Rear hubs on the Fatback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear hubs on the Fatback

What 165mm hub are people using on the Fatback?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Hadley and DT Swiss

Ologist
    Just got my wheel build last night - it is a Hadley.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

This place needs an enema
    You can also use the Chris King 160 universal disc hub. 32 or 36h in all of the King colors. Building a set in Mango laced to 100mm rims for a customer this weekend.

Phat!

mtbr member
    Sooooooooo, out of curiosity, why are the calling the rear DO spacing on the FatBack 165mm? Typo? Outside to outside? Or, are they adding some phunky machined spacer?
    If its set up for 150 hubs, why not 155mm spacing with the 2.5mm either side for ease of access? Its driving me crazy i tell ya!
    Is the Fatback using standard 10mm DO slots and a QR, or a through axle?
    Last edited by klondikebike; 10-31-2008 at 10:54 PM.

is buachail foighneach me
    qr i believe, and they're 165. special order from hadley i believe.

Ologist
    I thought the Hadley 165 were custom and the King needs a spacer?

I was originally going to go with the mango kings with mango headset - please post apic when you are finished.

mtbr member
    Having to custom order a hub is going to limit your choices obviously. For the sake of 5mm, the CK tandem rear at 160 looks like the way to go. Had a look at DT Swiss, and they only do up to 150mm.
    Is anyone running one of these beauty's? Looks like a far better way to go that the offset Surly IMHO.

Ologist
    I dont think they make the dt 165 anymore. Speedway has a few available but they are spendy.

mtbr member
    I think the Speedway crew has done a great job on the FatBack, but to the guys running them, or Pugs etc, is there anything you guys can think of that you would like to see different, improved, added?
    Originally, i was going to build up an offset rear end like the Pugs, even turned up a custom offset rear drop out spacer for the Anvil jig, but with the advent of 150mm and greater rear hubs, the offset rear end seems to be a lot of extra work for no gain.
    Should have it built by the end of November.

@adelorenzo
    My random thoughts:

Personally, I don't like the Pugs offset at all, I think it is kind of an ugly kludge, especially for those of us who aren't running a rear cassette. I like dishless wheels, but when I take a dishless hub and have to build up a dished wheel because of the offset. In a perfect world for me, I would run a non-offset 135 mm frame and fork with my Shimano Alfine hub, if it were possible to have enough clearance from the tire.

Ditto on the BB. Running a narrower BB would be a HUGE plus for me, even at 6'6" I find the wide stance of the BB to be akward. Even an 83 mm would be better than 100, but again, with a singlespeed or internal hub setup I wonder if you could get away with 73 mm.

Personally, I would go with a 83 mm BB and then run 3-piece cranks like Profile Racing that let you fine-tune your crankarm position pretty well.

Is it possible to get by with a 150 mm rear end, or does it have to be 165? Seems like there are some nice hub choices at 150. King, Shimano Saint, Azonic, Syncros... Even Phil Wood tandem/disc hubs at 145.

Running the same OLD front and rear is a nice feature at 135, but not sure I would want to do it at 150 or 165. Like I said, in my perfect internally-geared world a frame would have 135 non-offset front and rear.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Since I have such a wish-list, maybe I'll have to talk to you about an upgrade for my Pugs.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure i'll be building the fork around a Paul Whub, it looks like THE way to go.

No, that's not phonetic
    If you need a black Paul Word SS 135mm hub, I have a nearly brand new one I would let go cheap.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0