Ready or not...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ready or not...

mtbr member

Ready or not...

I am going to be living in Anchorage this summer, doing a little internship downtown. i just wanted to say hello to all those in the area. i have a few questions as well.

what do you all think is the best way for me to get my bike out with me? i am going to be flying from boston to denver to spend a few days there, then to anchorage. i was think about either packing it up and shipping it via USPS or UPS, or taking it along with on the plane. the problem with the plane idea is that with the stop over in denver, i am going to have to pay the extra piece and oversize charge twice. the problem with shipping is that UPS's website tells me that the only way to ship is air, so it is going to be about $150.

does any know of the most economical way for me to get my humble ride to AK considering the extra stop in denver?

after looking at all the pictures you guys have posted of the riding in the area, i cant wait. although i am starting to think that i shouldnt have gotten rid of my geared bike.

thanks for the help and i hope to put in a few miles with you guys this summer.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

shipping

try sportsexpress.com or sportexpress.com.
    please stop by pat's bikes,(Pat Irwin) king of the Anchorage 29r single speeds

Quote Originally Posted by bostonnewbie
    I am going to be living in Anchorage this summer, doing a little internship downtown. i just wanted to say hello to all those in the area. i have a few questions as well.

what do you all think is the best way for me to get my bike out with me? i am going to be flying from boston to denver to spend a few days there, then to anchorage. i was think about either packing it up and shipping it via USPS or UPS, or taking it along with on the plane. the problem with the plane idea is that with the stop over in denver, i am going to have to pay the extra piece and oversize charge twice. the problem with shipping is that UPS's website tells me that the only way to ship is air, so it is going to be about $150.

does any know of the most economical way for me to get my humble ride to AK considering the extra stop in denver?

after looking at all the pictures you guys have posted of the riding in the area, i cant wait. although i am starting to think that i shouldnt have gotten rid of my geared bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

shipping deal

Quote Originally Posted by bostonnewbie

Yea, sportsexpress.com should be the best deal for you. You can ship to my shop if you don't have an address yet. Lemme know, Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Yea, sportsexpress.com should be the best deal for you. You can ship to my shop if you don't have an address yet. Lemme know, Pat

Thanks Pat, i may take you up on that offer. after looking at sportsexpress.com (quoted $144), i am starting to think that shipping my fairly stock monocog might not be worth it. i guess i am going to have to do some cost vs fun analysis before i make the final decision.

i will be in touch about shipping if i need a place to have it shipped to.

thanks for the help.

Beware of Doggerel

Hey Bostonnewbie

Sports express is strange that way I just shipped two bikes to NY for 65 per bike but they want 144 to get them back to AK. I'm not sure how I'm going to get them back going to have to be creative. The good news is the trip back will be much cheaper. Whatever you do don't come to Alaska without a bike. When I first came to Alaska I didn't have a car this is an easy town to get around via bike.

Doing an intership? downtown? from Boston? Hmm you wouldn't be going to Northeastern would you? Maybe even Northeastern Law School? Let me know if you need help finding housing or riding or anything, my wife and I both first came to Alaska working summer internships then we came back to stay.

I'm going to be out of town from May 1-16 (Actually I'll be in Boston for a week or so during that time) but after that get in touch for some riding.

Adam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Sports express is strange that way I just shipped two bikes to NY for 65 per bike but they want 144 to get them back to AK. I'm not sure how I'm going to get them back going to have to be creative. The good news is the trip back will be much cheaper. Whatever you do don't come to Alaska without a bike. When I first came to Alaska I didn't have a car this is an easy town to get around via bike.

Doing an intership? downtown? from Boston? Hmm you wouldn't be going to Northeastern would you? Maybe even Northeastern Law School? Let me know if you need help finding housing or riding or anything, my wife and I both first came to Alaska working summer internships then we came back to stay.

I'm going to be out of town from May 1-16 (Actually I'll be in Boston for a week or so during that time) but after that get in touch for some riding.

Adam

You hit the nail on the head with that one. i am just finishing up my second year at northeastern law school. i am working at a firm downtown. Did you go to Northeastern yourself?

i am going to be getting into Anchorage on the 29th of May. i think that i have located a place to stay. it is a furnished place in midtown. my girlfriend is going to be coming with me as well and was asking me about her bike tonight, if i was going to get her bike out there as well. we will see if ship two bikes or just one.

i will definintly get in touch when i get into town for some rides.

thanks for the advise and help

mtbr member
    Pat- is it still alright if i ship my bike to your shop. i dont have an address in town yet that i can ship to.

if so, let me know.

thanks,
    Daniel

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Have you looked into just plain old FedEx? I recently shipped a 28 pound bike to Florida and it ran about $90 with insurance. Just make sure you pack it really well. Good Luck!

Beware of Doggerel

Hey Bostonnewbie

Just got back from two weeks on the east coast a good chunk of it spent in your lovely city. Man, that place is just crawling with cool single speeds and fixed gear bikes.

My wife went to Northeastern, as did about 1/2 the lawyers in this town, including the Chief Justice of our Supreme Court, but I'm sure you know that. Anchorage is sort of NorthwesternNortheastern for lawyers and interns. Get in touch when you are in town, for some rides.

Adam