SPD pedals... Welcome to the darkside...- Mtbr.com
    ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?

SPD pedals... Welcome to the darkside...

Boy, this is a first.
    This is a question for the people that use SPD pedals. What brand, and why you use them? I'm looking for an All Mountain type of SPD's. I had awhile back, Shimano 959's. I like them, but they didn't have much of a platform.
    After riding Kincaid park again after work. I was climbing steep hills that I could never do before. After making it to the top, huffing and puffing. I come to realize that I need some type of SPD pedals. daaaa. I need that up stoke pull, as well as the down stoke push. The hills I climb, I felt my feet wanting/slipping off the pedals... The Crankbros 5050's are great for riding, but not too good for climbing steep sections...
    I narrowed it down to these picks so far. I like to think I have an open mind. If you know of something better, just post your recommendation, and I'll do a search and check them out too...

Shimano M424 SPD Pedals

Time ROC ATAC Pedals

Crank Brothers Mallet 1
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

Ologist
    I like the crank brothers and have used the candys and the mallets. Have you thought about the candy sls?

Thanks for the reply...
    I think I'm going with the Shimano M647 DX pedals.
    I wasn't sure about the resin cage.
    I just read a good review about them here:
    The Year in Abuse: Review of Shimano DX Shoes (SH-MP66) and DX Pedals (PD-M647)

Shimano M647 DX pedals

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have Crank brothers mallets on both of my bikes I am very happy with them.

May 2007
    Both Lady Genoux and I put M647s on our bikes this spring. I too was concerned about the resin given the condition of my aluminum pedals they replaced, but the cage appears to be pretty rugged and well supported on the outside -- much beefier than those on the M424. I think one would have to work to break them.

Thanks for the information...
    I went to Shimano's website, and they say that the Shimano M647 DX pedals with the resin cage were better, in a round about way. I like the weight of them too. Here I rode a 04 Specialized Bighit Comp @ 45.5lbs. Now I have become a weight wenny about pedals??? What is this world coming too??? FDF (fall down laughing)!!!
    The funny thing is, the guy I sold my Specialized Bighit to. I saw him last night. Hes LOVING the bike, and he is running the same pedal, Shimano M647 DX. He had them all muddy, and he said that they worked awesome... He said he had no problem getting in and out of them, no problem with the mud, etc...
    I really like my Crank brothers 5050x flats. But I couldn't get enough feedback or positive answers on the Crank brothers mallets (SPD's)... It seems like no one uses that pedal up here???
    Last edited by brian_404; 06-08-2008 at 10:54 PM.

May 2004
    Just to add my 2 cents, the Mallet's are great pedals.

banned
    Sep 2007
    My 4 cents (adjusted for inflation or because 647's come in pairs) Lots of riders around here prefer and use them. I've had no problems with mine in mud, dirt, dust.

DING DING DING, and we have a WENNER!!!

I went with the Shimano M647 DX pedals. REI has a msrp of $129.00, on sale for $99.93. But at the check out, they came to $79.83... SWEEEET!!!
    We just got back a while ago from riding Black Bear (WATCH OUT FOR THE HORSE SH*T!!!), and riding to the top of Hilltop chair lift... AWESOME!!!
    I'm digging the pedals too...

Members who have read this thread: 0