before by Burma Road on a training ride and man can you float! Sounds like a tough race this year so atta boyz and galz are in order for you folks that stuck it out! I was thinking about you when I was on my couch drinking beer! How did the unicycle boys do in the 50K?

Wildfire

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Unicyclists in Little Su 50K

Well, the unicyclists started the race riding and finished the race riding, I saw that. They used up the full 12 hours and I heard they walked most of the way in between the start and finish. You gotta give them props for trying, but I don't think they'll soon be doing the 100 on those things.

Mike
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

Feb 2005

Bridge and Eric

First off, I extend my gratitude to Eric and Brij, for their encouragement and compassion during the Su100. Also, while many racers dropped out or fell way back, I watched Brij push/ride his bike onward through the relatively fresh, but heavy, unsettled, snow. Inspiring!!!!! Congratulations Brij on a tremendous achievement!!!
    Sorry I did not make it to join you. I made a classic Rookie mistake: I ran most of the race in soaking wet socks and shoes. When I finally passed out near the end my temp was in the low 90's. It took a few hours to get back to normal at the ER. Thanks Eric for holding my hand just before "black out".
    See you next year!
    Julie U

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    She was amazing, Brij and I walked a mile or two with her in the morning to get her to the little Su checkpoint. She was winning the foot class but huring very very very bad after 85 miles of brutality. We hoped she would rest and try to replenish herself for the final 15 miles.

Anyhow after an hour at the finish I ride back down the trail to head back to Knik and a male runner passes me in total death stare mode... where's Julie? I think to myself. Then I see a few snowmachiners stopped and looking down I thought.. **** I come up to her and she was in a universe of hurt I never want to enter. I started walking with her holding her hand (which she grabbed) then totally collapsed after 20 steps. not a single glycogen molcule left. we repeated this again all the while I was trying to fend off the snowmachiners who wanted to take her in (1.5 miles to got after over 100 ) urging me that she needed to go to a hospital. So damn, after the third collapse I couldent argue and sadly lifted her on to the machine. intense to be a part of, I knew the mental implications of scratching that close to the end and just hope she dosent let it drive her too crazy till next year.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hats off

Congrats to all racers who even started, knowing conditions were not worth a damn. It would have been easy to not even start, so my hats off to you for trying.
    And I know most of you know this, but for you rookies out there racing to Macgrath this weekend, ride where the dogs run. Lead dogs will find the firmest trail, so ride in their tracks when you can.
    With that said, I'm glad we're skiing back from Finger this year!
    Good luck to you all and we'll see 130 miles down the trail.....
    Pat