RIde the rivers- Mtbr.com

Thread: RIde the rivers

Bill M

RIde the rivers

This weekend Kathi and I rode out from Point Mackenzie to Luce's Lodge on the Yentna River. The trail to Flathorn Lake was hard and fast with a bit of ice on the swamps. Flathorn Lake is a giant skating rink and fun to ride. The Susitna is frozen bank to bank all the way to the confluence with the Yentna. Conditions on the Yentna are good with a well marked trail put in by the Lower Susitna Drainage Association.The warm weather and rain we all cursed and the cool spell that followed makes river riding super right now. By the time we rode back the Aurora Lions had marked a trail from the confluence down river to the Flathorn Trail. The marked trail is a bit longer but provides a safe route with good riding.
    Happy Trails
    Bill M

Caveman
    Hey Bill
    Adam and I were following your tracks, We got a late start saturday and rode up the Yetna quite a ways till we could see the rotating light. Found a trail eading east and cruised along that and eventually bivied close to midnight. Sunday we got spat out on Crooked lake then over to Big lake and made a big loop out of it mostly by riding some roads back to Knik. You're right- conditions were fast and awesome.
    Cheers
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beware of Doggerel

crowded out there

Man it was great out there this weekend. Eric, I was hoping you would post some of those pictures. I didn't bring a camera but luckily you were snapping away.

The rivers late at night were perfect. It was cold, fast, quiet and full of stars. I was really surprised how well the trail was marked going up river. We cut into the woods after melting snow for water on one of the banks and then followed an easterly snow machine trial through the woods, bivyed, and kept going until we got spit out on crooked lake the next morning. Then as Eric said crossed big lake and took roads back. It was a good loop. The road section wasn't bad at all because for a good portion of the "road" ride we were on snowmachine trails on the side of the road. Great ride and a great gear test. Some of those sections on the Yentna were so smooth I was looking for the zamboni!

Adam

Caveman

mas photos

Adam is such a morning person...

Bill M

Hot Mopping

Eric and Adam,
    I think Kathi and I saw you riding alongside Knik Goosebay Road on our way home and wondered who the crazy bikers were riding in the snow. Did you guys ride up and back down the Yentna before you took the trail headed east? If so it sounds like the Cranford Trail. Mostly straight with some short steep climbs? If you were on the Cranford when you crossed the Little Su you can turn right and head downstream 3 1/2 miles where you will hit the Iditarod Trail. A left there will take you back to Knik. Nice loop without the road. Kathi and I were hotmopping the trail on the rivers so you would have a nice ride.
    Ciao
    Bill

Caveman
    Since you'll be Hot mopping and all, maybe I'll put some skates in the finger lake drop bag. Maybe a quick game of pick-up?
    Yep we took the Cranford trail back, there is a huge sign along the way.
    I felt like a real Wasilla local heading along side the road like that, It would have been great with an extend stay at Call of the wild and a few in me.

This place needs an enema

Awwww mannnn

I was just thinking I had it made riding around here (see photos) and then you post THIS. Can't a guy enjoy his home trails without thinking he has to go somewhere else to get 'the good stuff"...

OK, just kiddin'...

Looks like fun. Eric, were you able to sleep that night, or did Ad-Rock keep you up with a constant barrage of really low-brow jokes?

See you guys sometime in March.

MC

Jan 2004

Moab blows!!!!!

[QUOTE=mikesee]I was just thinking I had it made riding around here (see photos) and then you post THIS. Can't a guy enjoy his home trails without thinking he has to go somewhere else to get 'the good stuff"...MC

..........at least it did a couple weeks ago when it turned over my cargo trailer in the driveway. My bud says there were 107 mph gusts on the LaSals, and it carried pretty good speed into Spanish Valley judging by the carnage in our yard, he says.

Ken

Caveman

March

Mike, why would you want to come up in March? There is all that damn daylight then and its warmer. What was that guy wearing? I've heard of them before. I think they are called shorts..?

15 below last night riding around hillside, did some fun bike running on my way home with my not so dialed sock combo...