"Ride For Life"- Mtbr.com

Thread: "Ride For Life"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

"Ride For Life"

My father-in-law wants me to do the Ride For Life that starts here in Anchorage and ends in Seward. As I don't own a road bike and may not be able to get my hands on one would riding my mountain bike with some road style tires be suffice or will I end up killing myself?? I've got one month to get in shape for this. What do you think??

Mike

Raubgee

May be worth renting

If there are any places to rent a nice road bike here (Maybe Paramount?). I've never looked in Anchorage, cause I was never in need. But every time I go to Hawaii I rent a road bike and it works out nicely.

Maybe throw some slicks on the mtb to train and rent a roadbike with a compact chainring setup. Or dive in nuts first and shave all your body hair off, get a second mortgage and get a carbon fiber-titanium-bamboo-ducati without an engine. Either way, best of luck to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What is meant by compact chainring set-up??

Raubgee

Smaller chainrings

It's a fancy way to say smaller rings without the other roadies laughing at you. "Normal" ring sizes on a double front setup is usally around 53 and 39 teeth while the "compact" sizes are about 50 and 36 teeth. Better for hill climbing too - unless you have a triple ring setup in the front, then this whole compact crap is pointless. But road cyclists usually don't want anything to do with a triple ring unless they are touring (three rings means more weight).

Compact also refers to the bolt pattern holding the chainrings since they too are a smaller diameter than the normal road crank.

Hope I didn't make you fall asleep.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raubgee
    Hope I didn't make you fall asleep.
    pretty darn close!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Got it...less weight....easier climbing. Hehehehe!!

Mike

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

raubtheknob

***Yawn*** sorry I just woke up from a nap after reading that other post.

I'm not a "compact-ring needin' nancy boy" like raubgee . I rode my (drop-bar) touring bike down there with MTB gearing, heavy 28c tires and two full panniers. I had great weather (tailwinds down the arm) and sun! I broke it up into 2 days with about 13 hours on the road. It would have been about 12 if I hadn't take a bunch of stops for pictures/snacks.

I think a headwind plus an upright MTB handlebar for 120 miles could take it out of ya. Definately get slicks. I once rode a 50 mile, windy, rainy, hilly charity ride on a single speed mtb with riser bars & 2.3 Continental Vertical Pros and it was sucky to the max.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the heads up Dave. My father-in-law brought over some Kendas that are slick in the middle and a little knobby on the edges. They are the same one that Manny has. I think they should be fine. I'm fat and out of shape so no matter what I do it's going to hurt. I just want it to hurt a little less and prove to myself that I can do this. Hehehehe!!!!

Mike

P.S. Congrats on getting Arctic Warrior of the week two weeks ago. Classic quote about grabbing a handful of brake at the 24 hrs of Kincaid a couple years back.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Heh, thanks. I'm getting tired of signing autographs though!

Good luck on your ride...just keep repeating the "Fit to Fight" mantra, haha!

Members who have read this thread: 0