Resurrection Pass trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Resurrection Pass trail

Did a family trip to Seward from Kenai Friday, & took the bikes along. Did the bike trail & city riding thing with the kids in Seward, & then stopped by the Resurrection Pass trail(Cooper landing end) on the way home. I grabbed my bike & headed up the trail just before 9 pm., figuring I'd get mudded out shortly. I actually made it 2.5 miles up before I started hitting any serious mud(any before then could be ridden around or thru without trail damage), & still didn't hit any snow or ice spots.
    I've been off the bike for two years, & just started again two weeks ago, & have't ridden any singletrack for almost three years, & I have to say, it was a blast. It also reminded me that I'm still 25# heavier than in my "serious" riding days. I managed to eek out an average of about 4.5 mph on the climb, somewhere around 600+' of elevation gain.
    The trip down was a blast. By the time I was getting close to the bottom I felt like I was starting to work with the bike again.
    So if you want a nice little climb, that part of the trail is waithing for you. You can probably go further without trail damage, but my family was fending off skeeters waiting for me at the bottom so I needed to get back.
    Vance in AK.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Don't ride around......

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK.
    Did a family trip to Seward from Kenai Friday, & took the bikes along. Did the bike trail & city riding thing with the kids in Seward, & then stopped by the Resurrection Pass trail(Cooper landing end) on the way home. I grabbed my bike & headed up the trail just before 9 pm., figuring I'd get mudded out shortly. I actually made it 2.5 miles up before I started hitting any serious mud(any before then could be ridden around or thru without trail damage), & still didn't hit any snow or ice spots.
    I've been off the bike for two years, & just started again two weeks ago, & have't ridden any singletrack for almost three years, & I have to say, it was a blast. It also reminded me that I'm still 25# heavier than in my "serious" riding days. I managed to eek out an average of about 4.5 mph on the climb, somewhere around 600+' of elevation gain.
    The trip down was a blast. By the time I was getting close to the bottom I felt like I was starting to work with the bike again.
    So if you want a nice little climb, that part of the trail is waithing for you. You can probably go further without trail damage, but my family was fending off skeeters waiting for me at the bottom so I needed to get back.
    First off, the trails are offically closed now. It is debatable when they actually open. Some say June 1st and others say July 1st. If you ride around mud, you start widening the trail, not good.
    Be patient "grasshopper" and the trails will be great!!!!!!!
    This was not ment to be a rant, just some info!

Welcome back to mtbing,
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    First off, the trails are offically closed now. It is debatable when they actually open. Some say June 1st and others say July 1st. If you ride around mud, you start widening the trail, not good.

Welcome back to mtbing,
    Dave

Thanks for the info & the welcome Dave. I guess I was "misinformed". I had been told that there was no "official opening date, but that the FS was "recomending" July 1 although it was not officialy a rule. I looked for closure signs & saw none, but have to admit that I didn't read every one of the approx(just a guess) 20+ papers posted on all the sign boards. Kind of hard to sift thru all the info.
    When I say "ride around" the mud, I mean staying within the limits of the trail so I don't widen, but riding around the inevitable low spots in the center. The areas I can't do that I get off & walk while pushing the bike in the trail. I don't want roads out there either ;-)
    Again, thanks for the heads up on my mistake, & I'll check more closely next time.
    Trust me, I don't take it as a rant.
    Vance in AK.

Beware of Doggerel

Options

Vance if your looking for rides around the Rez area there is a logging/mining road just about 100 yards from the parking lot. It has a forest service gate a little ways in. Ride that until the trails dry. It goes up to an old mine then wanders around. I've seen trucks and bulldozers on that road so don't worry about mud. But as Dave said stay off the "big" trails until they dry out. I went up rez on foot a few weeks ago and it was all snow and mud from the falls on (about 4 miles in) not anything you want to bike.

Welcome and hope we can meet and get some rides in this summer.
    Adam

Thanks for the info & the welcome Dave. I guess I was "misinformed". I had been told that there was no "official opening date, but that the FS was "recomending" July 1 although it was not officialy a rule. I looked for closure signs & saw none, but have to admit that I didn't read every one of the approx(just a guess) 20+ papers posted on all the sign boards. Kind of hard to sift thru all the info.
    When I say "ride around" the mud, I mean staying within the limits of the trail so I don't widen, but riding around the inevitable low spots in the center. The areas I can't do that I get off & walk while pushing the bike in the trail. I don't want roads out there either ;-)
    Again, thanks for the heads up on my mistake, & I'll check more closely next time.

mtbr member

Good job! Ya know Vance......

I don't know what is official either. It depends on whom you ask. When you get to ride those trails, you will see what damage has been done. After riding in that area for many years I can see the diff.
    See ya on the trails!!!!!
    Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Adam.
    Is that road about 100 yds on the Soldotna side of the trail turnoff? If so I've seen it, but for some reason assumed that it didn't go far. How far up can you go, & is there some decent climbing. There's not really many areas around here where you can get any long climbs in to start getting the legs & lungs built back up.
    Before I started I had no thought of getting as far as the falls, & wouldn't have been suprised not to have made it much past the first creek crossing. It was a lot drier than I had figured.
    I'm out of shape & probably only somewhere between beginner & intermediate as far as skills go, but I would love to hook up with a few folks that would put up with me & get some rides in this summer.
    Vance in AK.

Wood chips are stupid

Hope end

Thanks Adam.
    Is that road about 100 yds on the Soldotna side of the trail turnoff? If so I've seen it, but for some reason assumed that it didn't go far. How far up can you go, & is there some decent climbing. There's not really many areas around here where you can get any long climbs in to start getting the legs & lungs built back up.
    Before I started I had no thought of getting as far as the falls, & wouldn't have been suprised not to have made it much past the first creek crossing. It was a lot drier than I had figured.
    I'm out of shape & probably only somewhere between beginner & intermediate as far as skills go, but I would love to hook up with a few folks that would put up with me & get some rides in this summer.
    Vance,
    The trail Adam was talking about is at the Hope end. It is called Palmer Mine road I think. It should be ok now. Not much of a singletrack...but still a better ride than the road.

Happy Trails
    akdeluxe

mtbr member

Good job! Randy and I rode that......

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    Vance,
    The trail Adam was talking about is at the Hope end. It is called Palmer Mine road I think. It should be ok now. Not much of a singletrack...but still a better ride than the road.

Happy Trails
    akdeluxe
    Last year and it is very pretty....saw a black bear on that trip.

Dave (The Traveler)

Beware of Doggerel

Yep thats it Vance

I'm talking about a trial on the Cooper Landing side, not the Hope side. If you pull off into the open area where all the fishermen park and then go a little past (toward Soldotna) where you would turn into the Rez parking lot that is the trail I am talking about. You are right it looks like it goes nowhere. It is a steep climb that goes up for a few miles then comes to a T if you go right the trail peters out after a mile or so. It keeps going but gets fainter and fainter. If you go left the trail parallels the highway for a while. Last year there was a lot of logging or other work going on in this area lots of bulldozers mud and freshly cut road. I never went to the end I just went down it for a while then turned back the way I came. The road is on the USGS topos but not on the gazetter maps. Also the USGS only shows the road going off to the right not the left branch.
    I am wondering if there is a way to loop it up to the Rez trial.

Adam

Thanks Adam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks Adam, I'll give that one a try when I get a chance. Sounds like it's got a decent climb.
    Akdeluxe, I'm familiar with the road you are talking about. Great country, but a 40 mile longer drive to get there from Kenai.
    Hopefully the Skyview Highschool trails will be open soon. The cross country skiing packs the snow on the trails so they melt slowly. It's not singletrack, but atleast it's got some decent up & down & it's dirt. Would actually be a great place for a cc series like the Tues. night Kincaid series.
    Vance in AK.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Trails near Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    Vance,
    Just a quick clarification, its Palmer Creek Road, the same road that you go up to get on the Resurrection trail except that you go straight instead of turning right. Going from memory it then I think goes up like ?12? miles of climbing before you hit the campground and then it is a couple more miles from there to the mine. There are several 'singletrack trails' off the road on the way up but I have never explored them much, but see hikers and berry pickers all of the time.

I was out at Gull Rock Sunday and the trail was surprisingly very dry even though it was raining in a good chunk of Turnagain arm/pass. Only recall maybe 3 mud puddles. The trail was for the most part a blast, except for the part that a good chunk of the trail is hike and bike right now because of all of the large blown down trees. Maybe 10 in the first mile, then 2 miles of clear riding, then after the first avalanche runout the bank has slid away (taking the trail with it) and then you get into tree after tree after tree being blown down over the trail.

I didn't check out how much of the Palmer Creek road was open or had snow on it though while I was out there as I became a little crunched on time.

Christopher

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

We the people ... Trail Opening Dates

Welcome back to mtbing,
    Dave
    Vance/Dave

The dates actually vary by location, last summer I took photos of several of the very MTB specific informations signs located at each trailhead I went to. They are usually phrased in terms of weeks in a month, but Crecent I think is "First Week of June", Johnson "Second week of June", etc.

When I get home later tonight I will try to find some of them and maybe post an example. My favorite one though is still on the Russian Lakes trailhead off of Snug Harbor road that states something like "you think you may want to mountain bike this, but think again." in reference to the trail that runs to Seward from there. Also there are a couple "open to, but highly not recommended" trails I found fun.

Since Vance is from the Kenai, it would be good to point out that biking in the Kenai Wildlife Refuge is in general illegal according to their brochure and website. They occasionally open up certain trails for very narrow time frames if the conditions are right. Mystery Creek trail would be an example of one of these trails that sometimes opens in August.

As far as Anchorage trails, it was brought up at last nights meeting that the MOA trails are not "closed closed", but they would like want equestrians and mtn. bikers to stay off of trails that are still wet (like Rovers is a mudhole right now).

If a trail completely drys out before June 1st (which they are expecting this year) then you can start riding it. Viewpoint for example they said is near a point that unless we get rain this week would probably be open perhaps by this weekend.

Chugach State Park has truely closed there trails to horses and Mt. Bikes until they 'really' dry out because they are having a really wet and fast break-up and the trails are just muck.

I totally agree though with Dave though, be patient the mountain season is quickly approaching. Perfect time to just get out there on your road bike (or with slicks) and get some good miles in and get back into shape!

Christopher

Ologist
    I don't know what is official either. It depends on whom you ask. When you get to ride those trails, you will see what damage has been done. After riding in that area for many years I can see the diff.
    See ya on the trails!!!!!
    Dave
    Actually, if you call the USFS they will tell you that the trails are not officially closed and they don't have an official opening date. They do encourage common sense and respect for the trails, but there will be horses beating up those trails long before bikes make their first traverse. Some of the State Park and Municipal trails have actual dates.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

We the people ... Trail Opening Dates, MOA -> State Park -> USFS -> BLM

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Actually, if you call the USFS they will tell you that the trails are not officially closed and they don't have an official opening date. They do encourage common sense and respect for the trails, but there will be horses beating up those trails long before bikes make their first traverse. Some of the State Park and Municipal trails have actual dates.
    The same actually applies for Muni trails, and the dates you are seeing around town are implied soft dates to try to be mindful of the trails. The parks guy at the meeting last night side they have nothing on the books giving them the ability to 'hard close' trails to users, so they can only strongly advise it through signage and education.

Interesting on the Chugach USFS, as they clearly close the trails to other things at specific times. I also know there was a couple trails I very specifically travelled to the Kenai to do last year and they had Chugach USFS signs saying temporarily closed to Mt. Bikes and Horses on them because of wet conditions. I might give them a ring in the morning. Interesting use statistics from last year (2004), they actually look at them. Just make sure you sign in at the trail head whenever you go as it determined funding/improvements.

Chugach State Park(who's ranger was also there) said they have the authority on the books to 'hard close' trails and can penalize for being on them.

BLM's website is currently offline, but I would like to see on their website their policy and official dates or how that works too. I would assume as a US government agency they like can 'hard close' trails at will or based on conditions.

It would be interesting to get clarifications on these things and I will try to get some clarifications.

Christopher
    Last edited by crsouser; 05-03-2005 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Fix Link

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Resurrection Trail

I was out at the old claim-resort a 1/4 mile up the road from the trailhead parking on the Hope side last week for a few days. I ran the old mining school there back in the early 70's, worked for the con man Tom Williams on the request of the family that owns the 18 patented acres to check him out in the 80's and spent a good part of the summers of 96'-97' there helping to build the resort and starting a bike guide-rental business. It's a favorte spot filled with memories including my first winter in a cabin back in 72'. I spent the first two days riding the road into Hope and on mining claims owned by an old friend. Last Fri. I went up the trail about 5-6 miles and it was in great shape. There were a few other bike tracks and yes there is some muddy spots (as always) but I could either ride the edge of the trail without damage or if the mud was bad just walk the bike around it. Even with the elevation gain the trail was snow free except a few spots. Amazing for this time of year. I'd guess the trail is ridable (without damage) at least a few miles further in. The worst section of trail was the short stretch between the trailhead parking and the suspension bridge at the resort. You can ride up to the cable-private property sign a little ways past the trailhead, cross that and go over the bridge, everyone does it, just don't go further back into the resort. That will get you past the muddy first section. By the way the little bike shop right next to the trail will be taken down, hopefully this summer. I don't want to incourage tearing up trails and if you walk the bike at the bad spots it shouldn't be a problem. I'm already planning a week long stay there in a month or so. tony