Petersville Road Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Petersville Road Area

I'm planning on getting out of town in the Petersville area next weekend and seeing some country I've never been to before. I'd welcome any suggestions from folks who've "been there done that." I was thinking of riding the road back from the Parks, but don't know what other options there might be.

Thanks.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

Beware of Doggerel
    I haven't made it much past the bridge at the mining district sign, so other folks might have better advice if you really want to get in there. I've only been out there twice. But don't start your ride at the Parks High way, drive in to the Forks Roadhouse, I think that is about 11 miles in or so and start your ride from there. From the forks its a nice out and back to either the town or the bridge. It has rolling hills and great views. I did it a few years ago with a mixed group of friends, some strong riders and some who hardly ever get on a bike, everyone had a good time.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quick hint if you intend to drive beyond the Forks RH: I did it to access the ridge overlooking the AK Range around mid-June and found that the road, except for the middle two-tracks, was still super-saturated...if you drove off the two-track you were up to the axles immediately (I avoided that though!) Luckily I didn't meet much traffic on the road...but I was pretty gripped on my drive out...

And there was still lots of snow in the upper country, plus exposure since it's above treeline, and lots of the low country is boggy although there were good camp sites at road/creek crossings in valley bottoms ('spose you could ride away from the road to get a bit more of a wilderness experience). There are some OHV trails that run partway up the big overlook ridge and might provide some bike access (along with a some pushing).

Of course it depends on how much moisture, snow, wind, sun, etc. has happened in spring, but what I saw was that because the road is a pioneer road, not 'properly' built, it takes an extra long time to dry out and be passable by car...another good reason to ride a two wheeler!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys. Since this will be all new to me, I'm going to "van camp" Friday night and then spend the whole day Sat. poking around out there. Anyone want to join in?
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

A Wet Muddy Road!

Saturday turned out to be cool and rainy. It started raining during breakfast at the Forks Roadhouse and didn't let up until almost noon. All afternoon it was on & off rain, but nothing real intense.

There were RVs and other big rigs in several places up to about 2.5 miles past the roadhouse, which was surprising because the road was soft and very muddy in some places. Everybody seemed to have a 4-wheeler of some type.

About half way to Petersville the road totally broke down in 2 different areas into a huge mud bog. The 4-wheelers were going through and really tearing up to road, not to mention a lot of the country off road. Overall, the road was still very soft with snow in the sheltered areas and lots a huge water holes and stuff.

Had a good ride though. Worth coming back when the weather is better and Denali can be seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

Members who have read this thread: 0