STA Trails take a beating- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

STA Trails take a beating

After the windstorm we just had, the new trails have encountered some serious damage. There are fallen trees almost continuously on the southern intermediate trail, big uprooted spruces have taken out craters of trail, and the tangles make even trying to hike the trails a chore. I lost count of how many trees are now obstacles.

I was truly shocked, almost heartbroken even, to see the mess the winds created. We've just been handed a setback folks, so let's rise up to the challenge of helping out with chainsaws next opportunity we have.

akdeluxe, here's a natural cyclocross course for ya.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member

Deadfall Clearing Session Tomorrow!

Well, we built Brown Bear by hand, I suppose we can deal with the deadfall. I propose a work party tomorrow, Sunday (Oct. 12th) at 1:00 p.m. starting at Prospect. We'll go south off the Gasline onto the intermediate trail. Bring chain saws, work gloves, and a come-along if you have one. I'll bring some trail tools also.

QB
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 10-12-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Jun 2008
    heey id be willing to help no idea were Prospect is at thought!!
    I live near tudor&lake otis, so if anyone could give me some vage direction, id be up there helping!!

Jun 2008
    i think i found out were its at!! NEED to love google maps
    ill be biking up there!! so unless i die on the ride up ill be there

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Great! Please Help!!!

Come find us on the South Intermediate Trail. If there are enough people we'll send a crew out onto the Advanced Trail. Again, from the Prospect Heights Parking Lot, walk down the Gasline toward HIlltop Ski Area. Take the first trail entrance on the left marked South Intermediate Trail.

If we have enough people I'll send a crew around onto the Advanced Loop.

mtbr member

On the bright side...

There may be some good material to make future log rides!

Jul 2008
    Is there firewood for the taking for those who help out?

Bikes are good

Carnage

It's like that behind my house too. Trees down on every trail.

I wish I could help. Dr's orders are to not lift anything. Trees and chainsaws are on that list I believe.

You guys are awesome though.

is buachail foighneach me
    you mean you can't operate a chainsaw with one arm? what kind of man are you?

mtbr member

South Intermediate Loop Good to Go!

Title should read: ENTIRE INTERMEDIATE LOOP GOOD TO GO!

Photo 1: Endorando's "before" photo
    Photo 2: Brett takes on the mayhem (he's a former logger)
    Photo 3: Julian, "The Chainsaw Fairy," has been clearing Llama for years. This is the giant root wad that blocked the trail, the same wad that Rando stood on to take his photo.
    Photo 4: Ben after the Great Root Wad Uprising
    Photo 5: "After" shot

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it: a dozen volunteers with chainsaws of various sizes, a couple of hand hand saws, an ax and a rock bar CLEANED the South Intermediate Loop! If you saw the devastation on this trail from not only fallen trees (cross- and length-wise) but their root wads, you wouldn't think it possible to clear even one section of trail in one day.

Thanks to everyone who came out and did the grunt work to get this trail open! It really warmed my heart to have such great support. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

So here are a couple of pics to entertain you. The root wads were a hoot. Not only were some of them as big as my Mini, I could've parked the Mini in some of the holes that they left. The most amusing thing was that on some of them you could cut through the base of the trunk and the whole wad would spring back up! Well, some of them required a bit of coaxing, but once back in place you could hardly tell that the tree was ever uprooted.

We still have the Advanced Loop to clear and the north section of the Lower Loop. There is a work party planned for Saturday, October 18th meeting at 1:00 p.m. at the Prospect Heights Parking Lot. Proceed down the Gasline and take the second trail entrance on the right, the one blocked off by a chain. The Advance Loop goes right toward Llama, and also left toward the Gasline. It's not as long as the Intermediate Loop, so hopefully it will take less than 4 hours to clear. Today's effort took 4 1/2 hours.

This was nothing short of a fantastic effort. Thanks Guys!

QB
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 10-12-2008 at 10:12 PM.

mtbr member

A few more photos

Photo 1: A Mini-sized Root Wad
    Photo 2: At least it missed my sign!
    Photo 3: Skip's Root Wad
    Photo 4: Skip's Gerber Mini-Saw that Took on the Root Wad! This is an amazing tool.
    Photo 5: Icicle growing sideways. Go figure!

Bikes are good

Ohhhh man. DANG IT!!

Right when the trail is getting fun to ride, you guys have to come in with your chainsaws and make it "rideable for everyone." Never with the stud trials rider in mind. Tell you what.

Just kidding. That looked like fun. Awesome job everyone.

Members who have read this thread: 0