Rant- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rant

mtbr member

Rant

Okay I just can't hold it in any longer. I am exceedingly frustrated, nay, PISSED at the insensitive aholes poaching the freshly hand tooled Kincaid Singletrack. A lot of people have spent a lot of time on their hands and knees in the dirt to put the finishing touches on the new trail system only to have groups of 2 to 5 mt. bikers tear up the soft tread and break down the banked turns that are not yet 'set.' These trails are not finished! They are fragile and are not ready to ride! Of course no one on this forum would ever do such a thing--but please, if you know others who are so inclined, please "educate" them that 4-foot high bright orange fencing and 'TRAIL CLOSED' signs mean that perhaps they should stay out an instead take up a McLeod and a pair of loppers to join us to help build the trails rather than shred them apart.

There. I feel better.

Queen Bee

Wood chips are stupid

Enemy within

Queen Bee,
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it is someone who uses this forum.
    I can see them right now. Punks.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Haha! Really, though, people who use the forum at least take the time to research biking and know what's what. The poachers are most likely trail users who think that trails just magically appear.

Wood chips are stupid

No off switch for stupid

Too bad said chowderheads are unable to understand trails can magically disappear because of poaching. By the way,you suck just as much if you build trails without permission. That is just as damaging as poaching.
    Feedback?

akdeluxe

JT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I thought riding them when they are wet helps them break in, like hiking boots?

mtbr member
    ...take some STA funds and bribe a couple paintball junkies with red-bulls to ensure the trails remain chaste...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    ...take some STA funds and bribe a couple paintball junkies with red-bulls to ensure the trails remain chaste...

good one

JT

Bikes are good
    It would be real funny if someone comes ripping on them while we work on it tonight. I have a big set of loppers.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    It's actually happened twice. The crew leaders who caught them were far too kind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It would be more fun if they poached on a day when chainsaws were in use!

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    I think a machette would be a little more primal..... Glad for all of your hard work...... Unfortunately the choices of a few affect the whole..........

mtbr member
    I second that! THANK YOU! I'm hopefully moving back to ANC soon and am really looking forward to experiencing the fruits of your labors.

-edit- Oh, and looking forward to pitchin-in when able.
    Last edited by damnitman; 08-19-2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: because I can

Turner's are fast
    Aug 2011

Oh Please

Little low on sugar, QB? You have half the Jodphur Loop torn up with your flagging, closing off trails some of us have been riding for years, and you have the nerve to complain about us? A little extra packing down isn't going to hurt a mb trail, unless you keep trying to make them rival one of the cross country trails in the park. Leave a few rocks and logs, will you? If we wanted to ride on carpet we'd ride in the Dome!

mtbr member
    Pretty funny. Got caught and now you're sore about it? If we find any rocks (and we haven't) you can be sure we'd leave them in. We're not blocking off any existing trails just trying to block off what's new and not yet ready. The trails will grow in next summer. The Hillside Trails were just as wide when we made them 3 years ago and now they're pretty narrow. Stick to the trails you've been riding and enjoying for years. Riding the new trails is an optional experience.

mtbr member
    Hi, my name
    Is Ryan. I put up the orange barrier fencing across the new trails. If I have inadvertently closed off a trail that you have been riding for years please give me call. 907-301-1248 I would be happy to go out there with you and remedy the situation. Please keep in mind that our fencing is orange and not the blue metal fencing that the NSAA or the municipity is putting up to close off the ski trails while work is being done.
    litespeed's break

Wood chips are stupid

Get back?

Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Hi, my name
    Is Ryan. I put up the orange barrier fencing across the new trails. If I have inadvertently closed off a trail that you have been riding for years please give me call. 907-301-1248 I would be happy to go out there with you and remedy the situation. Please keep in mind that our fencing is orange and not the blue metal fencing that the NSAA or the municipity is putting up to close off the ski trails while work is being done.

Ryan,
    Have they called yet?

akdeluxe

JT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe View Post
    Ryan,
    Have they called yet?

akdeluxe
    not yet
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Don't be so emotional.

Wood chips are stupid

Lighten up?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailzking View Post
    Don't be so emotional.
    Yeah,smoke more pot.

akdeluxe

JT

Diaskeuast
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma View Post
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma View Post
    Very well said. Thank you.

Turner's are fast
    Aug 2011

Wink My oh My

Guy can't even go to work for a few days without Tim getting his riding panties all in a bunch.

Thank you Ryan for the offer to show you around the Jodphur Loop, but I will decline in favor of the Chugach.

Technically, QB is right that she is not taking over an existing trail, but fails to note that several existing trails are bisected by the new trails. Check out the area near Roller Coaster to find them, but you might have to ride a part of the new trail system to do so. That is how I ended up on a section of the new trail. No gates, no flags, just a new trail crossing the one I was on. I liked what I saw and rode on the dry dirt until I intersected the ski trail, at which time I departed the new trail. And no, you will not find the old single track by following a sign, you just have to be willing to push into the unknown and deal with what you find. Occasionally, you'll end up where you don't belong, and when you try to give a good natured poke on the trail condition to a person you both respect and admire, you'll be called names by sanctimonious *******'s like Tim, or others like him

Whatever, I realize he means well. Hopefully his riding skills are better than his communication skills.

Speaking of such, how's that new FS Motiv working out for you, Tim?

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Turner Guy View Post
    Hopefully his riding skills are better than his communication skills.
    Oh, crap, I wasn't clear? I tried to avoid words with more than four letters.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    All of the new trails are south of the Kincaid Park road. Roller Coaster is north of the road. There are all kinds of unauthorized new trails in the Roller Coaster vicinity that weren't made by STA.

mtbr member
    I'd be frustrated too...if people were riding horses out there

mtbr member
    I'd be frustrated too...if people were intentionally vandalizing trails, not using them for their intended purpose.

Turner's are fast
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Sorry QB

I was thinking of the area between 4 Corners and The Wall and wrote Roller Coaster. There are numerous trails in there that dump you onto new trail. The orange gates are only at the major intersections. My point being folks can be ending up on the new trail because that is where their single track led them. They aren't necessarily being malicious, something that seems to have escaped Timmy, who has yet to put on his big boy riding pants.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Turner Guy what axe are you trying to grind? Have you ridden the STA trails on the hillside? They are great trails. The Kincaid trails will be just as good(if not better) I know/trust that QB, crew and VOLUNTEERS are are working hard doing an excellent job. Minor inconvenience for this summer = huge payoff in the future. Sounds like you made a mistake and rode a new trail, your fault or not, apologize and don't do it again.

Wood chips are stupid

open eyes

I was thinking of the area between 4 Corners and The Wall and wrote Roller Coaster. There are numerous trails in there that dump you onto new trail. The orange gates are only at the major intersections. My point being folks can be ending up on the new trail because that is where their single track led them. They aren't necessarily being malicious, something that seems to have escaped Timmy, who has yet to put on his big boy riding pants.
    New trail looks like new dirt. Old trail looks like old dirt. New trail you have never ridden. Old trail you have enjoyed for years.
    You know when you are talking to a Turner owner. They always tell you.

akdeluxe

JT

mtbr member
    I am trying to keep up with the trail builder as far as getting the orange fencing up. That being said every place the new STA trail crosses an existing trail, ski trail, or single track, is marked with yellow caution tape crossing the new trail. There is also sinage that says do not enter, construction in progress. It is unmistakable.
    litespeed's break

Turner's are fast
    Aug 2011

Upset Then somebody's taking down the yellow tape

check out the area near light pole 21. At least two old single tracks end up on the new dirt with no warnings at all. Most folks who ride Kincaid do not read this blog, nor are they aware that new trails are being built.

Bikes are good

Yo

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC AK View Post
    Turner Guy what axe are you trying to grind? Have you ridden the STA trails on the hillside? They are great trails. The Kincaid trails will be just as good(if not better) I know/trust that QB, crew and VOLUNTEERS are are working hard doing an excellent job. Minor inconvenience for this summer = huge payoff in the future. Sounds like you made a mistake and rode a new trail, your fault or not, apologize and don't do it again.
    Enough said then. I think people felt like you were taking a piss on their hard work, and didn't care about rallying muddy trails (Like when you said leaving ruts on new trails doesn't hurt them, I think that pissed people off.) I'm a real confrontational kind of dude, so I get that you plugged an instigative thread on here, people got pissed, and instead of saying "Yep, my bad." You dug yourself a hole and told everyone involved to f-off, more or less. The link to that blog was definitely more wood for the fire, but in this case Turner friend, you need to chill. Ayight?

mtbr member
    check out the area near light pole 21. At least two old single tracks end up on the new dirt with no warnings at all. Most folks who ride Kincaid do not read this blog, nor are they aware that new trails are being built.
    Ok, thanks TG, I will
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Just call the cops already!

Before it's too late!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailzjester View Post

Before it's too late!!
    Was that at Alyeska Sunday?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ^^ nah, it's where these guys ride

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Let's keep it clean folks, a couple dirty pictures will ruin this place.

mtbr member

Name:  iggy.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  2.7 KB

...yes...that's Iggy.
    Last edited by damnitman; 08-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Bikes are good
    I think I saw those guys on the hillside a few weeks ago. They had really nice legs.

Cycling for Life
    Having checked in here once in a while I am aware of the trail poaching on the new trails, but honestly, it doesn’t surprise me the least bit. Those who donate and build continue to do so and - well, you know.
    Due to a conflicting work schedule and because nobody else wants to do trail work on the weekends I havent made it out to join in the ‘work parties’ in quite some time. So I took a couple hours today and went out and walked several miles of the new trails and for the most part am pretty impressed. There has been a lot of work done and this is going to be a fantastic network when open. I fixed more than one of the barricades that had been torn down, maybe by moose, maybe not.

The only trail vandal I ran into wasn’t rolling on tires at all and my attempts in educating him on proper 'New Trail Etiquette' went pretty much in one ear and out the other (typical teenager).

So thanks to all those out there getting dirty when they can. And I can wait until they are officially opened to go ride, but I do hope that is soon!
    Last edited by Ak_Dan; 08-27-2011 at 07:37 PM.