Shops Not Supporting Alyeska Bike Park?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Shops Not Supporting Alyeska Bike Park?

Maybe I am mis-interpreting the local bike shops response to the Alyeska Bike Park as tepid at best. I am getting my old DH bike ready for Alyeska in couple a couple of weeks and it seems really strange that basic parts are so hard to come by. I didn't visit every bike shop in town but I visited several and didn't find any DH/Freeride weight tubes, couldn't find 203 rotors of recent vintage, 203 brake post adapters, metal or metal cored tire levers (ever try and change a DH tire with plastic levers :-( ) or any 2.5+ Tires with casings. More business for online retailers I guess.

Alyeska's rental bike shop will hopefully have a clue (nice opportunity for them) and order a few cases of DH/FR weight tubes and some of the other common replacement parts. Once the bull wheels are spinning during the weekend in the bike park, some common replacement parts are really going to be in demand.

mtbr member
    For now I'll stick to pricepoint and pay 1/2 the price of what local shops "would" charge. Markup on parts is close to 40-50% to the consumer anyways here in Anchorage. 90 bux for a 2.5 minion? No thanks.....

mtbr member
    My guess is that the market has not been exploited by local shops because previously there has been no market to exploit...kinda like the whole fatbike thing...first there was a guy in the valley making frames in his garage, now you can't walk into a shop without getting into a fistfight over why the Fatback is a superior design ; )
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    If someone was to get into a business venture right now that dealt strictly with FR/DH/AM stuff it would probably do decent once Alyeska established itself and progressed. The demand will be out there as ANC Rider said once people start breaking parts and wanting something more than their hard tail or trail bike they ride on the hillside.

It has crossed my mind just to start something small out of my garage, keeping stock in the basic stuff instock , internet ordering etc....stuff that would be needed by the DH community. Although I have a fulltime job already......

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Not many bikes to scope out either. I sold my all mountian rig in the hopes of getting a new downhill bike. I have no experience with downhill bikes though. I plan to demo a few in Colorado and will probably buy one there. I like to support the local shops, but they are not meeting local rider's needs in this case.

I would say this is a bit of a problem in the race scene as well. I saw like 2 specialized bikes at the Kincaid race last night, compared to about 15 niners. Not close to what you see in other places, seems like Speedway and Chain Reaction cater to racers and no one else does.

mtbr member
    Stuff off the top of my head.......

2.5's, 2.7's, DH Casings.....Good DH tubes. Maxxis/Kenda etc.... I saw people 500ft from the tram with busted tubes like you wouldnt believe, the average XC tire was getting ravaged last september. Lots of shale rock, sidewalls and tubes ate up....

203/185 rotors/adapters

Fullfaces
    Kneepads
    Elbow Pads
    Body Armour 661/Rockgardn/Fox etc....
    Flat Pedals -- straitline/transition bikes
    Five Ten shoes for FR/DH
    Lock On Grips
    DH brake sets
    Beefy cranks
    Short cage derailers
    chainguides
    bashrings
    Derailer Hangars for the brand you sell......

I think if you get your name out there as a place to come for limited DH parts people will come, it will just take time. I wouldnt go out and stock the shelves with DH gear, but every little bit helps, its gonna take some time to progress obviously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Give the guys at http://fanatikbike.com/ a call.

They are in Bellingham, great shop and good guys. I order most of my DH and AM stuff from them (frames and parts).

See ya at Alyeska!

Fatback

support

I think every shop in town will support Alyeska-I know I will. That's one of the reasons I brought in Yeti. I haven't had the chance to get into gear with what is needed yet, and obviously others have not either. Let us know what you are looking for and we'll bring it in. Up until now, I've had about two people a year come in looking for full face helmets. That's it.
    What tubes? What tires? Any other parts?
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    2.5 maxxis minion DH DHR & DHF. Maxxis Downhill tubes and Freeride tubes. Kenda Nevegal 2.5's and tubes. The Stick-E compound is nice. As for the DH parts, what ever brand you carry in the shop would do, just DH specific. I guess as more people start riding Alyeska, you'll get a better idea of what broken parts people will need to replace . I don't blame any shops in Anchorage, the demand has not been there yet. When I travel up there, I bring the spare parts I think I might need. When the shops have the demand and start carrying the parts, my bike box will get lighter! These things don't happen over night. As for buying parts at Alyeska, if they are like any other bike park, the price will be very high I'm sure.

One question I have is, do any of the shops in Anchorage rebuild/service Rockshox Boxxers and the like?

P.S. I will be more than happy to buy my DH parts from Speedway

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Who's going up? And what are the trails gonna be like? I'm visiting from Bellingham and although I didn't even bring my 5 tennies (unusual) I'm gonna go and rent one of the scott bikes. If there are any local shredders that wanna split gas, I'd be down to go.

mtbr member
    went today, some good "new" lines from last year. Some gnar stuff in the trees I'll heading back in the a.m.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm down if anyone wants to ride Mid next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    are they open midweek? i thought the website said fri.-sun. 11 to 6.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The only reason I would shop at speedway is Hank. The first 2 times I went in that shop I was completely ignored by the staff. Last time I was ignored by everyone until Hank came out from the back. I'm not a Lycra wearing yuppie so I'm not their target demographic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You are a better reader than I am LiveFreeorDie. I just checked the site and you are correct. I could make it this Friday if you're game.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hank Fvcking rules!

Hay Jed Do you know Little Jeff S?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PCruiser View Post
    You are a better reader than I am LiveFreeorDie. I just checked the site and you are correct. I could make it this Friday if you're game.
    Sounds good. By the way, what are the trails like up there? I ride in Cascadia where everything is insanely steep, rocky, rooty and plain ol' gnar gnar.There's tons of big moves and features, but the bike shop guys I've talked to make Alyeska seem like it's gonna be a letdown. Is there a jump trail? Are there any steep gnar trails? Should I even bother with pads? Not to sound like a D-bag but I ride Galbraith mt. on a P-bike with 4", no front brake and a skid lid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie View Post
    Sounds good. By the way, what are the trails like up there? I ride in Cascadia where everything is insanely steep, rocky, rooty and plain ol' gnar gnar.There's tons of big moves and features, but the bike shop guys I've talked to make Alyeska seem like it's gonna be a letdown. Is there a jump trail? Are there any steep gnar trails? Should I even bother with pads? Not to sound like a D-bag but I ride Galbraith mt. on a P-bike with 4", no front brake and a skid lid.
    Cool. I'm not too sure what it's going to be like, never been. One of the guys here posted a video on YouTube a few days ago. I'd like to try it out for a day. Hit me up if you're still down to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    The only reason I would shop at speedway is Hank. The first 2 times I went in that shop I was completely ignored by the staff. Last time I was ignored by everyone until Hank came out from the back. I'm not a Lycra wearing yuppie so I'm not their target demographic.
    I have been to three local shops, and that is just the local attitude. I have well over an hour between them just staring at bikes waiting for someone to chime in. I went to a shop tonight where I am immediately greeted and I ask where the more serious/ long travel bikes are, and no joke, I get pointed to the $300 hardtails across the shop from the real bikes. Or one of the other shops I am seriously looking to buy from the person that has dealt with me a couple of times says "yeah yeah yeah" really quickly the whole time I am talking. So far there is some real disappointment.