Roadie on the coastal trail- Mtbr.com
    Bikes are good

Roadie on the coastal trail

I like road riding. The grind, the workout, the getting ready for actual biking in the hills. Today, on a nice little ride with my mom for Mothers day I watched a roadie almost flatten a 3 year old little girl on the trail. I saw him buzzing around the lake at close to 20 mph. The little kid was running across the trail to meet up with her parents. Dude yells "hey hey hey" to the kid that had no idea he was about to run her down, then scoffed and yelled at the parents to "get control of your kid."

If my own mom wasn't there, I might have steered in front of the guy just to see what happened. As it was, I let him pass unscathed and wondered what the hell someone like that is thinking. The coastal trail isn't a place to time trial your road bike to Kincaid on a sunny Sunday afternoon on a holiday. Or maybe I'm crazy, and should assume that the hordes of people that flock on that trail will all abide by the "Keep right" rule and I should try blazing it on my weenie road bike at 20mph.

No. He's a toolbox.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Elitest thrill junkie
    I rode the trail last weekend, but I guess I was doing it wrong, I'd hold back until there was a place to pass, then go slowly around families and stuff, then get back up to speed.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Slowing down will wreck your Strava times. Those pesky kids, dogs, walkers, etc. need to get out of the way.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You get a way better workout by slowing down and speeding up. It's like fartleks on the bike.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Same experiences from every time i've ridden it. Roadies who don't slow down...who are ***** if you say anything...if you wanna go fast, wait till the trail is empty and you can work on moose dodging.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's ok if you yell strava at the top of your lungs. Warning given! LOL

sluice box

Strava!!!!!

Name:  airflow_TT+helmet+backwards.JPG
Views: 1459
Size:  23.0 KB

mtbr member
    The roadies are on the Chester/ Coastal trail are a pet peeve of mine. If you want to ride fast ride your road bike on the roads. I took one out last year when he crashed into my Fatback...

Bikes are good
    If they rode their road bikes on the roads, they wouldn't feel like they were going so fast. Maybe that is why they are such bad a$$e$ on the coastal trail.

Anchorage, AK
    I have a huge problem with roadie snobs. Encountered quite a few while in Maui and even helped out a couple when they didn't carry the necessary food/water/tools for their timed, personal best seeking ride. Mostly it's what they wear. I understand that clothing for racing, but for a nice ride out on local trails, if you look like that, you're better off in a music video from the 80's..
    two wheel livin'..

seedub
    "If you ride on sidewalks or trails, go slow. You're a "pedestrian" sharing space with other pedestrians. You must ride at a speed that is "reasonable and prudent" considering conditions and your fellow users."

Read more here: Police Chief Mark Mew: Rules of the road for bicyclists and motorists | Outdoors | ADN.com

- Chief Mew explains.

Somewhere else this winter I remember reading something like "...if bikers want to ride above ~ 15 mph they should be on the road" I can't remember where I read it though. I could be dreaming it up.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

sluice box
    I know Chief Keef-Mew bikes but AnchoRage has lots of growing to do before bikes can be safely used in the streets. I'll keep driving my lifted truck when I come to town just in case an impaired Melissa Rabe runs a red light I'll have the upper hand.
    Bicycle laws in Anchorage, Alaska, protect drivers who hit cyclists after running red light | Alaska Dispatch

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    With a great Police Department like Anchorage has i think it will be a long time before you can ride on the streets with any hope that you will be safe. I feel that article Cheif Mew did just gave the impression that bikers better stay the hell out of the way of motor vehicles.
    But i guess its not a big suprise from a Police Cheif that ran into the back of a car playing with his iphone and it was not his fault because his phone was making noise.

Bikes are good
    Well, I kind of agree with the idea that if you are going to ride in town (Sidewalks, crossing driveways) then you should watch the hell out and be vigilant about spotting cars at every position as you go. It isn't safe, but a mistake by an ignorant driver is your life, not theirs. Doesn't matter at that point whose fault it is. I was hit 3 times as a kid because I didn't understand that car drivers don't really watch for bikers, or pay attention to the walk signs. Luckily, my bike was just hurt each time. I watched a kid get waxed heading east on the sidewalk by the baptist temple last summer. Lady wasn't even looking that direction and he was in front of her car carrying a blue slurpee. He's lucky as hell too. Lady tried giving him 10 bucks and was going to leave even. I got there and called the cops. Told her if she left she'd be a felon.

Can't control the crazy bastards out there, only what we do I suppose. It is a frustrating phenomenon though.

So I guess we better just look out for the roadies ripping on the coastal trail. Maybe we should get speed limit signs?? That would be funny.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    So I guess we better just look out for the roadies ripping on the coastal trail. Maybe we should get speed limit signs?? That would be funny.
    Actually, speed limit signs as well as active enforcement of them isn't all that uncommon in the lesser 48 for trails that are heavily used by non-bike users. It really isn't all that far out of realistic possibility that we could see something along those lines on trails such as the Coastal Trail, Chester Creek Trail, and/or Campbell Creek Trail.

seedub
    The little kid was running across the trail to meet up with her parents. Dude yells "hey hey hey" to the kid that had no idea he was about to run her down, then scoffed and yelled at the parents to "get control of your kid."

How is this roadie behaving any diff from the way we sometimes think of drivers behaving towards bikes on a roadway? I point this mentality out to my non-riding coworkers all the time.
    If bikes don't belong on the road 'cuz we could be squished by autos, then economy cars shouldn't be allowed anywhere F-350's roam free, not to mention 18, or 16, or duallies roam.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    A "4 abreast" ride with fatbikes would solve this fast.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bikes are good
    Some people are just real a$$holes is what it boils down to. Not all drivers are aggressive to bikers on the road, but I'd bet most are unaware and/or neglectful of riders using the road. The coastal trail speed demons are neglectful, feel some sort of entitlement to the trail system and have no consideration for other trail users. It is one version of the a$$hole previously mentioned.

mtbr member
    I have a sign hanging on my office door:

Pedestrians hate cars,
    Cars hate pedestrians,
    Everyone hates bicycles.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pedestrians hate cars,
    Cars hate pedestrians,
    Everyone hates bicycles.....[/QUOTE]

That Good