Power Line Pass- Mtbr.com

Thread: Power Line Pass

mtbr member
    May 2006

Power Line Pass

Has anyone ridden powerline yet,was thinking about hitting that tommorow.

Feb 2007

fuggedaboutit

It is way too muddy & snowy right now. Maybe in a few weeks.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I got out for a ride after work this evening, and thought I'd get in some hillclimbing. I hopped on my heaviest bike and from L. Otis made my way up to Spencer Loop. It's in really good shape. Halfway around I took the Gasline up to Prospect Heights. The Gasline is just moist and tacky enough to make the traction good. From there I headed up South Fork Rim Trail, thinking I'd check on conditions.

I knew I'd reach a point where it would get sloppy, and at that point I'd turn around. If you recognize this bridge, from about here it started getting soft, so I walked to the next viewpoint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Alaska Turner Mafia
    From this viewpoint the riding was better again. It's more exposed to sunshine and drier. It was short lived though, as I took the next left turn and hopped across some standing water.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I started running into some serious mud, and a ton of trail damage has already been done, but by moose traffic.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I hiked beyond the mud in hopes that conditions would improve, but they didn't. I got to a couple of the boarded sections and played around. I rode the stepped up section a couple of times because it was fun just to play. At the upper end of the steps it became horrendously muddy, and from here I turned around.

I know there are probably lots of you that want to start getting into the higher elevations but it really is too early. At this point I'd say stay below Prospect Heights for another 10 days or so, if it doesn't rain.

Oh yeah, one of the boards on the stepped section is broken with a section missing. You can either take that as a warning, or as a challenge to test yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0