pugsley- Mtbr.com

Thread: pugsley

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile pugsley

RaceFace Taperlock Steel
    100-145mm Red/Blue Cups would this bottom bracket work?I have several square taper cranks

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Just one point to clarify: if your description means your BB is for a 100mm wide shell, then I think you're on to something. I believe the latest version of Pugs frames have 100mm wide shells. One of your many cranks should work. Although I've had some troubles with past Taperlock BB's, I'd use one before going out and buying ISIS!

I'm using Race Face Turbine square taper cranks on my FatBike in combination with a 135mm spindle. It works fine, but I do catch myself thinking a 145 would be even better. It would probably allow me to run 80 or 100mm rims, which would require the chain to have a more outward position to eliminate tire rub in the lowest gear combination. Moving the chain outward another 5mm would be perfect.

Opt for a five arm compact crank if you have it. That gives you more versatility for middle chainring choices than others. I'm currently using a 30T middle, and it allows me to stay there for most but the steepest climbing. I've even found a 29T but haven't tried it yet. The taller tires along with the higher rotational weight will make you appreciate the lower gearing. No big ring required here. I rarely get into a 30x11.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what bout front derailleur?would it work

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

FSA Bottom Bracket Installation HELP!

So, I just put my new FSA DH Platinum Pro BB 100mm in my Pug (after facing) but the left side cup still sticks out about a quarter inch after folloing the torque specs etc. Is this normal? The guys at my LBS suggested it might be but I'm not so sure. Any thoughts would be helpful!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

E-type front Der

The 100mm Shell DH bottom brackets are designed to be used with an E-type front der.
    Are you running the bike with gears? If no front der, did you use the spacer that should have came with your BB to take up the der mounting plate?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    leadhead - I've got one of those BBs in my Pug and fitting it was a bit weird.

At first the LH cup was sticking out, but then I took everything out and started again. The second time, I did the LH cup first and then the RH side. The LH cup gets rotated out as you put in the RH side, but you can tighten it back in now and again. Eventually the RH side is fully in and the LH side is flush with the BB shell.

Members who have read this thread: 0