Quiet rear hub- Mtbr.com

Thread: Quiet rear hub

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Quiet rear hub

Got my 29" SnoCat SL's from Beaver and they are ready to build the wheels. I'm looking for a rear hub, loose bearing, disk compatable and the harder part, quiet. I'm a solo, mostly winter rider and really prefer a quiet rear hub. Love being out in the woods and not listening to that clicking, guess I'm just an oddball. Anyone have any suggestions for a good quality rear hub with these qualities? thanks, t

We want... a shrubbery!
    I'm not sure about these days, but I've got an older XT rear hub that I can't hear -- I always question whether it's working or not it's so quiet.

I'd say your Hopes & Kings are out, and maybe tryout one of the Shimano rear hubs--but I can't attest to the quality of their hubs these days (at least IMO, the XT & LX hubs were awesome and never wore out--easy to repack, seals reasonable).
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

@adelorenzo
    Shimano makes a silent clutch freehub that is, well, silent. From what I can tell they are not made anymore, but you might be able to track one down on eBay or something. Apparently they will function better in extreme cold as well, but I have no experience with this.

I laced a set of XTR wheels this spring, they were totally silent, but not the silent clutch design AFAIK.

Loose bearing hubs you pretty much want to go with Shimano.

@adelorenzo
    Hmmm... Just discovered these True Precision Stealth hubs... Not loose ball, but the look pretty nice. Silent and instant engagement. They seem to get some good reviews here on MTBR.

Aug 2004
    Shimano XTs are your secret. They're pretty bombproof and mine are nice and quiet. Plus out on the dirt and snow, your tires will make more noise than the hubs anyway.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the feedback, I'm going with XT's front and rear. Checked out the Stealth hubs but $450 was too much. After conflicting reports of a quiet Shimano rear hub I called them. They occasionally make limited, special order runs of their RO-80 hubs for police departments. t

Alaska Turner Mafia
    The silent clutch Shimano hub that I can remember was an LX level, and not made for discs.

I've winterized more than my share of Shimano freehubs with a synthetic grease, or with Morningstar's Freehub Soup, and now they are completely silent. Get yourself a Morningstar Freehub Buddy and purge the factory grease with something that can handle extremely low temps, and you'll be golden! You can also pick up nice o-ring sealed dust shields that replace the ones you'll mangle to use the tool, but they make routine freehub purges a breeze.

http://morningstartools.com/freehub_buddy1.html
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have a couple of new Shimano clutch hubs stashed for projects and while they were pretty popular with bicycle police and work well in the winter, they are heavy and not disc compatible - XT's are great and follow Endo's regreasing advice for sub-zero riding. At last year's Frosty Bottom a couple of folks had cassette engagement issues with XTs that morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    awinterbiker: maybe you should look at the Shimano Silent Clutch FH-R085.

@adelorenzo
    Another option is the Shimano Alfine internally geared hub. I didn't realize that this hub has the roller clutch mechanism found in the silent clutch hubs.

I have two of them laced to Large Marges for the wife and I, but I haven't ridden them yet so I can't comment much more for now. I have heard reports that they fare well in cold temps. From what I have heard, they may have trouble shifting below -30 C but will always engage for riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0