Sheep Mountain 150/100 trip reports?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sheep Mountain 150/100 trip reports?

Where are they folks? Oh, I've seen the race results, but what was it like out there? Some pretty tough riders scratched, so there should be stories to tell. Maybe everyone's out training for the ITI.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think it was mostly pretty nice out there. Weather was good. Trails were mostly pretty good. Just a tough course profile. And a lot of darkness. But when it was daylight it was pretty beautiful around there.

That route has the potential to get MUCH more difficult than it was this year. But make no mistake, it was a tough ride last year. Just hard to deal with a trail that is so relentlesss (I guess is the best word for it) at that time of year with limited training miles.

But it was pretty fun too. The stop-over at Eureka Summit Lodge (x2) was great, and there isn't a better place to base a race out of then Sheep Mtn lodge. Zack went way out of his way to make us feel at home there.

I hope to see a lot more folks there next year. Its definetly a big bite for that time of year. But it was worth it.

mtbr member

Relentless, yet fun...

It might take a winter bike racer (or RAAM rider) to put those two words in the same race report. Looks like great, new event in a beautiful area. Only driven by that area myself. Thanks for the first-hand account, Jeff. Sounds like conditions were so-so? How much of the route was rideable that weekend would you say?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The trails were in good shape. The only stuff that we pushed was stuff that was too steep and/or we were too tired to ride. And maybe a mile or so coming down from the pass towards Eureka that was really soft/sugary. I'd guess 15-20 miles total. Just a guess though. A lot of the riding was granny gear, grinding uphill.

You look at the route on the map and you know its gonna be tough going in. So its not really a surprise. I think the biggest difference between this route and others that I've raced/ridden is that there is not much in the way of *easy* miles on this one. You work for just about all of them.

Only downside was that we didn't get to see ANY of the Eureka loop. Would like to ride that during daylight sometime.

I think Billy, Bob and a lot of other volunteers did a great job putting on the race from start to finish. The time limit was nearly a factor and would have been in slightly worse conditions. I think he's planning to extend that next year. With the 150 and 100 mile options and the easy road run between Sheep and Eureka...something there for most people that want to get out on a ride.

And it was fun. Good hard fun.

Sorry for the randomness. I meant to post something about this afterwards but didn't get it done.

mtbr member

Trip Report

First, Well Said to Mr. Jeff Oatley for such an accurate depiction of a bike race. So really not much else to say on that front Jeff pretty much nails it! From my end as a 100 mile rider I can contribute a more tourist prospective.
    This is a unique experience, I am so glad to have the commemorative Ulu from this ride, because I know I got lucky- this trail has a devilish propensity towards difficulty. The trail conditions were as good as any on balance, but the hills were many. Wow I had not really trained per say as I had planned on a fun two day tour with my 39hr finish window for the 100 I thought I could cruise it.
    I had looked at the elevation profile and my stomach had turned somersaults. I never looked at it again-it freaked me out. So I continued with my good time charlie training methods. But I did have the sense to hit the hills when I did my 4hr rides.
    Anyway my real input here is that this course is awesome, this is a Billy ride. It is fun, it is doable, who knows what the trail will bring next year? I know that with ideal trail conditions this ride is a bit of an ass-kicker so be warned, but also be enthused- these things are worth it. This is the best of Alaska Fatbike. So fun, so Alaska!

Also somewhat random but just some ideres,
    Frank McGuire

Also best Chili ever from Sheep Mountain Lodge!!!! Zack is an amazing host.
    Last edited by FrankM; 01-27-2011 at 01:39 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0