Pugs Fork Mount (Transporting)- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Pugs Fork Mount (Transporting)

Trying to figure out how I can transport my pugs on my roof rack. In doing a search I came up with this nifty little contraption (Pictured Below) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it? My other option is getting a Skewer Bolt machined for the Yakima Viper Mount. Any thoughts, or suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Diaskeuast
    I've never see the thing, but I've been looking for a solution to the Pugs transport problem as well. Stashing it inside my vehicle isn't always a viable option. Where did you find this doohickey, and how much does it cost?

Jul 2006
    Tim you can get them from a few places on line. But by far the best deal with shipping was doing a price match with Universal Cycles and Speed Goat Bicycles I got it for $65.83 shipped. They would not price match the Speed Goat Price but they definately made it worth while. Or you can get it factory direct from Hurricane Components

This is the Price Match Code I got from Universal Cycles. Just Copy and paste it when you check out.
    Last edited by aka bubba; 09-10-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    For the folks who carry thier bikes in pickups here's a decent idea:
    With a slight mod. you can use one of these Delta mounts with 135mm spaced forks as well as 100mm spaced forks. All I did to modify the mount was take off the big spacer, located just inboard of the QR, cut ~5mm off the end and put the two pieces back on right where they started. I actually have four of these (only one is modified) mounted to two 4' sections of 2"x6" so I can carry four bikes at a time with no permanent mounts in the bed of my truck.
    $16.98 at PricePoint but I got mine for $19.95 at Paramount.

.....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've been using one for about 6 months now. I ordered it from Performance. The only problem is that now the fork mount is locked to my Thule tray but the Pugsley isn't - so I have to use another lock for the bike. I think I'm going to switch to the new 100mm Puglsey fork to make it easier to transport and save some weight.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Does that mount to the current place and raise it up? How much does it lift?

I need something like that for my Surly Long Haul Trucker. If I have the front (lowrider) rack on, it hits my cross bar so I cannot clamp the fork.

Feb 2007
    $65 for that thing?? what a rip off. I hate when companies sell a product that is the only obvious solution to a problem like this so they sell it for more than twice what it would sell for in a competitive market.

what i'm thinking of doing for a much cheaper solution is to get on ebay and buy an old front fork block (with no tray) and mount it on the bar right beside my existing rack set to fit the pugsley fork with one side mounted on each rack. the bike won't then be perfectly straight on the tray but that shouldn't make any difference since the tires on a pugs don't fit down in the tray anyway.

Diaskeuast

A roof-top option

This thread has been dormant for a while, but I was so surprised when I saw Pugsleys transported on a roof rack last weekend that I thought this was worth sharing.

Yakima's King Cobra rack is actually wide enough to accommodate Endomorphs. The tires won't fit in the gutters, obviously, but a bungee cord or good velcro strap is enough to secure the rear wheel to the rack so that it won't bounce around.

Wood chips are stupid

Give him a turkey leg

Good eye Woody.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Spooooon!
    The Hurricane Fork Up adapter is $20 at Jenson right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Here's a free solution to the Pugsley fork mount problem

Everybody has an old, worn-out wheelset. Every bike shop throws away bent forks. Put the two together into a free (or nearly) solution to the Pugsley fork mount problem.

I just cut the tips off an old bent fork with my sawz-all, drilled a couple holes big enough for an axle to pass through, and put the axle out of an old rear hub through the holes. I used the cone and lock nuts from the hub to secure the fork tips by reversing the cone and threading it inboard of the fork tip. With the lock nut on the outboard end you can squeeze the fork tips tightly enough that they won't rotate when you mount everything on the bike rack.

Mount the fork tips in your standard bike mount, secure it, and then mount the Pugs fork to the rear axle using an old quick-release.

Works great on my bike, and you can't beat the price.

mtbr member
    I took an old non working rear hub and some u bolts and bolted it to the bed of my truck. Free.

Members who have read this thread: 0