POW riders?- Mtbr.com

Thread: POW riders?

Oct 2008

POW riders?

I want to get into the sport and wonder if there is anybody on Prince of Wales willing to share knowledge? Thanks

Ologist
    Not on POW anymore but there are some amazing forest service roads to ride out there. Not much singletrack as I recall.

Oct 2008

new to POW

I just moved here from Barrow and need to get back in shape. I am 54 yrs, 6'1" and 240 lbs. I trying to research a good bike in the 1000-1300 range. Any ideas? Should I say away from full suspension? Thanks

Ologist
    I wouldn't stay away from full suspension because I think as we get older we appreciate letting the bike absorb much of the terrain even if you won't be riding very technical terrain. That being said as I remember most of your riding will be on logging roads and to get the most bang from your buck on a full suspension you may need to spend a little more. You can definitely get a solid hard tail for your price range.

IMO stay away from department store bikes Motiv, Mongoose, etc (Costco, Sam's, Walmart, Target). If you don't have access to a local bike shop, REI has a good selection of entry level hard tails and full suspension bikes. If you end up having to mail order, look around on the net - there is a plethora of very inexpensive mail order shops that will be cheaper than REI. Look for last year's models to save even more.

Members who have read this thread: 0