Painting Frustration!- Mtbr.com

Jul 2006

Painting Frustration!

In my efforts to repaint a frame, I have tried two different types of paint stripper and so far neither one has done a darn thing. Does any one have any recommendations or suggestions? Or know of some one that can bead blast “Sand Blast” the frame for me for a fee?

Thanks Manny

Ologist
    There was a post on here not too long ago (I think Biglaker or Timwoody chimed in) talking about frame painting. I bet Wildfire would know, but there is at least one place in ANCH and one out in the valley that powder coat too.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    If the frame is powdercoated, paint stripper is not going to be effective. Powdercoating is a baked on coating that must be burnt off. I bought a Pugs frame and had it recoated at Advanced Powdercoating (same place Wildfires are done) out in Big Lake. He did very good work, I even had him cut off the huge canti brake posts and when I got the frame back you couldn't even tell they ever existed.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Jul 2006
    Thanks guys. I will give them a call

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Steel or Aluminum?

banned
    I use a stripper product called, "Aircraft". It is also aircraft paint stripper. "Aircraft" just happens to be the name as well.

It will strip any paint off any surface powdercoated or not. It will also strip your skin in a mere second so be careful.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Tim Woody once told me that Leonard's farts can melt powdercoat clean off.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    , Leanord you busy tomorrow

The frame Steel

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    i also have an old steel frame that i'd like to clean up and paint. i was just going to hit it with an steel brush and sandpaper, but caustic chemicals sounds like a lot more fun. where can i get "aircraft"? and for those of us who can't justify powdercoating a thirty year old road frame--trying to count grams, ya' know--does anyone have a recommendation for rattle can products...?

thanks.
    zach.

Wood chips are stupid
    I sanded my Pugs until the sheen was gone. Then I applied many very light coats of spray paint in a very warm garage.No hard boiled eggs and beer that day

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    No, I said one of Leonard's jokes could melt the powdercoat clean off.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly77
    where can i get "aircraft"? and for those of us who can't justify powdercoating a thirty year old road frame--trying to count grams, ya' know--does anyone have a recommendation for rattle can products...?
    I contacted the powder coat fellows and it was just not cost effective for me to do a powder coat on the frame. So I decided to go with the rattle can option.

I picked up some Aircraft Strip at the Auto Parts Store, it did take just about all of the paint off. However if you go with the house brand stuff from Napa it is a lot cheaper and in my opinion did equally as well as the Aircraft stuff.

As to paint I am using rustoleum primer and flat black. One thing to consider when painting is to go with a flat instead of the semi gloss or gloss or even semi flat because it saves you the extra step of having to sand the frame before applying the clear coat.
    Last edited by aka bubba; 05-16-2007 at 11:24 PM.

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    thanks for the tips--especially the advice on saving some loot. ...now i have nothing to blame but a lack of initiative....

zach.

Members who have read this thread: 0