Skwentna Trail Update Feb 1-2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Skwentna Trail Update Feb 1-2

Friday I headed out from the Deshka Landing at 9am. 90 minute lunch at the Yentna Station allowed me to dry out my icy clothes. Arrived Skwentna at 7pm with fleeting thoughts of bivying out. That didn't last long. -25F leaving Deshka, -20 at Yentna Station and -20 arriving Skwentna. Colder on the rivers. My REI thermometer bottoms out at -20 and I never saw the mercury rise out of the bulb all day. Good trail conditions all the way; easy cruising at 8mph with 25 pounds of gear.
    Saturday 9:00am I rode out past Skwentna 5 miles towards Shell Lake to check conditions. Good riding across the swamp, hard to turn around with the nice sunrise and nice views of the Alaska Range. Still -20. Made it to Luce's for a late lunch at 2:15. It was just above 0 on the hill at Luce's, though much colder on the river. Arrived Deshka Landing 7pm with still no mercury rising from the thermometer all weekend.
    Word is Iron Doggers have been training all the way to Puntilla so conditions should be good until the next storm.

1 IMG_4800 Dave Yentna and Denali crop 2-1 web size.JPG
    Looking up Yentna, Denali and Foraker beyond

2 IMG_4819 Swentna Roadhouse web size.JPG
    Skwentna Roadhouse

3 IMG_4803 Frosty Dave web size.JPG
    Frosty

4 IMG_4828 Luce's Zoom best web size.JPG.
    Luce's

No, that's not phonetic
    Brilliant!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Bill M

Thanks for the update

Thanks for the update Dave. One of our foot racers has been training from Shell to Puntilla and back and said the trail is good to there. Last word Iron Doggers had made it to the South Fork of the Kuskokwim. See you at the pre race meeting.

Members who have read this thread: 0