Riding at Alyeska?- Mtbr.com
    Ologist

Riding at Alyeska?

Heard a rumor in town that Alyeska leased out a portion of the hill to be opened for riding this summer. Anyone heard anything?

Jun 2003

Have not heard that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Heard a rumor in town that Alyeska leased out a portion of the hill to be opened for riding this summer. Anyone heard anything?
    I will try to get more info.

FatBike Fiend

At the Tanaka lift

From what I heard there's a new bike club/ organization in Girdwood that will using the Tanaka lift area to set up a freeride park. Sounds good to me. Anybody from Girdwood here that might know anything more?

Jan 2004
    Quoted from this weeks Anchorage Press, corrections section:

"In last week's Outdoors Calendar (may 13-19), we incorrectly implied Alyeska Resort in Girdwood allows downhill mountain biking.
    It doesn't.
    We regret the error."

Gid
    " Here we go again......"
    May 2004

In the works

The rumors are true. I live in Girdwood, and can tell you that Warren is working overtime to make this happen. I talked to him a week ago, before coming to work on the slope, and he was preparing to meet with several businesses / groups in Anchorage for support. The Tanaka lift is the one being offered for use, which will provide around 800 vertical feet, stetched out with a course and some obstacles, it will provide a great starting point. If this interests anyone they need to let the bike shops and Alyeska know, because we are burning daylight. Like many things Alyeska has been behind the times on, this needs lots of support and help from the riders and shops to get it going. A perfect example is Boarderlines' Summer Camp. In the beginning we had to do it all, from digging the halfpipe and jumps by hand, to completely re-sheeting / building up the skatepark (which Scott still does). After several years of minimal support, now the Camp has access to Pipe Dragon and groomers. And as anyone who has put any faith in Alyeska Resort knows, if you can get them to agree to try something you had better Point it and not look back!

May 2004

damion did you used to work at the bike shop?

Jan 2004
    My brother just called me & said he heard a radio ad about this..
    They're preparing the course & setting the lift up with bike racks. but he didn't catch when it was opening.
    All day tickets are going to be $29.

Baked Alaskan
    they start running people on the lifts in a couple weeks and it is $29 for the day, channel 2 did a story about it on thursday
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Jun 2003

I still do.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffnrdy
    damion did you used to work at the bike shop?
    That is my summer gig. During the winter, I am a stay at home father of two. (4 and 1yoa.)

How did you know?

May 2004

hey

yeah i used to work with you, names justin remeber? worked there for about 3 years when ya started stoped the next year i beleave. i had the big black big hit, on a saturday nite ride we went up the dome. only time i think we rode together. maybe we can hit the trails sometime.

Jun 2003

Ruff!

Quote Originally Posted by ruffnrdy
    yeah i used to work with you, names justin remeber? worked there for about 3 years when ya started stoped the next year i beleave. i had the big black big hit, on a saturday nite ride we went up the dome. only time i think we rode together. maybe we can hit the trails sometime.
    Holy carp! Yeah, I remember that ride, you,and the BH. I am game. Glad to hear from you... Later.

May 2004

hehe

yeah man, i live right off boniface so if you want to hit the hillside lemme know. i was just on the dome tuesday nite, was gona camp out up there. but a bear didnt like the idea and i only had a .38 so i went home. but id be up for that sometime

Jul 2004

Now that were rollo-ing

Now that were up and going heres the dillio... This is Warren with the downhilldivision or D2 a freeride interest group, I am also an athlete and affiliated wih akryders, Nick Larson, B-rad Howell, Miguel Ramos, Ian, Corey, and Michael Hayes. D2 has received some small partial sponsorship from Red Bull and Don Joses, most of the financial backing has come from the Bicycle Shop, Ray has been totally supportive and has made the shop our exclusive and most generous "corporate" sponsor. Hes supplied us with some rentals, an RM6, and an RM7, with all the saftey equipment. We are still a long way away to having enough funds to keep it real. In the short time we have come a long way. With the help of akryders, kortney gean and his brothers Alyeska now has some great riding terrain. From the 900 vert., we have designed 2 trails that are apporoximately 2500ft in total distance. We have an easier trail, wide open no hidden obstacles or consequences for the lack of speed. We also have a more difficult trail, "alderbaun" steep descents with wood bridges and other technical trail features minimal distance from the ground. Everyone that rides either trail is pleased. It's easy to discounta new and such a small area, if you ask anyone whos ridden "d2 world" theyll be honest with you. I'm ready to create a new trail, north shore style, the problem is, is that we dont have good attendance yet. It's still hard for managemnet at the resort to let me expand, thus keeping riders happy. We have accomidated so far riders of all ability levels from high end beginner 10 years old or little experience, to near professionals who also enjoy every bit of the terrain available. So on fri sat and sun from 12-8 come with a smile,your 29 hard earned dollars, and your bike with a helmet. Dont think about it, or imagine it...come hang out learn somew new skills on some new tearrain, with a chair lift taking you up. I dont know how many people have actually made"laps" on their bikes out there quite like this, I tell you, its nothing like what weve been riding summer after summer after summer, its new and exciting, and its a great work out even though your not riding up hill at all. Seems to me theres more of you out there. I'll have some pics soon. Thanks to all who are a part and peace out...Warren downhilldivision 230-3437

Jun 2003

The corse is awesome, Warren!

Quote Originally Posted by downhilldivision
    Now that were up and going heres the dillio... This is Warren with the downhilldivision or D2 a freeride interest group, I am also an athlete and affiliated wih akryders, Nick Larson, B-rad Howell, Miguel Ramos, Ian, Corey, and Michael Hayes. D2 has received some small partial sponsorship from Red Bull and Don Joses, most of the financial backing has come from the Bicycle Shop, Ray has been totally supportive and has made the shop our exclusive and most generous "corporate" sponsor. Hes supplied us with some rentals, an RM6, and an RM7, with all the saftey equipment. We are still a long way away to having enough funds to keep it real. In the short time we have come a long way. With the help of akryders, kortney gean and his brothers Alyeska now has some great riding terrain. From the 900 vert., we have designed 2 trails that are apporoximately 2500ft in total distance. We have an easier trail, wide open no hidden obstacles or consequences for the lack of speed. We also have a more difficult trail, "alderbaun" steep descents with wood bridges and other technical trail features minimal distance from the ground. Everyone that rides either trail is pleased. It's easy to discounta new and such a small area, if you ask anyone whos ridden "d2 world" theyll be honest with you. I'm ready to create a new trail, north shore style, the problem is, is that we dont have good attendance yet. It's still hard for managemnet at the resort to let me expand, thus keeping riders happy. We have accomidated so far riders of all ability levels from high end beginner 10 years old or little experience, to near professionals who also enjoy every bit of the terrain available. So on fri sat and sun from 12-8 come with a smile,your 29 hard earned dollars, and your bike with a helmet. Dont think about it, or imagine it...come hang out learn somew new skills on some new tearrain, with a chair lift taking you up. I dont know how many people have actually made"laps" on their bikes out there quite like this, I tell you, its nothing like what weve been riding summer after summer after summer, its new and exciting, and its a great work out even though your not riding up hill at all. Seems to me theres more of you out there. I'll have some pics soon. Thanks to all who are a part and peace out...Warren downhilldivision 230-3437
    You guys rock! I had a great time at Aleyeska, and you will see me soon. Later.

WaveSailr, ****in-eh!!
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    You guys rock! I had a great time at Aleyeska, and you will see me soon. Later.
    Just got back from a GREAT day up there. It's all true. 2 awesome trails. Nicely done guys. Thanks!!!

Rob.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveSailR
    Just got back from a GREAT day up there. It's all true. 2 awesome trails. Nicely done guys. Thanks!!!

Rob.
    Hey all, I just got back after being gone for a few months...so I read this right: its open every fri-sat-sun from 12-8 for 29 bucks?? So this friday (30th...and so on) it will be open?? See you there if thats so and THANKS!!!

Jul 2004

Alyeska

Hey Warren, my name is John Hundley and i am gonna come up and check out the trails this weekend. Gary Howell is my xc coach and he told me to check it out on sunday when all the ak ryders will be there. When i come i'll introduce myself and maybe we can ride together. My # is 745-2084. Also if anyone else wants to ride, i go with my friends urban riding fairly often in the evenings around anchorage, eagle river, palmer and wasilla, So if you wanna join, gimme a call or email me at [email protected].

Aug 2004
    hey guys im david im new to here lol but anyways im in anchorage and i ride an 04 P3. but yeah i have been up to aly 3 times so far and i think its pretty ill even though im on a hardtail. i dont think it isnt TOO bad on a hardtail. hey warren whats up this is the david taht was with kevin on the yeti. yeah ill be up there next weekend hopefully on saturday.

lates - david