Rippy Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rippy Trail

FatBike Fiend

Rippy Trail

Just wanted to get the beta out on the new 3.8 mile Rippy Trail reroute that was done this summer. This was primarily intended as an ATV trail but it's a blast on a mountain bike. There are some nice long downhills with banked turns, a few shallow creek crossings, and some chunk sections. Most of it on south facing hillsides with views of the Knik River valley and Pioneer Peak. Also check out the new 55 foot span bridge across Jim Creek

Rippy Trail-rippy-trail_edited.jpg

This was a State of Alaska DNR project. Jon Underwood from Happy Trails was the general contractor. I worked operating an excavator and many other folks from the Alaska trail building community were involved as well. The trail has been very well received by the ATV community and is holding up well. I've been seeing a few mountain bikers aready but most people don't know about this cool new trail near Palmer.

To get there, take the Old Glenn Highway from Palmer, cross the Matanuska River Bridge and head out toward The Butte for a few miles. Take a left on Maud Rd and folllow it for several miles along the base of the mountains as it turns from pavement to gravel. Park at a cul de sac just past a new shooting range and you'll see the sign marking the trailhead.

Enjoy.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yea, nobody's going to get raped and killed on that trail...

Don't mind me I'm homesick.

mtbr member
    Ha! Classic!

mtbr member

Rippy Trail

Awesome. I almost went there today after you or someone else mentioned it in another thread. I'll add it to my todo list. In other news I packed down the trails at the river park for everyone. There was at least 1/4" of powder. Luckily I was able to float over it. :-)

mtbr member

Rippy Trail

I might hit it at 3 tomorrow if anyone's up for it.

mtbr member
    Any pics of the trail?

mtbr member
    I was out this this AM - left from the parking area about 9:30 or so. Nice ride. I didn't get any pics, though. There were some other foot traffic tracks out there, but no bike tracks on the fresh snow. A good ride. Some nice climbing. Not sure that I'll head out that way again for a while, though. It takes about a half hour driving from my house to get there. Let me revise that - I'll not head back over there until I have time to make a full day of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    FYI there are traps set on this trail - all right near the lake/marsh that is the "turnaround point". My dog stepped on one and we found two more (and sprung them). Luckily no apparent damage to pooch but it will make me reconsider riding four wheeler trails in the valley if I'm bringing my dog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    FYI there are traps set on this trail - all right near the lake/marsh that is the "turnaround point". My dog stepped on one and we found two more (and sprung them). Luckily no apparent damage to pooch but it will make me reconsider riding four wheeler trails in the valley if I'm bringing my dog.
    Sorry to hear about that. Yes, one does need to be aware that in many of the public use Ares here there are traps set. Also, during moose season I wouldn't ride without wearingnday glo as there are some tree stands out there as well.

mtbr member

Rippy Trail

I wish they had to mark the lines. Some guys do and I always appreciate knowing to leash up my pup and get out of there. I wouldn't advertise springing of traps. Regardless of how we may feel about them, tampering with a trap line is illegal.

FatBike Fiend
    That's one of the biggest bummers about building new trails. It would be nice if the trappers could set their traps at least a few hundred feet off a public recreational trail but many set their traps close to the trails, or even directly in the trail itself. The reality is that these practices are legal under state game laws and there is no obligation to post signs warning of traps set near trails. And trappers are quick to point to the Mat-Su Borough leash laws if a dog gets caught. Due to the current popularity of recreational trapping, it's a safe bet to assume almost any trail has traps set along it during the winter months. Even very popular and seemingly safe areas like Crevasse-Moraine and Matanuska Lakes have traps present in the winter. Not saying it's right, just that's the way it is. Glad your dog is okay.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    May 2014

Loved the trail!

Hats off and thanks to everyone that worked on it, including you Wildfire!

I grew up towards the end of Maud and had explored so many of these trails but they were never in this prime condition for biking!

The first bit of the Rippy trail is a 'technical' with big rooty sections and some river type rock. But then it opens up to a nice smooth double track as you climb up and then back down. Once you pass the bridge it loops around through very thick birch. It is silent out there and well worth the ride.

Since I wasn't sure how long it would take to reach the loop at the end I played it safe and headed back. I stopped at Jim Creek and explored that area and watched some very ripe salmon making their way upstream. I can't believe the obstacles they face just to get that far up past the bridge. I also stopped at the look out point that provides expansive views towards Jim Lake, Burn Butte, Bodenburg Butte, and Pioneer Peak.

Next time I wish to explore beyond the loop at the end, towards the next lake and see what type of terrain is back there. I'm also looking for good moose country. Even if I need to ditch the bike along the way I really appreciate the beautiful work done on the trail.

Here are some pics: