Shore Excursion Guides???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shore Excursion Guides???

My hubby and I are going on an Alaskan cruise at the end of August...we are avid mtbikers here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of N Carolina.

Our ports-of-call are Juneau, Skagway, & Ketchikan

Juneau & Ketchikan are short 6 hour visits and we will probably sign up with one of the ship-supported shore excursions...BUT we will be in Skagway for 14 hours (7 am - 9pm) and we're toying with the idea of looking for a private tour so we can get some real Alaskan Mtbikin'....

Are there any real prospective trails locally....any bike shops we could call and get hooked up with...or do we stick with the Skagway Rail & Bike tour offered through the ship?

Any & All advice is truely appreciated!!!!

***We will also be in Vancouver BC for a day & 1/2 and looking for mtb adventure there too if anyone is so inclined on giving out info for that area too....

Thanks!!!

Jul 2006
    In Juneau get a hold of Glaciar Cycles (907) 789-7050 or Cycle Alaska (907) 780-2253
    (There is also a regular that frequents this board, that lives in Juneau. I am sure they will chime in)<Br>
    In Skagway use Sockeye Cycles (907)-983-2851

@adelorenzo
    Most of the bike tours in Skagway involve driving you to the top of the White Pass and then dressing you up in matching jackets and letting you coast back down the road. Not sure about renting any sort of a bike above the "comfort" level either. But, Sockeye would be the place to talk to, for sure.

IME, the local trails around Skagway are great for hiking but not a lot of great MTBing.

If you really want to get some good riding in, try to get hooked up with a trip to Carcross, Yukon (across the border about 1 hour drive from Skagway). It's a little-known fact that over the past 3 years they have had trail crews working to develop a first-class trail system on Montana Mountain, sort of a 'trails for tourism' idea. Lots of swooping singletrack and all the trails are easily shuttled.

It's all still new so I don't think anyone has really set up for tours and bike rentals and stuff, but maybe Sockeye Cycles could hook you up.

There is scarce information on the web right now, but if you have any interest I will post some pics on this thread, as I'll be riding out there this weekend.

Regards,
    Anthony

@adelorenzo
    Here are a couple of articles on Carcross trails from 2002-2003. Keep in mind these were written before they started the trail development project in 2005.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...TPStory/Travel

http://outside.away.com/outside/dest...on_gold_3.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Whistler and BC are arguably the epicenter of MTBing right now; skip Vancouver, jump on a shuttle to Whistler, rent a room at the base of the lifts, rent a DH Kona (they only have something like 800 rental bikes), sign up for lessons and get into it. Then maybe rent a XC bike and hit some of the amazing XC trails in the area...just don't bite off too much (like Comfortably Numb, 3,200 ft vertical elevation gain in ten miles on a real skinny trail totaling 15 miles) or you could miss the fun at Whistler. Lots of great maps, great websites, folks committed to good trails and rides.

Members who have read this thread: 0