South Central Alaska Trail Conditions 06/11/2008- Mtbr.com
    ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

South Central Alaska Trail Conditions 06/11/2008

Kenai:
    I just spoke with the Forest Service and these are the latest as of 5pm on 6/11.

Johnson Pass:
    North End, Avalanches to cross after about a mile. Snow then sporadic for a bit then gradually getting deaper. Wouldn't even think about pushing a bike after a couple miles. Looked like it might be snowing at upper elevations.
    South End, cleared for first 6 miles with patches of snow here and there.. then snow.

Crescent Lake is 100% clear up to the Cabin as of Tuesday, trees that were there this weekend are now gone.

Russian Lakes they say they are hoping will be mostly bikable by this weekend (but don't know the condition across the middle), they said there would be some patches of snow but they were surprised how much it melted in the last week when they went out today. Cleared up the Jct w/Resurrection River Trail of fallen trees, then 9 miles in on the Russian River side is known to be clear.

North Resurrection obviously clear back at least 10 miles back, as that is where several of us went last Sunday. Though they mentioned they believed it was definitely clear up to East Creek.

Didn't get update on Jeaneau Falls, but it was previously cleared up to the Cabins.

Lost Lake (for those thinking of hiking) still has snow before you get to the Canyon (<3 miles in), and the Primrose side has snow within about 2.5 miles. They said don't expect it to be Snow until probably late July or August at this rate.

Devils Pass/Creek: Avalanches above mile 5 as of June 6.

Gull Rock: No Report, but assume it is just handy dandy normal 'Gull Rock' condition.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/cab...s/updates.html

Anchorage:
    Eklutna: Clear and Dry
    Powerline Pass to Indian: Snow
    Bird Creek Trails (the dirt ones): Normal Mud, but not overgrown yet.

Valley:
    Kepler Bradley/Crevace Morraine: Generally Great shape.
    Permanete: ?
    Puritan: ?
    Hatcher Pass (Palmer Side): ?
    Hatcher Pass (Willow Side): ?
    Talkeetna/Chase: ?
    Petersville Road: ?

----Please post any updates or comments to share with others.. especially in this year where our snowless riding options are limited. I know I am missing trails as well too.

Christopher

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Here's the Talkeetna Report

XY Lake trail is in great shape all the way around, watch out for bear and moose

Chase Trail is muudy after the gravel pit but is improving everyday...Stop Raining!!!

Petersville road is good at least up to the Fork Roadhouse, with patchy snow from there up to Peters Gap after that break out the Pugs or the skis, still a lot of snow over the Gap.

The Ridge/Old Lake trail is muddy off of Beaver Rd, but rideable, the rest of the way is in normal riding condtion.

Larson Lake Trail is in good shape, some mud, watch out for ATV's and Bears!!

Bikes are good

Resurrection/Johnson

Rode Res. Pass to above tree line a little ways yesterday from Hope. Great trail all the way to the top. Rode Johnsons today. It's going to be awhile. The snow slides were short, but there were lots. The trail in between the slides was good with the exception of the normal mud holes on the south end. Talked to some backpackers who traveled over the pass the last two days. They said it was a muddy, snowy mess. Lake still very frozen, and a considerably long snow walk at the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "Gull Rock: No Report, but assume it is just handy dandy normal 'Gull Rock' condition."

Is Gull Rock a good trail to ride normally? How's it compare with Johnson/Resurrection?
    I've ridden about all of the trails, just not that one.
    Phil

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Gull Rock

I haven't ridden it either but I have hiked it. Relative to biking: dries out fairly early, not a lot of elevation, but lots of fun technical root sections. Some question of if it is officially open to bikes but don't think that stops anyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Rabbit Lake - No Good

Thought it might be better than Powerline b/c of the SW exposure but there was still a lot of snow on it tonight. Pushing after about 1.5 miles, ditching the bike at 2 miles, calling it a nice little walk at about 4 miles. Snow seemed to ease up beyone Ptarmigan pass but this one won't be ready for biking for a week or 2 b/c the snow was prety deep. I imagine it was a lot like what the tops of Johnson, Devils, and Rez passes look like right now.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    Rode Johnsons today. It's going to be awhile. The snow slides were short, but there were lots. The trail in between the slides was good with the exception of the normal mud holes on the south end. Talked to some backpackers who traveled over the pass the last two days. They said it was a muddy, snowy mess. Lake still very frozen, and a considerably long snow walk at the top.
    Hmm.. how far in did you get? That at least partially contradicts the Forest Service report so I am curious.

Christopher

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hatcher Pass

The Gold Mint trail in Hatchers is great, dry, and Mark Gronewald and his group of trail blazers has trimmed it up nicely. Excellent riding been there the last three nights

Members who have read this thread: 0