speaking of hubs...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

speaking of hubs...

Anybody got any thughts re: those generator hubs that Billy Whozawatza of Arctic Cycles had at the O2 and Adrenaline show? I live in Bethel and there just arn't a whole lotta place to charge my headlamp out on the tundra...

is buachail foighneach me
    there's probably more info than any of us could possibly give you on the peter white bikes page:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/plight.asp

mtbr member
    I've already looked at that page and am intreguied(sp?). I have to consider the source, he is the salesman, afterall. I was looking for practical, realworld experiences and opinions...thx

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman
    Anybody got any thughts re: those generator hubs that Billy Whozawatza of Arctic Cycles had....
    I had a chance to check it out over the weekend. I participated in a ride alongside Billy for the entire day, and gave it a keen eye the morning we started. It's German made, seems to be of a very high quality, and amazingly it adds a barely noticeable amount of spinning resistance between on and off. I'd definitely consider it if I was in your remote situation. Maybe Billy will chime in with more details and impressions, since I don't know anything about availability or pricing.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Billy--Arctic Cycles
    Oct 2007

Generator Hub That WORKS

Peter White Cycles is the place that I found my hub generator--I use the Schmidts. It is great for us up here in Alaska because you only need to be going 3-4 MPH to make this work.

I am also using the 6 Volt 3 Watt light. This halogen light is fantastic--I have been commuting with this for the last 3 weeks--with no problems at all.

I used to spend hundreds of dollars a year in batteries--now with this-- no batteries are needed anymore! I believe all the bike shops in town should be able to get this generator hub & light for you. There are several different models--I went with their top of the line.

I smile every morning --no need to bring extra batteries & I am saving the landfills!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    For the winter conditions, I would recommend sticking with the Schmidt. Fantastic quality. I have the Shimano DH-3D71. Another thing to consider is building your own LED lamp. That's what I did. About $40 to build the lamp and it puts out 500-600 lumens. Check the Bike Lights forum for more information.

Sep 2005

Schmidt....

I've seen them...beautiful hub...big question - can you service them easily? Regreasing?

Does that system charge a source battery so the lights stay on when the hub is not in motion?

gotta say...when I'm looking for a decent trail or trying to follow markers or fishing my way through sf overflow in pitch dark...give me a solid reliable headlamp with lithiums any day! What ever it costs...

Follow the mushers...they have the best trail lighting.

Keep it simple.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A dynamo is simpler than a battery light. Dynamos are self limiting so the circuitry is comprised of four diodes, three capacitors, and a resistor for a high power LED setup. A battery powered LED setup requires a driver circuit. Typically the hubs are no different than any other hub except they generate power. The space between the flanges now houses the alternator. The bearings are typically the same. The Shimano hub uses XT quality bearings, but it is non-adjustable and requires no greasing. You could design your circuit to charge a battery and feed the lights, but I see no situation in which you'd need light when not moving. I keep a tiny LED headlight on my bars as a backup (hope for the best, plan for the worst) to my dynamo, or if I need to use it as a flashlight.

Sep 2005

Billy

Can you get at those bearings for re-greasing?

M

btw...Kusko images are kwel...did you work that video at all? See you next time ur out!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcycles
    Peter White Cycles is the place that I found my hub generator--I use the Schmidts. It is great for us up here in Alaska because you only need to be going 3-4 MPH to make this work.

I am also using the 6 Volt 3 Watt light. This halogen light is fantastic--I have been commuting with this for the last 3 weeks--with no problems at all.

I used to spend hundreds of dollars a year in batteries--now with this-- no batteries are needed anymore! I believe all the bike shops in town should be able to get this generator hub & light for you. There are several different models--I went with their top of the line.

I smile every morning --no need to bring extra batteries & I am saving the landfills!

Members who have read this thread: 0