Sharing?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sharing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Sharing?

I know this subject has been beat to death but I ran into a bit of the biker v skier mindset the other day. I was leading a group of Junior Nordic kids on Saturday and intended to take them out on the Ballfield Boogie trails. I thought the trails would still be soft and we could pack them down a bit. I also want to teach the kids at an early age that bikers and skiers are all good on trails. When we were about to turn onto the singletrack from the Tour Trail we met a biker coming off the singletrack. When I asked them how the trail was thay said it wasn't any good. When I said we'd go in and pack it down they said it didn't need it and that bikers didn't have many trails for themselves and this was one of the best. The inference was that we would wreck it somehow. As it turned out the trail was very hard and did not need packing out but 10 little kids skiing on it didn't seem to hurt it. I rode it later and it was still a good ride.
    There are some skiers that are total jerks but as we found out while building the Kincaid trails this summer there are some jerk bikers too. I hope the biker we met had maybe just had a bad run in with a skier and doesn't really think little kids should not ski on the skinny trails out in FNBP because they sure love it out there.
    Seems to me like skiers, snowshoers, walkers and all (well maybe not horses) are good for packing down the narrow twisty stuff. What do others think?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I would agree with you. I brought my skis and dog on that trail recently to pack it down. My dog likes to say hi to everyone and the guy gave me a salty look along with a comment to the dog "bet you've never seen one of these bikes before". I said "no i guess not, I have a Mukluk, she hasn't seen a pugsley"

Skiing single track is almost as fun as biking it. After a snow storm, having thos JN kids ski the singletrack seems like a great idea to me, certainly saves me(and others) a lot of push grooming. I saw one other set of tire tracks on the Boogie trails last night, I'm not sure where all these fat tire bikes are being ridden?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Right on

Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    There are some skiers that are total jerks but as we found out while building the Kincaid trails this summer there are some jerk bikers too.
    I think you get to the heart of the problem here. It is not that one group is all jerks, it is that people of ALL groups can be jerks occasionally. I bet that skiers and bikers get along just fine 95% of the time, just as people in general probably get along about 95% of the time (all statistics are approximate). Unfortunately, we only hear about the ugly 5% and then we generalize that to the whole group.

We are people. We like people who we view as similar to ourselves. This skews our interactions out on the trail. It is human nature to be more friendly/lenient/tolerant of similar trail users, and more confrontational with "different" trail users. I don't doubt that there are sometimes legitimate conflicts, but it not because skiers are jerks or bikers are jerks, it is because we are all people with different perspectives.

We just need to recognize this, and get over the name-calling between groups. Those of us who brave sub-zero temperatures to play in the woods are all allies. Well, except for those 5%. They are bastards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by x-cer View Post
    ......I don't doubt that there are sometimes legitimate conflicts, but it not because skiers are jerks or bikers are jerks, it is because we are all jerks....
    Fixed. LOL

In all seriousness, I have found the same thing. Most users are great, just a handful that seem to be a bit confrontational.

Go out and enjoy the trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The more people on the trails the better--especially for me on my skinny snocats That is until Speedway gets the new Fatbacks in!

99% of people are usually just as happy as I am to be out of the house and on the trails!

Bikes are good

Yep

To match skier vs skier, in the backcountry, there are skiers that are complete tool boxes to everyone else out there. In riding, there are as many arrogant leg shavers that think the world of riders owe them something. The hybrid mix of people on the trail systems in Anchorage make for a unique a-hole melting pot. I don't understand the nerve of some of any of them to actually say something snarkish to someone out there. I want to go ski the singletrack trails just to meet this cat.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Unfortunately some folks view their choice of recreation higher thans others. I was just on the Boggie yest on my way home and had a wonderful conversation with a dog walker. We both agreed that we help each other have great singletrack trails. I am a skier as well, sometimes the IQ drops by a factor of 10 when when 2 little wooden stick get strapped to your feet. Skijorers factor of 20 in IQ loss..... Horse riders are so elitest that they can't think at all.... So go ride as many small ski/snowshoe trails you can find. Grinning all the way!

mtbr member
    The crappier the trails, the longer the ride and the better the workout. People complain too much, and ride too little. Peace.

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by dumb_argentinean View Post
    the crappier the trails, the longer the ride and the better the workout. People complain too much, and ride too little. Peace.

+1:d
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT