Quartz Lake/Delta Jct- Mtbr.com
    Here & There
    Apr 2007

Quartz Lake/Delta Jct

I'm going to be up in the Quartz Lake / Delta Jct neck of the woods this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere to ride in the area. I've heard there are a few shorter trails near the state campground but would like to check out something a little more in depth if possible.
    <ΙχΘΥΣ><

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm assuming you're coming up the Rich and if so there's a pipeline overlook about 20-25 miles south of Delta. You can't miss it, beautiful area just south of Donnelly Dome. The pullout is on the east side of the road and has informational stands. Go east up the pipeline pad until you get to a gravel road going north (left) off the pad, if memory serves this is less than a mile. This should take you for a few miles up the valley and east towards the mountains. It's been 10 years at least since I tried this and was turned back by snowdrifts but it's so dry you shouldn't have that problem. This is one of my favorite areas, really pretty, open rolling tundra with some trees and lots of small lakes-ponds. I'm pretty sure this road will lead you up towards Jarvis Creek and probaly turn into a 4-wheeler trail. I've heard of hunters using bikes to get back there before climbing up the mtns. for sheep hunting. On page 106 of the Gazetteer it shows Coal Mine Rd. Lakes trail and that should be it although it looks a little south to me. You could also ride the road into the gold mine north of Delta the name of which escapes me. I think it's open to the public and while it's a big gravel road it wanders through some beautiful country.

I'd bet there are lots of 4-wheeler trails around Quartz Lake and the gold mine road is near there too. If someone tells you of a trail heading towards the Goodpasture headwaters take it (the mine road heads that way I think). I've heard mushers and trappers talk about how nice that area is for 35 plus years.

Be prepared for warm temps. It's been pushing 70 and predicted highs for Fri. are 75-80. Very dry too so while it's early some trails are already ridable that normally take til mid June before being ready. We are unfortunately going to have another heavy hornet year so be on the lookout for them too. t

Members who have read this thread: 0