Road conditions between Anchorage and Homer...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

... and if we just ... Road conditions between Anchorage and Homer...

Looking for thoughts/experiences from those who have ridden on the Sterling Hwy. I realize this is the MTBR forum...but it's also one of the most active Alaskan cycling forums I've found.

I'm considering a 3 day trip from Anchorage down to Homer on my Specialized Tricross Sport. I've driven the route a few times over the years but never thought about it from the cycling POV.

What I do remember is that there are a few places along the Sterling Hwy, specifically west and near Cooper Landing paralleling the river, that are very tight with little/no shoulder. That's my first area of concern.

My second area of concern is the road/shoulder portion around Turnagain Arm from Anchorage to the beginning of the bicycle trail. Again...have driven it but never paid much attention to the shoulder conditions.

Any other areas you'd be concerned about? I'm really trying to recall if it's as bad as I think it might be in those places.

Thanks!
    Andy
    Kodiak

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry, don't know about the cycle POV, but did want to take a second to wish you a safe ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have never ridden the whole thing, but I have ridden portions, and drive the Soldotna to Anch. portion every Tuesday. Your concerns of the C.L area are very valid, I would suggest trying to time it where your through here very early in a.m. You will have trailer truck traffic, but its still light enough for you to be visible, and they are proffesional drivers, not weekend warriors and blue hairs in motorhomes that most people have no buisness driving on any road, let alone the sterling highway! The Anch. to start of bike trail I would not worry to much about, always bikers on that portion so most people are used to looking out for us. The area through Ninilchik can be pretty hairy. The ride down into Homer makes it all worth it though, awesome view, and high speed! Good luck!

Cycling for Life
    I’ll second the ‘mid week & off peak hours’ plan if you can do that.
    I grew up on the Peninsula and think this would be a great ride with the proper planning/timing.
    I might also suggest checking the Kenai River fishing report as when the Kings are heavy in the River there will be an army of 4X4 driving Anc residents headed down there in droves at all hours of the day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Excellent, thanks guys. Much appreciated! Plans may be changing so not sure if I'll do it or not...