Planning a Trip to AK, need a good shop to rent bikes from!- Mtbr.com
    All That is Man

Planning a Trip to AK, need a good shop to rent bikes from!

We're from Tucson and planning a trip to Alaska for a couple weeks in June 08. We might be renting an RV and just taking it everywhere, in which case I'd like to find a shop that might rent out some halfway decent mountain bikes for a week or so. We plan to hit Fairbanks and Anchorage so either location or anywhere in between works. Thanks!
    John

Diaskeuast
    There's not a big market for rental bikes up here. Most of what's available is the cheap variety for paved trails. If you want to ride good bikes, you should crate 'em up and bring your own.

Ologist
    Speedway Cycles on Spenard in Anchorage told me early this past summer that they will be renting full suspension bikes. I don't know if they have started yet, but they would be the only gig in town to do so. There are others that rent hardtails but they are barely trail worthy.

I just flew to Tucson with my bike and everything worked slick (aside from breaking some ribs on the last day). It was 50 bucks each way which in Tucson was equivalent to renting one bike for 2-2.5 days.

All That is Man
    Sounds like I'll probably want to be bring it up then. I'll have to start looking into trails around the Anchorage area. I'll want to get at least two or three good rides in, even it means the same trail each time.
    John

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I just flew to Tucson with my bike and everything worked slick (aside from breaking some ribs on the last day). It was 50 bucks each way which in Tucson was equivalent to renting one bike for 2-2.5 days.
    I've found the key to saving money when flying with a bike is to dress casually but nice enough that I could be traveling on business, eliminate all visible signs that I'm a bicyclist, and lie, lie, lie.

"Oh, yeah, isn't that bike case neat? I bought it because it's perfect for carrying my (fill in the blank here)."

Some people might have a moral problem with this approach.

I have a moral problem with the airline charging me one fee for a bike, and a lower fee for any other item in the same case at the same weight. I've seen my one-way fee drop from $65 to $25 (or even $0) in a couple of seconds only because the person behind the counter classified the contents as something other than a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Alaska Backcountry Bike Tours rents good bikes

ABBT gets a new fleet of Kona Kulas and a variety of higher end full suspension Konas every year for multi-day rentals. You can contact us at www.mountainbikealaska.com. We are located in Palmer but can deliver bikes to Anchorage. Check out our website for rentals OR a multi-day epic adventure if you are interested.

Members who have read this thread: 0