Resurrection pass trail hope to cooper- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Resurrection pass trail hope to cooper

My father and I will be doing this trip at the end of this month. We are planning on taking the weekend to do it just to have some fun outdoors and not hammer it. The cabins along the route all show booked but are multiple person sleep 8+ cabins. Has anyone here that has done this had luck sharing a cabin if the weather sucks? We are camping gear anyway but if getting out of the weather is an option that would be cool. I would imagine this time of year it isn't large tourist groups that have booked the cabins but who knows. Just looking for advice from those that have done it. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Got rained out hard once while backpacking... occupants of cabin said Sure, C'mon in... Next morning we learned they were squatting, too. Dunno where the proper occupants were...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I mean there, on Rez trail, but I don't recall which cabin.

Bikes are good
    They'd be kinda jerks not to let you in, but quite a big imposition really. They reserve the cabins well in advance and pay to do so. If it was me at the cabin I reserved so I could chill with my wife in the mountains on a trip, I'd probably tell you to go away. She'd say you can stay, then I'd be irritated at you for staying and that would be awkward.

I think it depends on whose doors you are knocking on though honestly. Good luck. The world is full of nicer people than me.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

sluice box
    I say bring a big wad of cash or a big bag of ......
    The cabins go for $35-45 bucks a night and many people sit at their trying to book certain date’s months ahead of the trip. Like others said they may just want privacy in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So you ask folks if it's ok to show up at rented cabins. I read this a few days ago and waited for the posts to pile up as I thought this would get people's attention. Elfbkr50's post really provided the answer to your question. He described how things could go if you showed up while he was renting a cabin. My guess is that many, if not most, people would feel this way. If this is true, you're asking if it's ok to chance spoiling someone's stay at a cabin that they had the foresight to plan for, pay for. You have no idea how important a visit to a quiet cabin can be for someone. Maybe they really needed a break from dealing with the kind of people that can make life trying at times. Please reconsider this as a fallback plan. tony

mtbr member

I totally agree with what has been said. I actually found a cabin for the first night just to check out mostly. I agree the point of getting away is getting away since that is what we are doing. However weather can be extreme and I have been on both ends in the middle of Alaska. Was mostly just asking in case of emergency or extreme need not we didn't bring anything but a 4 season tent without a fly and we are soaked kinda reason. We travel well prepared.

Elitest thrill junkie
    So bring a rain fly? Seems logical if the weather is predicted to be rainy over the next week. I think "emergency" means pretty much "anything goes", just like it does for us pilots, but the real issue is did you put yourself in that emergency, or could it have been reasonably avoided. Plan on being self supported. Don't plan on a volcano erupting in the middle of the Peninsula, but rainy days happen frequently, so it would be logical to plan for those.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Even with a rented cabin I still carry a tent for emergency purposes. Always be prepared and be self-sufficient in the backcountry. I wouldn't want to share my cabin and I wouldn't ask to impose. I'm already planning on sitting at the computer in December/January to book some cabins on these trails. You can only book out 6-months in advance and they go fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I asked my wife to recall our cabin squat. She said we had out tents set up. Our clothes were already soaked. A member of our party went to the cabin that had a fire lit, asked, Can we hang some wet clothes in here to dry by your fire? They said, sure, but heck just come on in, sleep here.