Soggy Bottom 100- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Soggy Bottom 100

The Soggy Bottom 100 web site is now up and running ! Please check it out and learn about Alaska's longest summer mt. bike race that takes place on the Kenai penninsula !

Caveman

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Soggy Bottom Requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    I was reading on the site that you must submit your prior endurance/backcountry riding experience on your application to participate.

I am definetly not a racer but still might be interested in doing it. What type of experience should I have to participate in it? I would expect to have done Resurrection, Cresent Lake, and Johnson Pass? Anything else?

Do I also understand that if you can't do the course in less than 20 hrs you will be disqualified?

Christopher

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Soggy Bottom Endurance

the Soggy Bottom riders of 2003 were composed of riders who were mainly well conditioned people with excellent biking aand back country skills. This course is very easy to under estimate its difficulty and over estimate your conditioning. It is easy to get lulled into thinking well i've ridden, Resurrection, and Russian lakes trails, but have you ridden the 2 trails consecutively ? Most of this riders will do 50 -100 mile rides as training rides for this event.
    do you have the skills to repair your bike such as after your (this happened to Eric P last year and he came in 2nd place) rear derailer has been ripped off, do you have the skills to make your bike into a single speed ? do you know what to do in case of a bear encounter......... all the riders who completed the race rode at least in 8 hours of sporadic light to moderate rain showers. please feel free to call or lets have a coffe and talk some more !

Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    I was reading on the site that you must submit your prior endurance/backcountry riding experience on your application to participate.

I am definetly not a racer but still might be interested in doing it. What type of experience should I have to participate in it? I would expect to have done Resurrection, Cresent Lake, and Johnson Pass? Anything else?

Do I also understand that if you can't do the course in less than 20 hrs you will be disqualified?

Christopher