Rocky River- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rocky River

Bill M

Rocky River

Kathi M, Dan L and I took the water taxi to Jakalof Bay with our bikes. Plan was to ride across to Windy Bay and back across to Port Graham. Had a great afternoon ride to Kenai Chrome mine. Nice camp in front of Red Mountain. The next morning we rode back and took the Rocky river trail. The pulley system at the second crossing is shot so we gave wading the river a try. The river was high after the hot sunny weather. Dan L. led out only to be swept 150 feet downstream in the rapids before being shot out in an eddy. He managed a safe exit and even held on to all his gear. The cable still looks safe but a pulley, harness and 60 meters of rope (that we didn't have) would be needed to set up a safe crossing. We rode back to Soldovia, flew to Port Graham and spent a couple of days watching it rain sideways and a couple of more days beachcombing and eating fresh fish. If you give it a try don't forget your permit from the Port Graham Native corp.
    Bill M
    Attached Images Attached Images

FatBike Fiend
    Rocky River: 1. Bikers: 0. Nice attempt, though. I talked to DanL today and he noted that in addition to certain parts of his anatomy suffering major shrinkage, his cell phone and digital camera didn't like being wet either.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Caveman
    looked like a great adventure as always Bill. Nice!

is he really being swept away in that last photo? I heard there are pretty big waterfalls on that river..

Bill M

Yep!! Swept Away

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    looked like a great adventure as always Bill. Nice!

is he really being swept away in that last photo? I heard there are pretty big waterfalls on that river..
    Yep! He got swept away and got lucky to be spit out in an eddy. Kathi M was going to take pictures of the crossing and figured since she couldn't help him she might as well get one last picture of him before he went over the falls.

Caveman
    People are always asking what makes for a good Alaskan mtn bike ride... I think you hit it pretty well here. Long Drive, water taxi, snow fields, river crossings, bushwacking, near drowndings..bears.. how about bears?

Bill M

Bears

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    People are always asking what makes for a good Alaskan mtn bike ride... I think you hit it pretty well here. Long Drive, water taxi, snow fields, river crossings, bushwacking, near drowndings..bears.. how about bears?
    Met one big Black Bear coming down the trail but he decided to turn around and lead us to the river crossing. I am sure he was disappointed when Dan didn't drown so he could feast without a fight. The air service pilot we flew with said he saw 17 bears on one flight over the area and a local hunting guide said watch out for those pesky black bears when we camped. You are right it was a classic Alaskan ride! It's not everywhere you can see a Humpback Whale, ride with the bears, swim rapids, bushwack through Devils Club, slide down snow fields, flight see, and eat fresh mussels and red salmon all on one bike ride. We even call it work at tax time! ( exploratory guide training ) Guess that's why we live here!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0