South Central Alaska Trail Conditions Report 2008-06-04- Mtbr.com
    ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

South Central Alaska Trail Conditions Report 2008-06-04

Please note: Many of these trails do not officially open till June 15th or July 1st. So please use care and caution if you are riding them.

Kenai:
    Resurrection out of Hope; 10 miles in known to be ridable, beyond that is unknown. Small number of trees down.

Resurrection out of Cooper Landing (Juneau Falls) has been cleared up through to the cabins.

Cresent Lake hasn't been cleared from the Bridge onward, but is otherwise is clear.

Johnson pass hasn't been touched yet as far as clearing on either side; so expect lots of snow and no trail clearing.

Resurrection River has been cleared up to the first creek crossing out of Seward.

Russian Lakes has snow for the first several miles from the top of Snug Harbor Road, some places over 2 feet still. From Russian Lakes Campground, 12 miles in know to be good but there are several avalanche crossings.

Lost Lake/Primrose: Snow.... (I will personally be hiking it 6/15 though to find out more detail).

Ptarmigan Creek: ?

Anchorage:
    Eklutna: ?
    Powerline Pass to Indian: ?
    Bird Creek Trails (the dirt ones): ?

Valley:
    Kepler Bradley: ?
    Permanete: ?
    Puritan: ?
    Hatcher Pass (Palmer Side): ?
    Hatcher Pass (Willow Side): ?
    Talkeetna/Chase: ?
    Petersville Road: ?

What else am I missing, reply with any updates.
    Last edited by crsouser; 06-04-2008 at 02:58 PM.

May 2004

Kepler Bradley is good to go

I rode Kepler Bradley a week or two ago and it was in good shape. All the single track was dry, with the exception of the newest addition (I forget the name of it). The double wide access trails where soggy in places, but I'm sure that is dry by now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Eklutna has been rideable for several weeks. I have ridden it three times already this season.

I drove up to the Glen Alps parking lot last saturday and I could see so much snow on the connector trail to powerline that I did not even get out of my car. Not sure what its like now but judging by the amount of snow up there still I doubt its ready yet,(someone please correct me if I am wrong).

May 2004

Crescent Lake is Snow Free!

After getting all of the feedback the Lost Lake was still buried in snow, I took a detour to Crescent Lake on my way back from Seward and the trail is in excellent condition. Almost no mud and only 10 ft of snow crossing. Lot's of down trees though, which slow the descent down quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Powerline Pass

Still lots of snow on Powerline Pass out of Glen Alps parking lot.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Russian River, best ever right now

Rode the Russian River Trail yesterday with a friend, from the Russian River campground to Cooper Lake and then back. The trail is in the best shape I've ever seen it, and the timing is now before the cow parsnip gets too tall. It's a foot to two feet tall at the moment.

Left Anchorage in the pouring rain not knowing what to expect, but once through Turnagain Pass the skies opened and temps soared. We had a bluebird day, with temp about 75. Man it felt hot, just not used to it yet this year. I went through a 70 oz bladder plus a water bottle, and then even refilled my bottle in a creek once more.

Parking at the Russian River campground may as well not be considered an option. The campground is full of fisherman, and no one gets in unless someone vacates. The line was probably 20 vehicles deep when we arrived, so we just parked beyond the Kenai bridge at the head of the Resurrection Trail.

Obstacles were few: two easy log crossings, a couple low creeks, and one substantial creek crossing near the Cooper Lake end, but still able to ride through. Only saw two miniscule snow patches, probably gone today, with minimal mud. Usually wet shoes brings regrets and cold feet, but it was actually so hot it felt refreshing!

On our return, about a half mile from the Upper Russian cabin, ran into a huge grizzly sow with cubs that gave us a brief scare, right in our path, so be sure and take your protection of choice. There's lots of snow melting and the connecting creek from the upper lake to the lower is high, making me think the fishing wouldn't be productive for bears and they'd pursue other options, but they are still around. It all happened too fast for any pics.

Speaking of the cabin, if no one has it reserved you have to check it out. The new cabin is a beaut! It has a deck out front, a nice stairway with fieldstones laid at its base, nice varathaned bunks, a new stove, chairs on a front porch, and a sweet firepit with log benches. It would be a blast to stay at for a few days.

Get some while the going is good. Our route was 46 miles round trip. Also checked in on EndUser staying at Quartz Creek, he'd ridden Crescent Lake on two consecutive days and said it's primo as well. The others in the area shouldn't be far behind. Come on heat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Fatback

thanks for the update

Thanks for the update Rando. Looks like a great trip. After the 24hr, I'll have to make my way down.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Bikes are good

Crown Point

Never ridden it before last week, but a great ride. 4 miles up it was covered in snow, so maybe another 2 weeks or so. Rest of the trail was great though. Steep, rideable, technical switchbacks. A quick climb for an amazing view of Kenai lake and surrounding mountains. A short ride for the drive so plan on hitting a few other trails when your done. We rode Crown Point (quick ride) Crescent lake (sub 2 hours or so) and Devils in a day. That's the solution we found to so much damn snow on stuff still. Thanks for the write up on Russian river. Never have done that one. Maybe this week.

Members who have read this thread: 0