Sat Ride Starting @ Pt. Mackenzie General Store- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Sat Ride Starting @ Pt. Mackenzie General Store

A few of us are heading up towards the start of the Susitna (Pt. Mackenzie General Store) for a ride on Saturday the 12th.
    We will be carpooling and meeting in the Fred Meyers parking lot at the corner of Debarr & Muldoon at 6:45am (Map)

Use this thread for any questions and or carpooling details.

Jul 2006

Carpooling

I have room for one more person and a bike that can be fork mounted too a rack.
    Last edited by aka bubba; 01-07-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Wood chips are stupid

overnighter?

Is this going to be a day ride or a camp out?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Jul 2006
    There was some talk of making it an overnighter but I think it is still up in the air. I can not do an overnighter so this will be an all day ride for me.

Beware of Doggerel

Sounds like fun

I need to get out there. But 6:45??? ouch that hurts. What route are you planning, maybe I'll head out friday night and meet you on the trail.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    6:45??? ouch that hurts.
    Tell me about it that is early, but I figured if we left at 7 we would get to the general store at or around 8:30 / 8:45 give or take optimizing the day giving us 6/7 hours of riding

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OMG! 6:45AM?

Excluding my bike, I can take 1 more disc brake bike, and 2 non-disc/no front brake bikes. All would have to be mounted by the forks. If necessary I could take 4 without taking tires off at all, + the 2 on top but I would need to know soon, so that I could ask to borrow my friends hitch mounted rack. (the type similar to the ones on the People Mover)

and again. 6:45AM!?!?!

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon D
    OMG! 6:45AM?
    What a bunch of girlie men we have

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sunday, after the Frosty Bottom, a few of us spent the day clearing trail from the Little Su crossing. We got about two miles in and now the trail is brush free. I would recommend riding out on the outbound Susitna course now that its clear, its a nice trail. From the Pt Mac store go toward the Little Su Landing, cross the river and up the 4 foot drop and you're good. When you get to the first swamp, take the first trail to the right. Thats the first few miles of the course. Have fun, I wish I could join you.

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Ice road to Flathorn Lake

From a buddy of mine with a cabin up Alexander Creek:

"I talked to the freight hauler for Alexander Creek and Flathorn Lake (a guy that is paid to haul fuel by snowmobiles to these places) just after xmas. He said - no ice road to the Big Su this year. But he did hear that there was going to soon be an ice road put in to go near Flathorn Lake. The reason was for making wood chips from native corporation land near Flathorn Lake. Where exactly it goes I don't know. But I will likely know this w/end!!"

Bbe sure to let us know if you see any sign of this ice road on your weekend ride...

Wood chips are stupid

Fri night

I plan on riding out Fri afternoon and making a evening of it. Gonna' try to make it to Eagle Song and stay the night. Have a new bag to try out.Will probably run into you guys Sat sometime. Anyone want to join in? Fun fun fun!

akdeluxe

JT

Bikes are good

Tires

Would 2.7's work on the trails out there?

It would be cool if they did.

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    Would 2.7's work on the trails out there?

It would be cool if they did.
    Yes they should work, especially if thats all you have. Riders raced on even skinnier for years.

akdeluxe

JT

Jul 2006
    Bad news guys, I woke up this morning with a sore throat and muscle ache. I thought it would pass but now I am oficialy bed bound. You guys have fun and be safe.....................

Wood chips are stupid

bean spiller

Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    Bad news guys, I woke up this morning with a sore throat and muscle ache. I thought it would pass but now I am oficialy bed bound. You guys have fun and be safe.....................
    oh,great. Now everyone will know

akdeluxe

JT

mtbr member

Lil Su 50 course update

Started at 9:15 at the Pt Mac store today ... er alone. Did the Lil Su 50K loop - trails soft but ridable with some lower pressures. No trail beside Ayrshire yet, but the trails from and to Flathorn great. The left turn onto Flathorn lake had'nt as of today had any recent sno-go traffic. Strong Emotional Italian accent: 30 miles to ride, one mile to push.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Caveman
    nice photo tony - looks blower..
    this dry cold sure is nice.

Wood chips are stupid
    cool pic Tony.

JT

Bikes are good

2.7's ??

I think I would have been in trouble out there with my 2.7's I'm riding DH laser disc rims., but still???

mtbr member

might work -

The photo above is just some serious struggling on the finger of Flathorn.. gassed and getting sweaty, I pushed the next 3/4 mile.

Your 2.7's probably would have been fine on most of the rest of the trail - assuming you don't weigh to much. I was travelling with the Su 100 required kit ( training for 09) here's a photo indicative of the first 15 miles - that is a normal width paddle track under the 6 psi Endo track - note the smooth margins...

Any body doing the "campout" ? I'll bring the beer...
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Caveman
    that photo gave me deja vu of this..

Members who have read this thread: 0