Rainy Pass - Dalzell Push- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Rainy Pass - Dalzell Push

My favorite day of the Ultrasport was without a doubt pushing from Puntilla Lake over Rainy Pass, then dropping down into the Dalzell Valley and finishing in Rohn 18 hours later. Nine of us left between 12:35am and 4:15am, with Jacques and I pulling up the rear.

Although trail reports suggested a broken trail all the way into Rohn, we eventually caught the seven racers in front of us stacked up behind three trailbreaker snowmachines trying to head down into the Dalzell Gorge about 3pm. After waiting several hours for them to go a few hundred yards, it quickly became apparent if we wanted to get to Rohn that night we'd have to bust our own trail. Rocky rallied the troops and off we went postholing the first pass down the Dalzell since last winter. Though we all took turns leading, Pete and Jay seemed to spend most of the time up front - gluttons for punishment. We reached the frozen Tatina river valley right at dark, and were able to ride most of the remaining five miles into Rohn by headlamp.

I think it was Jay who then made the comment that the race starting line had mysteriously and unintentionally moved from Knik to Rohn, with 9 of us arriving at 10pm, and another three later that night. Pete left within an hour, while Jay caught a few hours sleep and single pushed the next 140 miles all the way to McGrath over the next 26 hours. It was promising to be an exciting finish until Pete succumbed to a stomach bug at Bison Camp, then spent 13+ hours recovering in Nikolai, leaving Jay to push the winning pace himself.

IMG_4938 dave pushing up to rainy pass.JPG
    pushing up Rainy Pass

IMG_4972 dave on top of rainy pass.JPG
    on top of Rainy Pass

IMG_5007 race leaders break iditarod trail.JPG
    breaking trail in Dalzell Gorge

IMG_5011 first through the dalzell.JPG

IMG_5016 where's the trail.JPG

mtbr member
    wow. eye opening. brings it home how hard it is ..
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

Fatback

Congrats to all

Well done. Let's hope James's feet make a quick recovery and we see him next year. I was pretty amazed at his enthusiasm. I'm sure he was fun to be with on the trail. Nice photos Dave. Good to show the tougher side of things as everyone gets caught up in the best parts.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

is buachail foighneach me
    wow! that's some impressive stuff!!

Caveman
    Great post dave!
    Thanks for the photos too.

at least it was in the daylight right?

mtbr member
    Awesome Dave.Great writing, great photos.

Dave Hart: My nominee for Rookie of the Year. With James L, and Jill H as honorable mentions.

Jeez - hope I didn' t just step in it...
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great job and great post Dave! Thanks for sharing the photos and your report.

The trail breaking section looks brutal. So does the trail normally go right down the middle of the creek in Dalzell Gorge?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Holy crap-a-monkey!

....sips hot coffee....

Those pictures are amazing!

....puts up feet....

Thanks for sharing, I am happy to be where I am but I am made even happier knowing that there are people out there and I get to see the pics!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Other random riding shots

IMG_4933 Dave and Jacques - finnbear lake.JPG
    Dave and Jacques leaving Finnbear Lake cabin between Finger Lake and Puntilla Lake checkpoints.

IMG_4955 dave - rainy pass pushing.JPG
    More cold weather pushing up Rainy Pass

IMG_5031 flat.JPG
    Jacques helps pump Dave's flat 5am, 5 miles after leaving Rohn cabin. I flatted the front 2 miles further.

IMG_5038 dave - rohn to bison.JPG
    Dave approaching Farewell Lake area. First cold temps of the trip -25F.

IMG_5043 jacques - rohn to bison lake riding.JPG
    Jacques and sweet lake riding in the Farewell Lake area

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dave, any idea what caused the flats? Running the tires too low with the thin WTB tubes? How many tubes did you carry at a time? Congrats again on a great race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

triple flat analysis

Front flat was my fault, running residual low pressure from Dalzell push on windblown and rocky Kuskokwim the next morning in the dark. Hit a rock and pinch flatted.

Rear flat was from running low pressure on Rainy Pass push/ride. I was experienceing a slow leak all day over Rainy Pass. As it got worse the next day I stopped to change it and found the valve stem was torn from what looked to be tire slip-rotating on the rim and ripping in the valve stem hole. Mt third and final flat was the next and final day 15 miles from McGrath. Again rear flat after running not very low pressure maybe 6-8psi? Again, valve stem tear at rim hole.

After talking to Greg, we suspect the solution may be gluing one side of the Endo tire to the 80mm rim. Or, possibly try a slightly larger 3.0 tire. I had been using the WTB 2.5. I plan to do some research and see if gluing one side stops the tire/wheel slip, at least on the back. I'm 185# plus 35# of gear strapped to the bike plus clothes, so there was a lot of weight on the bike. That might have made matters worse than a standard day trip ride.

I took 1 tube with me, plus flew another one into Rohn. Jacques carried 2 tubes with him. If i were to do it again, I'd carry 2 at all times, and perhaps fly in another if I weren't riding with a partner, as Jacques and I were...

Overall Endo's and 80's were a great combination for me, very straight tracking, stable, good float, noticeably more fun and effortless than my previous LM wheels. Very happy with the Fatback and 80's...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dhart
    Front flat was my fault, running residual low pressure from Dalzell push on windblown and rocky Kuskokwim the next morning in the dark. Hit a rock and pinch flatted.

Rear flat was from running low pressure on Rainy Pass push/ride. I was experienceing a slow leak all day over Rainy Pass. As it got worse the next day I stopped to change it and found the valve stem was torn from what looked to be tire slip-rotating on the rim and ripping in the valve stem hole. Mt third and final flat was the next and final day 15 miles from McGrath. Again rear flat after running not very low pressure maybe 6-8psi? Again, valve stem tear at rim hole.

After talking to Greg, we suspect the solution may be gluing one side of the Endo tire to the 80mm rim. Or, possibly try a slightly larger 3.0 tire. I had been using the WTB 2.5. I plan to do some research and see if gluing one side stops the tire/wheel slip, at least on the back. I'm 185# plus 35# of gear strapped to the bike plus clothes, so there was a lot of weight on the bike. That might have made matters worse than a standard day trip ride.

I took 1 tube with me, plus flew another one into Rohn. Jacques carried 2 tubes with him. If i were to do it again, I'd carry 2 at all times, and perhaps fly in another if I weren't riding with a partner, as Jacques and I were...

Overall Endo's and 80's were a great combination for me, very straight tracking, stable, good float, noticeably more fun and effortless than my previous LM wheels. Very happy with the Fatback and 80's...
    Use 3M Fastac Adehesive and yes, just glue one side. Works well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks, i will pick some up on the way home tonight. 3M website has a source a couple miles away.

Caveman
    Dave, care to share the story about Jaques's poor feet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Nothing very exciting. -30F on Kuskokwim for our 2am-11am ride to McGrath. Our 3 hour stop in Nikolai didn't allow Jacques to fully dry his felted wool Loben boots. He had a small dime sized frostbite blister on his pinky toe when we got to McGrath. Local PA's came over and lanced it, wrapped it up, and he's good as new! Sorry I couldn't embellish any better than that!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dhart
    Really glad to hear this...there is a FatBack with 80mm rims in my future. I am a chicken though and have continued to run the heavy Surly tubes for fear of changing a flat when its really cold out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

McGrath photos

A few parting shots from our last day in McGrath. Until next time...

IMG_5051 frostbit toe.JPG
    Racer's frostbit toe in McGrath

IMG_5073 mcgrath pete and tracy's.JPG
    Phillip, Jacques, Rocky, James, Brij pigging out while Pete cooks yet another great breakfast

IMG_5076 mcgrath bikerack.JPG
    Fat tire bike jamboree at Pete and Tracy's in McGrath

IMG_5086 tim, jeff, brij, dave mcgrath flight home.JPG
    Tim, Jef, Brij and Dave boarding the Pen Air flight home

IMG_5089 brij, jacques, tim and jeff arrive anchorage.JPG
    Brij, Jacques, Tim and Jeff pushing bikes on the Anchorage Intl Airport tarmac

rocky's on a 29er right? anyone know what tires he's using?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

WTB 29'ers

If recollection holds, they were WTB Weirwolf 2.5's... though Rocky did exceptionally well as always, he was plowing a noticeable zig-zag trench in the trail compared to the Endo's in the marginal stuff. We followed him for most of the race and I was always avoiding his trough in the soft stuff... But it sure seems to work for him!

No, that's not phonetic
    Rocky's a nut. He broke his saddle rails at the start of a race here in Kodiak, emptied a water bottle and then flipped it over and slid it over the head of the seat post, and sat on that for the next 45 miles.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

that's awesome!

Members who have read this thread: 0