mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Seward or Denali riding?

Planning to be in Alaska in July mainly hitting up Seward and Denali for a week.

Looks like there's a few trail in Seward (Lost Lake). Any other recommendations in the area? Or even between Anchorage and Seward? I heard Seward as a town isn't so interesting, but we are planning to kayak amongst the glaciers.

Will need to a good shop rental as well since I won't be traveling with my bike and e-bike rentals would be a bonus if wife decides to join me on the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Crickets? I guess most folks in Alaska right now are enjoying 20hrs of daylight?

I only found the Seward bike shop that rents hardtails. They guy said it's fine to ride for Lost Lake, but looking for 2nd opinions.

mtbr member
    Lost Lake from Seward side as an out and back is a must do.
    If a hardtail won't work, rent from one of the many bike shops in anchorage or girdwood.

And then there is everything else, depends on what type of riding or mileage limitation/goals

https://www.singletracks.com/mountai...w_state_id=382

mtbr member
    Bring lots of money. Two years ago I spent a few weeks road touring there. A convenience store in the interior sold regular sized bags of Cheetos for $9. Gas, diesel and hamburgers were similarly higher than the lower 48, at least, anywhere a significant distance from Anchorage. Load up at the Walmart in Anchorage before you leave.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Seward is a fun town. There's a solid day or two worth of town stuff you could do. Lots of outdoor activities as well. Lost Lake is fine with a decent hardtail.

There are multiple other trails that you could hit up on the way to Anchorage from Seward, Johnson Pass, Devil's Creek Trail and so on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Crickets? I guess most folks in Alaska right now are enjoying 20hrs of daylight?

I only found the Seward bike shop that rents hardtails. They guy said it's fine to ride for Lost Lake, but looking for 2nd opinions.
    Wondering how you made out on this trip. I'm doing a similar trip (most of the trip consumed with Seward and Denali) this July and looking for possible biking options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I did travel to Alaska this past July - but did NOT end up riding. TBH, we got a bit unlucky with weather and it rained a couple of days in Seward and got windy which we had to rescheduled our kayaking trip and doubleback.

We rented an RV which gave us flexibility to hit Denali a day early. That said in July Denali is only visible 1 out 3 days. Again - with flexibility of the RV - we were lucky able to see Denali on our way back down to Seward on the 3rd day up there.

Given our priorities for this trip was to see Denali and kayaking among the icebergs and glaciers in Seward which both are weather dependent, we did not have time to fit in riding as well. We were there for 7 days - but did lose some time due to weather and having to doubleback to Seward to get our kayaking in.

Overall - weather is in the luck of the draw, but probably June would have been better given our priorities. I do recommend going the RV route as it gives you more flexibility to go exactly where you want to when you want to. You'll be able to pack you bike into RV without issue as well if you choose to bring your own bike.