Soggy Bottom 9-1-07 Pictures- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Soggy Bottom 9-1-07 Pictures

Way to go riders!!! Here are some pictures from the Cooper Landing and Devil's Pass trailheads. I hope I got one decent picture of everyone.

Thank you Carlos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjshea1/SoggyBottom9107

40 & Fast
    Thanks for posting
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

mtbr member

Soggy Bottom Pictures

A lot of people were out there taking pictures so some really terrific ones should posted later today.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Wow Maura, great pics

Really good pics of the riders ya got there Maura. Super job!

I rode up Devil's Pass with mtbike_ak hoping to catch riders coming through the Devil's/Res tee area. We were at the Devil's Pass elevation sign on our way up when a young guy, head down and honkin' came through on a Moots hardtail with a Ti rigid fork. He looked like he was racing, but I knew there was no way he could have been at this stage just a few hours after the start. I slowed him down, asked him if he was a Soggy racer, and when he answered yes, I asked if he had been to Cooper Landing yet. When he said no, I turned him around and directed him back to the cabin to veer left. He was off course and probably added a mile, maybe a mile and a half to his race day.

When I got to the tee area, it was pretty easy to see how someone unfamiliar with the area could get misdirected. Check out the pic below. Imagine approaching the sign which points you left to Cooper Landing. It's easy to immediately turn left in front of the sign rather than the 2nd left in the background, which this racer did. It seems this sign should be placed at that second fork. I was really surprised this only happened to one person since there were a couple of visitors entered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EndoRando; 09-02-2007 at 11:02 AM.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Alaska Turner Mafia
    We arrived at the tee area to find Brian taking a refueling break, and managed to snap a couple pics of riders coming through.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    With a slight lull in the action, we took a short ride further north into the Res Pass area, to find Adam and another rider coming through. At this point everyone we saw was in good spirits and feeling great. Conditions were super, it was a nice temp, a bit of sunshine and no rain, really no wind even.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Darren came through the tee area, after the turnaround in Cooper Landing, as the lead rider looking really strong. He powered through like he had just started! He had chasers though.....

Alaska Turner Mafia
    We proceeded south on Res, hoping to catch a few racers completing the climb from Juneau lake. This is a tough grunt and had some racers looking a bit weary by now. The guy on the Moots that got misdirected had gained a ton of ground considering his handicap. He came through saying "thanks guys, you saved my race!" I also got a pic of the lone woman racer, with a smile on her face even!

Alaska Turner Mafia
    A vantage point overlooking Juneau Lake and the climb area looked like a scenic spot to catch a few racers. This looks like Tim Kelly, Dave and a couple others I didn't recognize. We shouted words of encouragement, but the returns were a bit muted after that climb. By now it seemed most were playing the mental game to just keep pedaling.
    Last edited by EndoRando; 09-02-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    We ran into Adam again, at the top of the climb. Words of encouragement were answered with "It hurts!" It was obvious the course was taking its toll.....

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Continuing toward Cooper Landing we ran into one more racer. I saw him later as the last to leave the Devil's Pass trailhead and possibly the only rider that may have needed lights. Way to push on, I know leaving that trailhead is the biggest mental obstacle of the entire ride.

Congratulations to all the riders. Way to push and be thankful for the primo conditions.

mtbr member
    Fabulous pictures, Randy! Loved the narration, too. I gotta get up there one day....

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Thanks Maura, it was a challenging day for photography. It seemed no matter where I was I kept getting caught facing the sun, resulting in dark shots with riders silhouetted. I scrapped a ton.

I wanted to take my better quality camera, but really didn't know what the weather would do. I opted to take the compact since I have a waterproof case for it. It's really handy and does okay if you're facing correctly!

I just hope I got some shots that the riders can proudly show their families. This ride was about their effort. Again, congratulations to all.

Rando

Mr.Secret
    Way to go riders !!! Great pics Endo, thanks !!! Anybody have any final results ?
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

May 2006

More Soggy Photos

Congratulations to all the racers. My wife and I really enjoyed watching again this year. Aside from the mid afternoon squall it seemed to be pretty lucky weather and everyone maintained great spirits as they passed us along the Devil's Pass Trail. I posted my photos from this leg of the race at www.mombok.com/Soggy2007.html. You can find photos of last year's race at www.mombok.com/Soggy2006.html. Enjoy.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thank you all

on behalf of the riders and myself a huge thank you for taking the time to photograph the riders and the trails that defines the riders and the Soggy.
    I feel this years Sog Bot survivors were the best ever !
    Thanks everyone !

Oh; the results will be posted within the hour I hope, with way more photos on Monday !

Quote Originally Posted by mjshea
    Way to go riders!!! Here are some pictures from the Cooper Landing and Devil's Pass trailheads. I hope I got one decent picture of everyone.

Thank you Carlos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjshea1/SoggyBottom9107
    Last edited by rio; 09-02-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Thanks Maura and EndoRando

The photos posted of the Soggy Bottom 100 were awesome. Thanks you guys.

Is anyone going to post their pictures of the happy but ragged finishers at the Seaview Inn Finish Line? I'd really like to see those faces. Thanks.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

More pics!

Here's a link to some photos I took --> http://picasaweb.google.com/julie.pe...SoggyBottom100

I couldn't get above the tree line because I was supporting Brian, but I got to ride in a bit at Cooper Landing and Devil's Pass to get some good shots. If anyone wants any of the actual size photos let me know which ones and I can email them to you.

Congrats to everyone who participated! You guys (and girl) kick ass! Thanks Carlos for putting together such an awesome event!

Here are some of my favorites:

Members who have read this thread: 0