Speedway Cycles Interview- Mtbr.com
    Anchorage, AK

Speedway Cycles Interview

Here is a nice interview of Greg Matyas and Jason Hill from Anchorage's Speedway Cycle Shop:

Interview: Fatback Cycles? Greg Matyas and Jason Hill Talk About The New Alaskan Adventure
    --Peace

Elitest thrill junkie
    The blutos are going to fail!? What about my car's shocks, will they be ok?

Nice interview though, good background and insight. Definitely cool and we are grateful to the pioneers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anchorage, AK
    --Peace

Anchorage, AK
    read that as well and talked to jason in the shop yesterday at length. great guys. i'm fortunate enough to own both a fatback and a 9zero7. here's an article that bikerumor.com did on the 24th of last month about chain reaction and 9zero7..Interview: Talking Fatbike Future with 9:ZERO:7?s Founders Bill & Jamie
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I picked up my RM blizzard last night from Speedway. It's my first purchase from them and it was a positive experience. I feel that they give me an honest answer to my questions and they're very friendly. The Trek store has treated me the same even after I chose a competitors product. I haven't been to Chain Reaction and, I am not going to comment on the Bicycle Shop....

SI-I/-\I\IE

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post

Nice interview though, good background and insight. Definitely cool and we are grateful to the pioneers.
    Cars and snowmachines use coil spring shocks rather than air. Air springs won't always fail, but not much to be done when they do.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork View Post
    Cars and snowmachines use coil spring shocks rather than air. Air springs won't always fail, but not much to be done when they do.
    Not true, quite a few cars use air springs these days. Might want to look it up.
    Last edited by Jayem; 11-05-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

I think what he was saying is that don't expect the Bluto to perform in cold temps just as well as in warmer ones as it's currently configured. There's no reason an air shock could not work in cold temp with tuning. But expecting the pressure response, seals, damping fluid, and lubrication to perform just as well at -20F and 80F is pretty unrealistic while still keeping it lightweight and relatively affordable.
    It seems like the Bluto is really aimed at the lower 48 market as way to expand the fatbike market to the warmer climes. So I think the added expense of trying to make it work well in extreme cold weather wouldn't really be justified, especially since there isn't as much need for suspension in the winter (unless you're on the trails after the horse riders do a number on them).

is buachail foighneach me
    Not true, quite a few cars use air springs these days. Might want to look it up.
    Air bags or air sprung telescoping shocks? I know air bag suspension works fine in winter. Bikes use much lighter components though, and I've heard of a lot of suspension forks failing in winter. EDIT: failing in winter where temps are below @ 0F

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    Did anybody else notice that it must be true that Pugsleys pull to one side because of the offset? Craig said it is so.
    Latitude 61

sluice box
    ^^^^^^^I just kept turning left like NASCAR.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tkmmbean View Post
    I think what he was saying is that don't expect the Bluto to perform in cold temps
    No, he was quite clear:

The Blutos are going to fail under normal winter conditions where we are
    Given that normal winter temps are in the 20s, I'm going to say that comment was BS. I know he's a nice guy, he's just being an itsy bitsy bit biased, not to mention I saw the guy out with the Bluto testing last winter right before the news blew. The guy tested it all last winter, late at night, in Alaska.

No, he was quite clear:

Given that normal winter temps are in the 20s, I'm going to say that comment was BS. I know he's a nice guy, he's just being an itsy bitsy bit biased, not to mention I saw the guy out with the Bluto testing last winter right before the news blew. The guy tested it all last winter, late at night, in Alaska.
    The average temperature in January, in Anchorage, is 11 degrees. It might be normal for us to get up to 20, but it's also normal for us to get down to -20. Without even mentioning Fairbanks. Considering Speedway sells the Bluto, and some of their employees ride it, I'm not seeing the bias.

sluice box
    Cars and snowmachines use coil spring shocks rather than air.
    They are getting more and more common in brapland. With Carbon A-arms and air shocks trying to lighten up the sled.
    Fox Float 3 Evol RC2 $1400 a shock dual air sprung. Boy I'm glad I got a fatback over a RMK.
    Adjustments
    Infinitely adjustable dual air spring
    •MAIN Air Chamber (ride height)
    •EVOL Air Chamber (bottom-out/roll control)
    Wide-range rebound adjustment
    Dual-Speed Compression (DSC) adjustment
    Air springs won't always fail, but not much to be done when they do.
    Yes I have seen air shocks fail on snowgoes and adaptive monoskis, they end up limping out of the woods like a hoodrat scraper. Better to just to just sell the shocks if the customer wants them.
    Last edited by Co-opski; 11-13-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Bikes are good
    My pugs was great until I realized how good a fatback was. The rear wheel rubbed the chain stay under a load, terribly heavy, awkward riding position. Great for realizing how cool winter riding is
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    I think if your expectations of the Bluto are for the same level of performance in sub 0 temps as warmer summer temps, you'll be disappointed even to the point where you may use the word 'fail' to describe it. I can see things going wrong with the internals if using it the same way as you would in the summer. That said, why not lock it out and leave it that way till May? Use it as a rigid fork for the winter. I really can't see there being enough wear and tear from normal Anchorage use due to cold stress to cause 'failure'. We don't have massive freeze/thaw cycles, we don't salt roads, and the city snow is much 'cleaner than lower 48 city snow (less grimy, etc..). IMO I think the word 'fail' refers to the fact that the Bluto will suffer performance issues, is not ideal for riding the ITI or other endurance races, and is unnecessary for AK winter riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I guess you have a different meaning of "fail" than I do and he wasn't referring to the extreme cold, but "normal" riding conditions, as he said in the interview, but in any case, I wouldn't run a suspension fork locked out, that's usually asking for trouble. That's where you're going to blow seals and damage it. I don't think it has a "true" lockout thankfully, but still, accelerated wear and tear is probably the result of running it there all the time.

More info on this issue:

Turnagain Cures Cold Weather Blues with new ETR Seal Kit for RockShox Bluto Fat Bike Forks

Rock Shox agrees with Greg that their forks are not designed for sub freezing conditions and that they are likely to fail below 10 F.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Rock Shox agrees with Greg that their forks are not designed for sub freezing conditions and that they are likely to fail below 10 F.
    Still don't agree, Greg said it will fail during normal winter conditions. Using it under 10F is what RS doesn't recommend, maybe Greg meant normal winter conditions for Fairbanks?, but he made a pretty broad statement that showed quite a bit of bias. Average low in January is 11F, the coldest month (so not the average cold temp). Now, could you get it to fail by riding it below or near these temps? Probably, due to at least accelerated wear, but Greg was quite clear in his statement.

The cold weather seals will help, also from the fatibke thread, looks like RS is also working on their own set of cold-weather seals.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    I think we could all agree to disagree what "Normal Winter Conditions" are in Alaska. Everyone will have their own opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Huh? It is hard to remember a year when it has not been well below zero in the Campbell Tract for at least half a dozen rides. In my opinion at least . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Still don't agree, Greg said it will fail during normal winter conditions. Using it under 10F is what RS doesn't recommend, maybe Greg meant normal winter conditions for Fairbanks?, but he made a pretty broad statement that showed quite a bit of bias. Average low in January is 11F, the coldest month (so not the average cold temp). Now, could you get it to fail by riding it below or near these temps? Probably, due to at least accelerated wear, but Greg was quite clear in his statement.

The cold weather seals will help, also from the fatibke thread, looks like RS is also working on their own set of cold-weather seals.
    This continues to be an argumentative statement. As stated by Sean and Rockshox, the forks are not ideal below 10 degrees. At the very least there is a greater potential for failure. I've had a fork on my mtb fail at 5 degrees. I ride regularly (this year is the exception) in temps between -20 and 20 above. I'd venture to say that not everyone rides when the weather is nice. Take a ride anywhere north of Anchorage (Pt Mac, Su/Yentna, Willow, Big Lake, Hatchers, Exit Glacier) and the weather is generally colder than in Anchorage....then think about people in Talkeetna and definitely Fairbanks.

In the end, the forks are pretty sweet. Especially for the weather we've had and the bumpier than usual trails. They may or may not fail...I guess I won't have to worry about it, since I'll continue to ride rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I imagine Greg is probably out riding right now not really giving a damn about Rockshox Bluto forks... hahaha

Merry Christmas, happy holidays or whatever else you celebrate!

Anchorage, AK

Speedway Cycles Interview

^^thissss...
    two wheel livin'..

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    A quote from an article in ADN published today (12/29/2014):

"Anchorage has an average of about 25 days per calendar year when the official temperature, which is recorded by a weather station at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, starts with a minus, Ottenweller said.

The frigid year of 1957 had a record 75 below-zero days."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    A quote from an article in ADN published today (12/29/2014):

"Anchorage has an average of about 25 days per calendar year when the official temperature, which is recorded by a weather station at the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, starts with a minus, Ottenweller said.

The frigid year of 1957 had a record 75 below-zero days."
    Was it this story?

2014 may be first year ever with no below-zero temps in Anchorage | Alaska Dispatch

With just a few days left in 2014, it’s all but certain that this year will go down in history as the first recorded calendar year that the temperature never officially dipped below zero in Anchorage, the National Weather Service said Sunday.