Rack set up for Pugs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rack set up for Pugs?

I was wondering if anyone could advise me concerning racks for the Pugs? I would like to continue commuting through winter and have quite a bit of gear to carry. I would also like to use it for off road bikepacking trips. I see some people use the Old Man Mountain racks and I know Surly now makes the Nice rack. Any one care to weigh in? I would appreciate the advice. I posted this message on the Surly thread as well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have an OMM White Rock on the back of my pugsley with 80mm rims and it's great. I swapped the bolts the rack comes with, with longer through bolts from the hardware store. This set up was bomber on a 3 week off trail bikepacking trip I did this past summer. A Topeak Explorer rear rack and a hacksaw will also do the trick (cut off one of the standoff post mounts).

dylan

is buachail foighneach me

mtbr member

so freaking modest...

Quote Originally Posted by dylankentch
    This set up was bomber on a 3 week off trail bikepacking trip I did this past summer.

dylan

seriously, a "three week bikepacking trip?" check out Sean's link in the above post - Dylan and Eric are Superheros - granted they are sporting drysuits and packrafts, not spandex and tool belts... blah blah...

my modest pusuits with OMM racks have been just as rewarding on my Pugs.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

is buachail foighneach me
    you wear a tool belt when you ride tony? pics??

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I would like to put a rack on the back of my Pugsley and have been looking at the OMM racks also. Since the OMM racks are not height adjustable, do you need one to fit 29"/ 700C wheels or can you get away with using a 26" wheel version. I ask because the lower rack mounts on a Pugsley are further up the seatstays and not on the dropouts. Thanks for any help.

Caveman
    the 26" one is fine, I think that's what we got. You can always just call them with the mount to tire measurement ready.

The Surly nice racks are great, but are beefy touring racks and might be overkill for your uses, but maybe not...

and Tony, - Dylan dosent have a drysuit, and mine leaked allot

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose
    Thanks for the help
    Just wondering. Have you decided on your set up? I'm still not sure what direction I'm going.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I went with the butchered Nice rack up front as described elsewhere in this forum and the Tubus Locc 29" rack for the rear. Its one seriously bulletproof solution. With the Tubus Lower Rack Mounting Kit I was able to get around a BB7 with 203mm rotors in the rear.

http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS...OCC%20PAGE.htm

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Update

I ended up going with the Nice racks because my LBS had them. However I do want to mention that John at Old Man Mountain racks was a great help and I would absolutely recommend them because of their customer service.

Members who have read this thread: 0