Recommended tires for downhill?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2006

Recommended tires for downhill?

I'm a pretty new mountain biker. I have a nice Jamis f/s setup and am an all-round rider. I am riding down from Powerline Pass yesterday, all the way to downtown Anchorage, and I realize that my decision to buy 1.9 tires based on how much they weigh was a mistake, because I'm locking up my rear wheel every time I come to something steep.

So, what's a good tire for braking control on downhills on the local trails?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, buying anything for downhill based on weight is an iffy proposition. I can't offer a whole lot of constructive advice except that for downhill/freeride, fatter is better. I think WTB makes some pretty decent downhill tires (Timberwolf). Many on here (myself included) use them for snaux tires but they are designed for downhill. If you're going to mix XC with downhill then maybe something a bit lighter like the Weirwolf. Again, I've never really looked into the downhill stuff so take it for what it's worth..not a whole lot.

Mr.Secret
    You could get a bazillion suggestions on this one but usually something with a pretty stiff casing and decent volume, probably nothing less than at least a 2.2......One tire though that comes to mind is the IRC Trail Bear in either a 2.25 or maybe the 2.5 version although the casing is a bit more cross country oriented but that makes them a bit more climb friendly. Cool tire.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I think he means riding downhill, not the gnar-kill-downhilling.

Do you have v-brakes or disc? A lot of it is brake modulation and shifting weight so you don't lock up. I would definately get a wider tire. I really like the WTB Weirwolfs. They replaced my previous favorite: Continental Vertical Pros.

If you are new to biking I would check out Ned Overend's book Mountain Bike Like a Champion. He has tons of awesome tips and if you read it you'll learn a lot of stuff. There is supposed to be a video out too, but I haven't viewed it yet.

s62
    mtbr member
    I actually do not like that book. After reading it, I bought and read Lopes' book, and to me, it's 1000 times better. Ah well.
    Yes, Weirwolf tires are excellent, Panaracer's are good, my Hutchinson Spyders aren't bad... Really, anything will be better from where you stand. 1.9 is skinny. Go for 2.3 or 2.5. Mutano's are good as well.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I think he means riding downhill, not the gnar-kill-downhilling.

Do you have v-brakes or disc? A lot of it is brake modulation and shifting weight so you don't lock up. I would definately get a wider tire. I really like the WTB Weirwolfs. They replaced my previous favorite: Continental Vertical Pros.

If you are new to biking I would check out Ned Overend's book Mountain Bike Like a Champion. He has tons of awesome tips and if you read it you'll learn a lot of stuff. There is supposed to be a video out too, but I haven't viewed it yet.
    That's why I mentioned the Trail Bear............
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    I actually do not like that book. After reading it, I bought and read Lopes' book, and to me, it's 1000 times better.
    I'll have to check that one out!

Ologist
    2.5s are awfully big for trail riding and all mountain around here. Depending on your build 2.3s are a good compromise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My personal favorite is WTB's Moto Raptor. Seems to do exceptionally well in soft dirt and mud.

Members who have read this thread: 0