A Sow & Her 3 Cubs- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

A Sow & Her 3 Cubs

Well go figure all this talk about bears. SkiMonkee and my self ran into a sow and her 3 cubs on the tank trail. We started into the trail exploring getting lost on a combination of (Rio’s) single track loop and (Endo Rando’s) Secret trail garden when all of a sudden about 20 yards in front of us is a Black Bear Sow and her 3 cubs.

At this point SkiMonkee and I decide that it is best to back track and head back to the trail. All is good and we are back in business. As we make the turn and come around down the little downhill section SkiMonkee breaks away and is now ahead of me about 30 yards when the sow runs onto the trail between SkiMonkee and my self. So now I am looking at this sow that is about 30 feet in front of me and all I could do or say was “oh Sh!t now what?” (I completely turned into mush) So I stop and yell for SkiMonkee in doing this, it startled the sow up the trail towards him. At this point I am somewhat relived for a split second until it hits me that crap the sow is headed towards him.

What I did not know was that at this same time Skimonkey was confronted with one of the little cubs about 10/15 feet from him. And heard me scream out his name So at this point I waited and yelled a couple more times for a few minutes and all the while I am contemplating what to do. Do I go ahead or do I back track and go back the way we came. After yelling back and forth through the trees Skimonkey decided to keep going and I decided to back track. We both popped out onto the main trail a few minutes apart and it was evident that the adrenalin was flowing.

Needless to say It scared the crap out of me!
    Last edited by aka bubba; 05-18-2007 at 08:00 AM.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    My buddy work at the ammo dump on Ft Rich and he said he's seen quite a few black bears with cubs around there in last few weeks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Black bear near the rifle range...

We just had a blacky wander out and about the parking area where we were staged for the Moose Run TT this evening. He walked around the porta-john for a couple of minutes then wandered off. They are definitely out there, and judging from the number of encounters early this year, in pretty high numbers. Keep your eyes open and a little reserve in the tank in case you have to shift into high gear for that "sprint of a lifetime."

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    At this point I am somewhat relived for a split second until it hits me that crap the sow is headed towards him.
    This is always my approach when riding with DaveIT: Send the bear in his direction! That's what riding partners are for.

Just to continues the plentiful-bears stories, I spent yesterday afternoon in Kenai Fjords National Park with visiting relatives. We saw about 10 black bears; the boat's crew said that's as many as they typically see all summer. Maybe it was a good winter for the critters.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    That's great news...how much weight will 2 .44 Mags add to my handlebar bag?

Ologist
    If you go S&W Titanium (or Taurus Titanium) with a carbon fiber bar you won't notice the wieght difference.When mounted on the bars, the problem becomes when you pull the trigger; if you don't unload both at once, the recoil on one side will tweak your bars and send you into the bushes only to get pounced on!
    Last edited by Valhalla; 05-18-2007 at 12:15 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0