Soggy Bottom 100 ride report (long)- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Soggy Bottom 100 ride report (long)

The morning of the Soggy Bottom was crisp and cool with a cloudless blue sky and 27 riders with speeded to burn lined up to start the 108 mile round trip back to the finish line in Hope, Alaska. The route would take these adventuresome and tough riders from Hope via some of the words best and beautiful single track to Cooper Landing where they would turn around and ride back up the beyond insane climb to the Devils Pass trail head and turn around and go back to the finish in Hope via the Resurrection trail !

Darren Mattingly and Eric Parsons immediately jumped to the front and seperated themselves from the rest of the field. Darren arrives at the Cooper Landing 42 mile check point in 3 hours and 29 minutes check Eric arrived 2 minutes later. The next rider, Andy Pohl arrived 23 minutes later. This means that Darren at this point was averaging about 13.5 mph. The clear day also delivered some major heat issues for most of the riders. With temperatures in the early 80's and riders grinding there way up to Devils Pass while fighting cramps and the sun which was baking them into submission and into the dark and dismal thought process of should i quit or peddle on with the ride.The relentless march of the long shadows of the day which turns into chilling darkness of nite was on every riders mind. Mile 70, the Devils Pass trail head check point, claimed several riders. Two riders abandoned due to mechanical failures. Two riders also reported that their helmets failed after unsuperman like landings after being launched from their bikes.
    Darren Mattingly, Eric Parsons and Jeramiah Bell arrived at the Devils pass check point which was 70 miles from the start, with identical times of 6 hours and 29 minutes ! All 3 of these riders had perma grins with the speed and fun of pushing each other through the descent and challenging terrain of Devils Pass. The trail did take out one of the 3 bikes, sadly, Jerimaih returned to the Devils Pass check point several minutes after his departure to Hope. His bikes' rear shock suffered a heat stroke and was allowing the rear wheel and tire to smash agaist the frame..... back to the drawing board for Soggy Bottom worthy bike... i dergress. Janice Tower, arrived at the Cooper landing check point in 15th, but the power of Tower was 9th at the Devils Pass CP ! yeeehawww !
    The riders arrived at the Devils Pass CP with stories of the relentless heat and tales of the mind numbing climb from Cooper landing to the Devils Pass junction. The riders were battling the issue of the sun setting and the thoughts of riding in the dark back to Hope with cramps every where theres a muscle ( someone told me they had hair cramps) and wondering how they were going to ride in the dark with a 2 1/2 hour battery run time and a 4-5 hour ride back to Hope ! The last rider to leave Devils Pass did so at 8:35 PM, the first rider departed at 4:29 !
    Several riders reported that while fixing flats, taking food breaks or just resting, the view of the spectatcular northern lights show ! Only in Alaska, you can be taking a whiz and watch the northern lights at the same time !
    Darren Matting arrived in Hope 9 hours and 43 minutes after he started and Eric arrived 16 minutes later. Paul G. finished at 05:30 Sunday morning, 9 hours and 47 minutes after Darren.
    A brave and some what crazy guy from Talkeetna (IMO he has spent to much time there) rode and finished the ride on a single speed, no you didn't mis- read, a single speed and it took him15 hours and 59 minutes to do it ! There is more to this story, this was his first long distance race ! Totaly sick !
    This race is all about finishing and everyone is a winner who finishes and those who put their wheel up to the start line are also winners in my book !
    I would like to also thank all the volunteers, Pam, Brij, Claire, Brendon, Doc, Chris, the Talkeetna folks, and especially to Karol for saving my butt at the finish line ! you guys rock !
    Hopefully the results will be in the newspaper early this week !
    Carlos

Beware of Doggerel

Good Job

Congrats to everyone. Funny about the northern lights, they were out Friday night also, I know this because when I stopped to take a wiz while climbing over turnagain pass, around midnigh,t I noticed the lights in the sky.

Adam

Jan 2004
    Props to everyone on a Great race!
    I had a good time playing race photographer in Cooper Landing then riding sweep to devil's trailhead.
    Here's a few from the start & then the Cooper Landing side of the rez.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2004
    The guy in the last photo wasn't racing, but it was a good shot.
    He was Whoop'n, Hollerin' & Woo Hoo'ing the whole descent..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

A Fantastic Event!

Penguin rides proudly on the handlebar of the Turner Burner, switching leads with QB's son, JJ, from Resurrection Pass Summit all the way into Cooper Landing check point! Mom smiles up front (see pic) as Son, also riding a Burner, paces off her wheel. Wisdom prevails over youth as Mom finishes a little in front of The Boy. Next year QB will have to train harder as the youngster (not so small anymore) will likely kick his mom's @$$!!!

Great ride, great race, but should be renamed, The Crusty Bottom!

Keep the rubber side down!

Caveman
    Next time I'm stashing an inflatable kiddie pool filled with ice at the Devils's pass parking lot...

mtbr member
    thanks Carlos for all the support you gave me during the summer in preparing for the race. i am a little bummed that i wasnt able to finish. oh well it gives me a reason to head back up there next summer.
    oh yeah, carlos, i had your charger for you light when i left and gave it to george to pass to you, did you get it?

Daniel

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hi from the land of the midnight sun

Hi !
    i did get the charger and thank you ! also, i do have a 2 shirts and a bike tool of yours, i guess that is enough of a reason to come back next year ?
    good on you !

Quote Originally Posted by bostonnewbie
    thanks Carlos for all the support you gave me during the summer in preparing for the race. i am a little bummed that i wasnt able to finish. oh well it gives me a reason to head back up there next summer.
    oh yeah, carlos, i had your charger for you light when i left and gave it to george to pass to you, did you get it?

Daniel