Spring Riding: Where is it Dry?- Mtbr.com
    Elitest thrill junkie

Spring Riding: Where is it Dry?

Probably NOWHERE right now, but how about one thread to post where you've ridden and it's actually dry/firm? Hopefully we won't have to wait too long. Anchorage, Peninsula, Valley, lets get some reports, maybe, just maybe, it will cut down on the morons riding through the muddy areas.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bikes are good
    Bluff trail by Kincaid. Really good this time of year. Dome is way soft, frozen underneath still. No go for hiking even. (I hope people aren't hiking it.) That's all I got.

Gullrock might be rad now that I'm thinking of it. Maybe a run down there this weekend.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Most of the established trails in the MatSu Greenbelt were good when I was out last weekend (Long lake, picnic table, the old rooty section that has come to be known as rootbear. The bear trails are soft and muddy in many places, so avoid them. I'm not sure on the moose trails, but they are probably generally good as they are well established and are generally in high, well draining areas.

The double-track is also swampy in many places. I plan to check out the MatSu River Park trails this weekend and will post about those as well.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Most of the established trails in the MatSu Greenbelt were good when I was out last weekend (Long lake, picnic table, the old rooty section that has come to be known as rootbear. The bear trails are soft and muddy in many places, so avoid them. I'm not sure on the moose trails, but they are probably generally good as they are well established and are generally in high, well draining areas.

The double-track is also swampy in many places. I plan to check out the MatSu River Park trails this weekend and will post about those as well.
    I'm not exactly following, you mean everything except the doubletracks and new singletracks? Not exactly much, but we can't be beggars this time of year.

IDK about gull rock, seems kind of early with all the snow still on the sides of the hills, but if you go, let us know!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The Railroad trail in Palmer is awesome right now! It's in the best shape I've seen it in a while. Someone has done a lot of work clearing debris and fixing wash-outs.

mtbr member
    Its pretty easy to string together 6 to 10 miles of trail riding there between the college, the lake/greeenbelt , and crevasse moraine areas. The farm roads are mostly good and the horse and social trails are as well. So, yes, most areas other than the new single track and some sections of double track are good to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, Bluff Trail is nice, you can string together some interesting riding with it and a few offshoots and down to the coastal trail. Looks like some of the bowling alley side trails may be good in a few days if the conditions keep up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnotestine View Post
    The Railroad trail in Palmer is awesome right now! It's in the best shape I've seen it in a while. Someone has done a lot of work clearing debris and fixing wash-outs.
    Railroad trail? Can you give some particulars on that? never heard of it. (I know the green belt trails)

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Palmer Moose Creek Railroad trail I presume? looks like google found it. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabez View Post
    Palmer Moose Creek Railroad trail I presume? looks like google found it. Thanks,
    Yup, that's the one. Rode it with my daughter yesterday and it is in good shape overall. Some hike a bike sections in the landslide areas, but riders more ...skilled than I could ride most of these sections.

The Palmer bike park trails at the MatSu River Park are in good shape overall. A few mushy spots in the normal areas, but the flow trail and skills trail are awesome right now.

I'm heading over to the greenbelt this afternoon to check those trails out. I think that the wind, low humidity, and lack of precip since last week will mean that much of these trails will be good riding.

mtbr member
    Well, the greenbelt and bear trails are 95% perfect. There are a couple of mucky areas, but to this point they are only mucky on the surface. The base is solid yet and they aren't rutting out too badly at all. The moose and horses are causing more damage than bikes for sure. If you can, ride fat to help those boggy areas. Even skinny isn't leaving too many marks. The one area of concern is the middle of the big, tight s curve on bear bottom. There is standing water in between the two curves and the bottom part of the s is pretty sloppy. Another week or two of good weather and this should be dried up as well.

I didn't head to the north part of the area to check out the moose trails, but assume they are likewise in decent riding shape.

FatBike Fiend
    Rode the Rippy today. 100% dry other than the armored creek crossings and one puddle the size of a dinner plate. The trail is in super good shape. The parking lot has garbage everywhere but that's another story.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Bluffs are great. Trails on the south side still need to dry. Short sections are ridable and can be linked to the bluffs, but you can't go too far before you're turned around by soggy stuff that will rut. Getting there though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I just move up from the lower 48 and can't wait to get out and try some trails here, mind helping me out with where Rippy and the Bluffs are? Thanks!

Bikes are good
    The bluff trail is out at Kincaid. Park at the jodphur lot, by the motorcycle jumping place. Ride through the woods and across the sand dunes (walk rather). At the high point lookers right across the dunes is a trail that meanders along the ridge. Several turn offs that take you away from it and onto the sta trails. Pretty technical, a few off the bike spots, but a real cool piece of trail this time of year. I have w pic but no idea how to post them anymore. Imagine ocean, steep singletrack, and mountains.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Conversely, you can park next to the Chalet, the parking spots on the southern side of the road just before the roundabout are good for this. Locate the soccer field on the south side (directly south and west from the parking spots) and you'll see a double-track/ski trail heading up the hill that is directly left of the soccer field. This will lead to some of the bluff trails, of which there are a few options, some branches, etc. Look for relatively clear singletrack. Usually keep to the right, except for some steep ones that lead real far down. There are lots of little ups and downs though. If you take the correct turns/stay on the trail, you'll reach an overlook to the motorcycle pit, described above.

There was a dog owner on the bluffs last night who's dogs had gotten into a porky-pine, they were not happy as the owner pulled the spines from their mouth. No leash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrozz09 View Post
    I just move up from the lower 48 and can't wait to get out and try some trails here, mind helping me out with where Rippy and the Bluffs are? Thanks!
    The Rippy trail is out in the Valley at the end of Maud Road. A nice little ride. Nothing too difficult or technical. This is a double-track trail for all users - motorized and not. Some beautiful scenery back there, though.

Speaking of the Valley and riding -Spring Riding: Where is it Dry?-maymoonlitmiles.jpg

Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers is holding our May Moonlit Miles ride this Friday night. Starting across from the bike shop in Palmer and either riding the MatSu River park bike trails or the Palmer to Moose Creek Rail Trail. We usually ride about two hours, fairly easy pace, and generally suitable for all riders and skill levels. Come check out some of the cool stuff we're doing in the Valley.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks! I'll defiantly have to check out those trails. I made it out to Kincaid once before it got too muddy and can't wait to see more of the singletrack. Seems like there are some good trails up here.

mtbr member
    Rode Gull Rock yesterday. Few soggy sections but 85% dry/tacky. Skeeters are out in force.
    To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Rode Gull Rock yesterday. Few soggy sections but 85% dry/tacky. Skeeters are out in force.
    Maybe this should be attempted for the weekend if if stays dry...

Bikes are good
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskyguy View Post
    Rad. Thanks for the beta.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Baxter Bog on the eastside of town is GTG if your looking to burn some laps. Good trail for the kiddo's.

mtbr member
    Any reports from upper hillside around Prospect down thru STA (yellow jacket, stinger, etc)? Those typically dry out and firm up due to exposure to wind, and less coverage.

I walked up Drone last Saturday while swinging by hilltop, lots of damage down low, skinny tire, and fatbike also. They were soft, but not nearly muddy and rutted as Ive seen before.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hillside is a for sure NO GO right now. We went up Drone a little bit and it's VERY soupy and rutted out, turned around and drove up to Prospect to check the upper trails. Made it down Hornets Nest about 150 feet and it was the same.

Kincaid, on the other hand is coming together nicely. The Bluff Trail is totally dry and there are a couple of spots on C$ and Good Greef that still need a few days. We didn't check out anything further in (like Bolling Alley) or the new stuff. If C$ is a little wet, all of those will definitely be soupy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    As of this morning,

Sand Pit is good to go. You can go about a half mile in either direction of Bowling Alley until you reach a rutted section though, so that's still a no-go.

C$ from Sand Pit to Ice Box is dry. Ice box is dry. Good Greef is wet/rutted after the first tabletop, so that's a no-go.

Didn't do L Train today, but tried two days ago, again, quickly ran into wet rutted stuff that wasn't good to ride.

Rode the other way from Mighty Bike to C$, that's fine, but a few muddy spots that way, so I didn't connect it.

Should be drying out rapidly with this sunshine, but lots of stuff is still too wet to ride, totally possible to set up a nice ride with Bluff Trails, then taking C$ and doing an out n back on Sand Pit, then come back up C$ on a slightly different route to loop back into the bluffs, can ride for a while that way.

I might try to head back out later tonight for a little more exploring.
    Last edited by Jayem; 05-01-2015 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm curious if you guys are turning around when you get to the mud or being tempted to ride throughout it. I still haven't been out there on my bike other than to loop the bluff and the coastal trail back. What troubles me is advertising here that certain stuff is good, which inevitably leads people right into the tore up muddy sections. People don't like to do out and back or don't know there way around well enough to connect just the dry portions. To me, it seems like the better policy is to wait until the trails are dry. I'v been out fixing ruts and clearing drains on Middle earth and people just ride by, knowing that they are trashing the trail. It blows my mind. The newer north side stuff is especially fragile and saturated right now. Maybe not every inch of it, but enough that it will take a substantial effort to fix what is getting trashed. Reports of the Hillside trails echo the same situation.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    So I went out and look at L Train, QFB, and Good Greeff. Sorry for my scepticism. With the exception of QFB, they are 95 percent good. Stuff is drying out fast. That being said, The North side stuff was wet as of wednesday night.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Prospect and above still generally wet & soggy. Okay to walk the dogs, but not even close to dry enough to bike without doing damage and leaving ruts.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    I'm curious if you guys are turning around when you get to the mud or being tempted to ride throughout it. I still haven't been out there on my bike other than to loop the bluff and the coastal trail back. What troubles me is advertising here that certain stuff is good, which inevitably leads people right into the tore up muddy sections. People don't like to do out and back or don't know there way around well enough to connect just the dry portions. To me, it seems like the better policy is to wait until the trails are dry. I'v been out fixing ruts and clearing drains on Middle earth and people just ride by, knowing that they are trashing the trail. It blows my mind. The newer north side stuff is especially fragile and saturated right now. Maybe not every inch of it, but enough that it will take a substantial effort to fix what is getting trashed. Reports of the Hillside trails echo the same situation.
    I turn around. I don't think everyone does.

QFB has like a 3 foot pool at one point (looked over while on Ice Box). Stuff isn't quite ready yet, I was still running into some spots that would rut if I kept going, but lots is ridable and you can put together some fun now.

I'm not surprised about the North section, it is the last to start getting sunlight, not to mention not as compacted.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Gull Rock was pretty good, did not disappoint! I'd say about 75% of the way in there were a few bogs I walked around rather than thru, due to rutting, but the majority of the surface is good! Should be amazing next weekend if we don't get any significant precip! Blue jay didn't seem to care about me. Spring Riding: Where is it Dry?-image.jpgSpring Riding: Where is it Dry?-img_0213.jpgAttachment 985839Spring Riding: Where is it Dry?-img_0223.jpg

mtbr member
    Bluff is absolutely awesome, some good riding can be strung together between there and Sand Pit....

Dramatic increase in skeeters from Saturday to yesterday, pack the bug dope...its game on

mtbr member
    Kepler's got it going on! Sweet riding out there the last few days/week.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Down View Post
    Kepler's got it going on! Sweet riding out there the last few days/week.
    Good.

I was turning onto Bowling Alley from Good Greef (which was really "good to go") yesterday and a family was coming out. I asked them, "how was it, any muddy spots/bogs?". They said "no, it's ALL good to go!". I then said, "really? Just a few days ago there were places to walk around?". She reiterated, "no, it's really dry". Then as I rode off, I heard her say something more, but couldn't make it out. Turns out, no, it's not all "good to go", still a places rutting badly that you want to walk around on the East end. I'd say it was slightly worse than last week mid-week, but those bogs, maybe 5 or so of them, are fairly easy to get around by walking, a few are pretty "greasy" though".

L-train has one bad bog right after the first table top. Please walk around it.

Toilet Bowl is great.

I suspect Tower Power will be one of the worst trails on that side, but I haven't tried it yet.

As others have said, I wish more people were respectful of the trails.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Upper Tower Power great, no bogs like on east Bowling Alley. Kitchen Sink great too. Unfortunately, Bowling Alley probably sees the most traffic, and the 4-5 bogs that exist are just being ridden right through. Some things are starting to firm up though, would be nice to do a work party or something soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Took the fatbike to gold mint yesterday and it ain't close to ready, won't be ridable until June at the earliest. Lots of deep rotten snow patches on it and some short muddy patches but it's mostly the snow. The shuttle downhill in hatcher is also unrideable at this point due to mud. Give those trails a few more weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm coming home for the weekend on the 28th, doesn't seem like it's worth it to bring the bike at this point.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Entire south side of Kincaid is great now. Haven't tried the North yet. Going to try Hillside STA today, suspect it will be great like most of the stuff in Kincaid. Bogs mentioned before are now gone.

Gull Rock should be screaming great this weekend.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report Jayem. STA Fbook page has posted that Hillside trails are G2G