Still great riding in Kodiak- Mtbr.com
    No, that's not phonetic

Idea! Still great riding in Kodiak

Of course.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Jun 2008
    Lucky, we just got another inch of snow!!

No, that's not phonetic
    Firmly frozen and fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Kodiak riding

are the trails you two ride traveled by anyone else or just you & the riders that come to visit you guys? 'bout how many miles of trail or routes do you have on your 'private' paradise? just curious.
    breezy shade

No, that's not phonetic
    Mostly just us, the bears, and deer. Almost no one else here rides regularly. A few people walk the trails, but for the most part they are just there for the two of us and visitors. I have never figured out how many miles there are. It's a pretty convoluted network. Not huge mileage, but tons of variations possible.

mtbr member

spruce

i've only been to afognak once, kodiak twice, but have worked in the forests of SEAK for a long time. while there, and with your photos, i'm always struck by the migration of spruce. is it well documented? the topic of tree migration is a big deal in climate science as climate change outpaces the ability of trees to move.

oh, really nice pics, as always.

rider
    Aug 2007

well...there's 2 more of us that travel those trails... :)

tscheezy....you fail to mention your fellow kodiak riders. i got my own set of freddies this year.... the trails look great! i'll be out there again sometime soon. skiing has begun here in anchorage, so, the titus stay in kodiak. have fun and congrats to the 2 of you.

No, that's not phonetic
    Sorry Annie. I had the two of you listed under the visiting dignitary category. My bad.

It went and got a bit snowy down here recently and I have not been riding in a few days now. The skiing on the lakes has been good though.

No, that's not phonetic
    We have firm snow with thin coverage down at sea level. Sunny, breezy weather today.

Last edited by tscheezy; 11-30-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Sep 2008
    my father lives in kodiak. he works for KANA. Every summer when i visit him i have always wondered if people ride Mt. Pillar (the one in town i think) or Barometer(?) which is out by the airport. Its good to see there people to brave the bears up there lol. When we go fly-fishing at the buskin i almost crap myself everytime i see a bear, but most of the locals dont mind unless they get too close for comfort.

Andrew

No, that's not phonetic
    We have had a thaw this past week. Some pretty stormy, wet weather melted most of the snow and ice down low. Today it was sunny and calm and just beautiful out. We did a nice long ride in the woods:

Today:

7 days ago:

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Hucked any dead whales lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Sep 2008
    Thats sweet. Im glad the weather is nice. We've got a few inches on the ground here in MT, with more coming tonight.

No, that's not phonetic
    No whales recently. None fresh enough.

Here's tomorrow's weather.

Last edited by tscheezy; 12-07-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Sep 2008
    so looks like your gonna get some more rain/snow?

No, that's not phonetic

...and it's STILL great...

Monday and Tues were iffy, but then it cooled off a bit and dried out nicely, and the riding was great since mid-week. Perfect, in fact. Clear, right around freezing, not too windy. Just stunning. I did "night" rides all week (i.e., after 5 PM ) and today went out at 1PM with Barny and Felix for a longer ride. Rock hard frozen dry ground, 33 deg F, sunshine... just stunning.

Last edited by tscheezy; 12-13-2008 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member
    What studded snow tires do you guys use?

No, that's not phonetic
    My runaway favorite is the new lighter Freddies Revenze 336. The size is nice, the grip is unparalleled, the durability is excellent, and the weight reasonable. Next would be the Hakka 300. Barny rides those. Good grip, very light, a bit delicate. Extreme 296 (the old ones) are very good too, decent grip, good durability, but a bit porky for the size. I am not a fan of the new Extreme 294 tires in the 29er size at all. The grip absolutely stinks imo. 294 studs is way too few for a tire circumference that big, and too many of those studs are spaced to far out on the side knobs.

Today:

Sep 2008
    hey, do you guys have a bike shop on the island? I was up there this summer and i remember there was some bmx bikes in a shop called 54(degress) north i think? Im suprised Mack's or Cy's doesnt carry any.

No, that's not phonetic
    58 Deg N is basically the only bike shop around. People don't come to Kodiak to go bike shopping, normally. It's not a big bike town.

customized
    Sep 2003
    What are the riding temps like when these pics were taken?

Sep 2008
    thats a bummer, it looks like you guys have some pretty sweet trails. When i come up this summer i might have to bring my bike.

No, that's not phonetic
    Temps around freezing.

helenarider- let me know when you will be in town. You won't find these trails by yourself. I have a lot of Turners sitting around so if you need a bike (size large or small) I could probably cover you.

No, that's not phonetic
    New years eve ride around Cape Chiniak. The temps were around 20, a breeze was blowing onshore, and the light was beautiful. An incredibly pretty ride. We rode out to the cape inland through the forest and then rode over headlands and along the beaches back. When the sand got soft behind the beaches we just hopped on the frozen lagoon behind the beach berm.

New years eve we spent with a bunch of folks out in Chiniak and we had a super time. Today dawned clear and calm. the day warmed up nicely and we went hiking at Narrow Cape. It was dead calm and almost warm out. There were lots of whales working the entrance to Ugak Bay. The buffalo were milling lazily. Just an incredible day.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Wow! What a way to ring in the new year. Looks like fantastic conditions. It's minus 17 at my house right now, minus 27 in the low area surrounding Campbell Creek. I'm having a tough time mustering up some courage to brave it and ride. It's just way too easy to choose option B: some bike maintenance in the warm garage.

It's amazing to see that you still have no snow! Happy New Year, looks like it's off to a good start! Super photos.

Want me to mail you some Nokian studs for the lugs on your shoes?
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    May 2007
    OMG!

Thanks for all the wonderful pics. Made my day looking at this.

Mother Earth lives!

No, that's not phonetic
    We have had some wind, but otherwise clear and beautiful weather for almost 2 weeks now. Temps down to 15F at times, but mostly around 20. Not too bad. We have hardly had any snow down at sea level so far this winter. It's been great for riding. Looks like the weather is supposed to hold for a while more.

Hey Randy, I have a bag of Nokian Studs. Actually studding shoes is a PITA though. Getting the depth of the hole right is a challenge, as is making a hole the mushroom head of the stud will seat in effectively is also a bugger.

No, that's not phonetic
    More beautiful weather down here. Sunny, calm, and reasonably warm for January. If you were out near the coast in the sun it was in the 40's. A bit chillier back in the valleys where we rode today.

We started out in Middle Bay and rode out the (very icy) access road up Salonie Creek to the rifle range:

Then it was a few miles of grassy riding through the cottonwoods to get to the river's edge:

The rest of the ride is on the gravel river bed which is often dry. Salonie Creek tends to be ephemeral and prone to flooding, so it is one of the very few watercourses on Kodiak that is wide braided gravel.

There is no trail. We just ride up the river bed over the sand, gravel, and cobbles. The ice is the smoothest surface so we followed that when available. It was probably half ice, half rock.

My first ride on my new King bottom bracket. Mmmmmm.... King.

We ride up the river to a point where the valley narrows and it enters a gorge and there is always water flowing. You climb almost imperceptibly the whole time and when you turn around suddenly the riding seems a lot easier.

There are some sections of chunk to negotiate, but if you pick your lines the whole route is rideable.

Miles of rock:

Leaving the river bed and heading back to the trail in the woods:

Sometimes it is just easier to ride in the creek than deal with the alders:

On the trail out:

Last edited by tscheezy; 01-26-2009 at 12:51 AM.

mtbr member

Lets go back a few years

I found your post while searching for information on Turner Sultans.

WOW does this bring back memories. I lived in Kodiak from 1990 to 1997 and probably rode most the places you show in your pics. Only this was a time before full suspension bikes. Heck even front suspension. I sill have my Cannondale M500, man did I ride that thing hard.

Here's a couple photo's, circa 1992. Can you guess the location?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    is riding that great. it looks cold. but the riding looks pretty sweet.
    Ride & Smile

LBS Owner
    Jan 2013
    Just wanted to kind of update this, Felix, hope you don't mind. I bought the bike shop in 2012 and since then it has taken great strides in becoming an important shop here. There are tons of riders now, and miles upon miles of fresh trails. I've got 20 years in bike shops and grew up working at this very shop. We have a pretty competitive selection of Specialized bikes, and are affiliated with nearly every high end brand you can think of. And our selection of parts is crazy for a shop on an island in Alaska. People from the mainland routinely order parts from the shop. We've got a pump track out back and we're always down to ride. In the last two seasons the shop has become a regular place for everyone to meet up before heading into the woods. Find us on facebook and stop in to say hi
    www.facebook.com/58degrees

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58DegreesNorth View Post
    Just wanted to kind of update this, Felix, hope you don't mind. I bought the bike shop in 2012 and since then it has taken great strides in becoming an important shop here. There are tons of riders now, and miles upon miles of fresh trails. I've got 20 years in bike shops and grew up working at this very shop. We have a pretty competitive selection of Specialized bikes, and are affiliated with nearly every high end brand you can think of. And our selection of parts is crazy for a shop on an island in Alaska. People from the mainland routinely order parts from the shop. We've got a pump track out back and we're always down to ride. In the last two seasons the shop has become a regular place for everyone to meet up before heading into the woods. Find us on facebook and stop in to say hi
    www.facebook.com/58degrees
    Not sure who Felix is, but welcome to the party and nice shop!
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

LBS Owner
    Jan 2013
    Oh, I thought Felix was the guy that started this thread. Thought I had seen some pictures of him on that intense but I must be mistaken, and as I am now remembering, his is blue. Do you still live in Kodiak?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great news about your efforts to push the Kodiak MTB scene! The original poster is Phillip - once a prolific poster on MTBR, but last couple of years - not so much. I think he's still in Kodiak? I'm not - or I would swing by :-)

Anyway, I think news like this deserves a new thread, with your facebook link. Go for it!

Members who have read this thread: 0