Powerline pass to Indian- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Powerline pass to Indian

So , whos done this? Ive heard plenty of second hand stuff but nothing direct. I've climbed powerline pass a handful of times but have never ventured down towards Indian. I am pretty fit and have a bike that is quite capable (transition scout) , but would really appreciate any beta on the backside / descent. I know it can get really overgrown once the altitude gets lower towards Indian so I may have missed the window already. But any input from those who have done this ride would be greatly appreciated!
    Saying that you "hate" or are an "unapologetic critic" of a bike company doesn't make you insightful or interesting.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Prototype View Post
    So , whos done this? Ive heard plenty of second hand stuff but nothing direct. I've climbed powerline pass a handful of times but have never ventured down towards Indian. I am pretty fit and have a bike that is quite capable (transition scout) , but would really appreciate any beta on the backside / descent. I know it can get really overgrown once the altitude gets lower towards Indian so I may have missed the window already. But any input from those who have done this ride would be greatly appreciated!
    I've done it, don't care to do it again. No redeeming value. There is a slightly lower over-look towards Indian after the pass and that's where I would recommend turning around. From there, it's steep jeep-road and just not fun, will burn through brake pads, nothing like riding Alyeska or any fun downhill. If you are looking for DH action, this is worth it. Far better to push your bike up Abe's in Girdwood or Hope Point (still legal, but someone posted a no-bikes sign, got the message from the Francisco Sanchez, PM me and I can forward it). IME, it's just a sucky all around ride, you ride a ton of straight and boring Powerline Pass "trail" to Green Lake, where it starts to get interesting for a mile or two, then you are in the pass and can go a little further, but continuing is just not worth it if you are looking for DH action. At least if you turn around and go back, you get some singletrack DH at points, even if most of it isn't very steep/fast.

If JBER opens the Dome TAs (sign in with I-sportsman, don't do it illegally, they have cameras up and are restricting access due to the illegal use) then that is a legit fun DH that is far longer than anything else around the Anchorage area. Keep hiking/riding up past the first Dome back to the higher peaks for some real fun stuff.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.