Short Maine snowbike- Mtbr.com
    Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Excellent build!

Would you mind sharing a little explaination of your build?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I second that emotion. I'm thinking about a similar set-up for this coming winter.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

info for Short peeepoles

It's a 14in 1x1 with a DMR mech hanger. Sram 9sd twist shifter.
    LargeMarge rims front and rear. Endo on the front, Kenda 2.7 rear.

I hounded Surly to build a x-small Pugs for too long. The market doesn't justify the costs for them (I understand). A custom frame (Wildfire or Carver) is in the future for me, but I had to try to do it on the "Cheap" for now.
    I am so amazed how well it goes in the constantly changing snow conditions. An Endo won't fit in the rear: but I think I can fit a 3.0. That's next.

Sep 2006
    Nice build-up!

Regarding a custom frame... there is another "custom choice" - check it out here: http://speedwaycyclesak.com/pages/fatback.html

They have three sizes of these ti-beauties listed, but I think i saw a smaller one there - at any rate all the FatBacks have more standover than the pugs, and the small frame I saw had a bent top tube. They are in-stock.

One of these frames was between the legs of the guy that won this years alaska iditarod invitational - 1100 miles or something like that.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

choices, choices...

I know about the Fatbikes. Mark at Wildfire has also been helpful when I started looking for a small snowbike awhile back. These two are my top choices for custom. $$ and time are my current enemy.
    For now, I'm goona ride the knobs off my Stubpugs!
    Last edited by 1spd1way; 04-15-2008 at 03:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is that the standard 1x1 fork or are you using the Pugs fork?

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Pugs fork

Alone the pugs fork would screw up the geometry. With the Largermarge rim and 2.7 Kenda on the rear, it is almost "leveled" out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That is one sweet Surly! Davis Carver will not sell his Fat Bike to Alaska customers and Greg will not sell the Fatback to customers in the lower 48. I got that direct From Davis Carver himself. I am waiting for rims to finish my Carver, should be in next week. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Fn HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:thumbsup

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I forgot to mention that I am from So. Cal. I will be riding more sand than snow. Its all good.

mtbr member
    Hmmm - pretty sure that Greg at Speedway wouldn't limit his Fatback sales to Alaska... just my 2 cents worth, I'm sure Greg will weigh in on this - but he is currently at the SeaOtter Classic..lucky dog!
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006

Snoa/sand bikes

Both Greg and davis are great to work with. I bought a 96er from Davis last year in an extra small size and couldn't be happier. In all of my e-mail ?'s, Greg has been very helpful. His spacing of the rear triangle is different (non-offset0 and differenciates (sp?) his from other fat-tired bikes. Both bike shop owners deserve an "atta boy" for going beyond the normal LBS route to serve their customers.

MaineMud
    Oct 2004
    Pretty close.....Greg and Pete were the main impetus behind the Fatback Snowbike, and are welcome to sell them wherever they like. No problem here. We have them built for Speedway, but do not advertise them, and don't sell to customers in Alaska....with all of the Ti 96ers, 29ers and KillerBees we're doing, Greg and Pete could probably devote more time to a serious SnowBike customer, and their winter riding expertise certainly surpasses anyone I've ever known...except maybe that fat guy in a red suit WAY up north.

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.carverbikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0