So long Blue Dot Bridge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

So long Blue Dot Bridge

Incase anyone is going to attempt to ride Blue Dot trail in Bicentennial park the bridge has been removed by the MUNI (We think)

The proposal in the following link contains information about its replacement.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/park...nts/FNBP_4.pdf

Thanks for the heads up Andrew
    So long Blue Dot Bridge-wheredabridgego.jpg

So long Blue Dot Bridge-564458_10152706004520431_396704367_n.jpg

So long Blue Dot Bridge-12332_10152706004470431_315881455_n.jpg

So long Blue Dot Bridge-644615_10152706004575431_1882136202_n.jpg

Nick
    Last edited by blades2000; 01-08-2015 at 12:12 AM.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

Elitest thrill junkie
    Nooo! I just rode it last night!

Was I the last person to ride it?

When I went over it and it made all those noises and it flexed and I thought about how all the riders this winter will get to experience the "I'm not sure if this bridge will hold!" feeling as they go across. Kinda fun, like a suspension bridge or something...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    duplicate
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm afraid some of BlueDot's charm will be lost with a $162,000 bridge.

Sure enjoyed standing on the old one under the full moon last weekend enjoying the long awaited cold weather.
    just pedal

mtbr member
    Why couldn't they wait to remove the bridge until closer to building the new bridge????

This is a total bummer. With this warm winter, it may never freeze enough to ride over without the bridge.
    My bike takes me places school never could...

mtbr member
    Description of the new $162,000 bridge:

Blue Dot Trail Bridge
    Remove old bridge and install new bridge to meet the character and experience of this
    Class 2 trail. The bridge will extend 70 to 75 feet across Campbell Creek with a width of
    5 to 6 feet wide.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    Why couldn't they wait to remove the bridge until closer to building the new bridge????

This is a total bummer. With this warm winter, it may never freeze enough to ride over without the bridge.
    Based on reports from riders, they have been able to ride across it safely with the bridge out. As we know, though, this location tends to freeze/thaw off and on during a regular winter as the water level fluctuates, so what is good one day may not be the next. With the warmer winter this year, that will be even worse.

I am waiting to hear what the story is as to why they removed it now instead of later. Two possible reasons come to mind (neither make it okay in my mind though).

1.) It is easier to pull something like this out when the ground is frozen and you have snow/ice to slide it on. Also reduces the potential damage to the ground surface by equipment if the ground is frozen.

2.) MOA potentially viewed the existing bridge as a liability and felt it was better to not have a bridge there at all than to potentially have it fail resulting in someone getting hurt.

Hopefully we will have some more answers soon.

Bikes are good
    3-4 feet wide would be cooler. Maybe a split cottonwood tree even. Too many people sue . Did you see on the news in Iowa a town outlawed sledding on its hills because they don't want to be sued for injuries?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Too many people sue . Did you see on the news in Iowa a town outlawed sledding on its hills because they don't want to be sued for injuries?
    No fun to be a kid anymore....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    Description of the new $162,000 bridge:

Blue Dot Trail Bridge
    Remove old bridge and install new bridge to meet the character and experience of this
    Class 2 trail. The bridge will extend 70 to 75 feet across Campbell Creek with a width of
    5 to 6 feet wide.
    The plan referenced in the original post is a draft plan. As far as I know there is no plan and no money to replace the bridge. I hope I'm wrong.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    The plan referenced in the original post is a draft plan. As far as I know there is no plan and no money to replace the bridge. I hope I'm wrong.
    That wouldn't be very nice.....especially since they removed the existing bridge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Based on reports from riders, they have been able to ride across it safely with the bridge out. As we know, though, this location tends to freeze/thaw off and on during a regular winter as the water level fluctuates, so what is good one day may not be the next. With the warmer winter this year, that will be even worse.

I am waiting to hear what the story is as to why they removed it now instead of later. Two possible reasons come to mind (neither make it okay in my mind though).

1.) It is easier to pull something like this out when the ground is frozen and you have snow/ice to slide it on. Also reduces the potential damage to the ground surface by equipment if the ground is frozen.

2.) MOA potentially viewed the existing bridge as a liability and felt it was better to not have a bridge there at all than to potentially have it fail resulting in someone getting hurt.

Hopefully we will have some more answers soon.
    Jason, A lot of us, including you I suspect, ride Blue Dot in the summer. Hard to argue that it will be frozen and easy to cross then. Steve
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are a couple of threads on Facebook, one of which is at least hinting at money tocome. It will be interesting to watch this play out.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's times like this I wish there were an organization in town that could Advocate for SingleTrack.

Note to self: Make 2015 donation to STA.
    just pedal

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Jason, A lot of us, including you I suspect, ride Blue Dot in the summer. Hard to argue that it will be frozen and easy to cross then. Steve
    I don't ride it in the summer, but I do run it periodically. I don't support the idea of removing it, I was just pointing out a couple likely reasons why they may have done it. It wouldn't be the first time a government entity chose to remove something or outright close it down before they were really ready to replace it "in the interest of public safety".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't ride it in the summer, but I do run it periodically. I don't support the idea of removing it, I was just pointing out a couple likely reasons why they may have done it. It wouldn't be the first time a government entity chose to remove something or outright close it down before they were really ready to replace it "in the interest of public safety".
    I know you were not for taking it out. I was just commenting on the comment that it is possible to get over the creek on the ice. Let's hope there really is some money forth coming although with oil at the current prices it doesn't seem likely.
    Latitude 61

sluice box
    snip..... It wouldn't be the first time a government entity chose to remove something or outright close it down before they were really ready to replace it "in the interest of public safety".
    They should do that for the Seward Hwy.

edited: so I could add an emoji so you know I'm all tomfoolery.

Bikes are good
    Is there a plan to put the skinny bridge back over campbell creek at the top of Rovers? I always liked that, and liked watching people fall in on the one tech side.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."