Seward Ranger District trails in danger.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upset Seward Ranger District trails in danger.....

I just recieved my Artic Bike Club news letter and it said that "Lost Lakes Trail" may be closed to MTB's and that the other favorites may open a month later......a work day on Cooper Landing end of Reserection Trail is being organized on Nation Trails Day which is June 5th I think. I'm wondering if SRD can close a trail to bikes without public comment? I am disturbed with this info.......anyone else get this info? Any ideas on what we can do? I have commited to a local Anchorage trail maint day on National trail day and will not be able to work on a SRD trail......Speek up you guys!!!!! IMBA will be in Palmer this summer for some trail work but I think that may be too late....
    UNITE........................
    Dave

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Did SRD site reasons??

Dave,

Did SRD site reasons for potential Lost Lake Trail closure to MTBikes? This would be a great loss to the MTBiking community as it is one of the most scenic trails in South Central. I was able to ride the trail twice last year and I did unfortunately run across a group of rowdy downhillers that were riding way, way too fast around blind corners, and launching off the water bars down the summer southern trail below the Dale Clemens Cabin. Not pointing fingers, but its people who ride without regard that lead to trail closures…and I see this all the time here in Anchorage.

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well The info was in ABC's news letter.....

Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    Dave,

Did SRD site reasons for potential Lost Lake Trail closure to MTBikes? This would be a great loss to the MTBiking community as it is one of the most scenic trails in South Central. I was able to ride the trail twice last year and I did unfortunately run across a group of rowdy downhillers that were riding way, way too fast around blind corners, and launching off the water bars down the summer southern trail below the Dale Clemens Cabin. Not pointing fingers, but its people who ride without regard that lead to trail closures…and I see this all the time here in Anchorage.

EndUser
    No reasons were given in the letter. I will be speaking with the person who composed the news letter today or tomarrow and may will have some more info. I agree......on the fact that some riders may cause us all problems. There are times and places where fast argo riding is not the thing to do! There is not enough enformation yet to point fingers any any one group and simple trail damage may be to blame. If that is the case then the "horsies" need to be kept off the trails when soft....
    Dave

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Upset Please report back when you get the info from ABC...

I suspect you are correct. I believe trail damage pinned on MTBikers will likely be the reason. I find this altogether a frustrating issue here in Alaska. As we all know, it's rather wet here and strict application of the "Tread Lightly" rules are not always reasonable...or we'd never ride, walk, nor run on any of these trail systems. In my 10 years of living here, I've never once ridden Johnson Pass, Lost Lake, Russian River, or Resurrection trails without encountering some soft spots. There has to be some reasonable level of tolerance to trail damage as it's only a reality here in AK and we need to convince the policy makers of this. I believe that we, the collective we (hikers, bikers, equestrians etc.), should pay "user fees" or purchase (either by paying$$ or by volunteering for state run trail crews) yearly user permits to use the more heavily used trails to specifically fund annual trail maintenance and preventive maintenance. I would have no problem with this, as I'm not in denial about the trail damage I'm personally responsible for.

Fundamentally, tread lightly rules apply to all trail activity, but usually it's associated with only MTBiking and it's clearly applied inconsistently among different user groups. I can sight example after example where tread lightly rules are not applied consistently nor equally across the board. A fine example would be the Middle Fork Trail here on the hillside of Anchorage. From the other side of the valley, I've witnessed many, many, many hikers and backpackers post-holing along the boggy sections of the trail during the spring/summer/fall for miles yet it's off limits to mountain biking?? This level of Tread Lightly is tolerated by the state, but only for hiking?? This level of inconsistent application is clearly shaped by political biases and personal intolerances at the level of the policy makers.

Signed, "extremely concerned"

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

mtbr member

No good Well, I tried to get info.....

Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    I suspect you are correct. I believe trail damage pinned on MTBikers will likely be the reason. I find this altogether a frustrating issue here in Alaska. As we all know, it's rather wet here and strict application of the "Tread Lightly" rules are not always reasonable...or we'd never ride, walk, nor run on any of these trail systems. In my 10 years of living here, I've never once ridden Johnson Pass, Lost Lake, Russian River, or Resurrection trails without encountering some soft spots. There has to be some reasonable level of tolerance to trail damage as it's only a reality here in AK and we need to convince the policy makers of this. I believe that we, the collective we (hikers, bikers, equestrians etc.), should pay "user fees" or purchase (either by paying$$ or by volunteering for state run trail crews) yearly user permits to use the more heavily used trails to specifically fund annual trail maintenance and preventive maintenance. I would have no problem with this, as I'm not in denial about the trail damage I'm personally responsible for.

Fundamentally, tread lightly rules apply to all trail activity, but usually it's associated with only MTBiking and it's clearly applied inconsistently among different user groups. I can sight example after example where tread lightly rules are not applied consistently nor equally across the board. A fine example would be the Middle Fork Trail here on the hillside of Anchorage. From the other side of the valley, I've witnessed many, many, many hikers and backpackers post-holing along the boggy sections of the trail during the spring/summer/fall for miles yet it's off limits to mountain biking?? This level of Tread Lightly is tolerated by the state, but only for hiking?? This level of inconsistent application is clearly shaped by political biases and personal intolerances at the level of the policy makers.

Signed, "extremely concerned"

EndUser
    I went to the shop where the author of the artical works and he is in the states attending a Suspension class. I spoke to the shop manager and staff and they were concerned but did not know any details. If I find out anything else I will post.
    Dave