The other XC- Mtbr.com

Thread: The other XC

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

The other XC

How many of you folks XC ski? I hope to get back into it when I move to AK. I haven't really done it since I was a kid living in northern Maine (about 13 years ago). How's the scene there? Pretty good, I would imagine. How much snow have you got so far?

I know this is a mtb forum, but do you know any good skiing forums? I've Googled some, but haven't seemed to find much.

I'll be moving to AK in June, so I'm under 200 days left here in Italy. My wife and I can't wait!!

Mandatory Bike Content :
    Check out Dirt Rag #111 "Last Chance for Gas" for my snowbiking escapade here in Italy.

mtbr member

Good job! I ski some.....when I can't ride.

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    How many of you folks XC ski? I hope to get back into it when I move to AK. I haven't really done it since I was a kid living in northern Maine (about 13 years ago). How's the scene there? Pretty good, I would imagine. How much snow have you got so far?

I know this is a mtb forum, but do you know any good skiing forums? I've Googled some, but haven't seemed to find much.

I'll be moving to AK in June, so I'm under 200 days left here in Italy. My wife and I can't wait!!

Mandatory Bike Content :
    Check out Dirt Rag #111 "Last Chance for Gas" for my snowbiking escapade here in Italy.
    If you end up in Anchorage there is great skiing. There are 2 major nordic ski areas in town and are considered "world class". Right now our snow is [email protected] unless you head into the mountians. This can change any day. In fact, the long range forcast is for some cooling temps. We've had wind and rain for awhile.
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Get a trail pin

I know Dave just forgot to mention it, but if you buy a trail pin you can ski on any of the hundreds of miles of trails around town for no additional charge. It all goes to grooming, etc. That's 6 good months of skiing for a very low cost. Only place I know of like it.
    Welcome!
    Pat

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

sounds good

That pin sounds like a great thing. I am headed to Anchorage (Elmendorf). How many of you guys are based in Anchorage vs. other places? Hopefully I can ride and meet with a lot of you. I got a great group of people here and it's going to be sad to leave after 4 years. Still, I cannot wait to move somewhere new. I might post another thread with some generic Alaska questions later on...hopefully you can help me out. Take it easy!

DAve

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Most are in Anchorage

I think most of us are from Anchorage. Ask anything you like...AKDave is happy to answer.
    Pat

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Well, I did forget....

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    I know Dave just forgot to mention it, but if you buy a trail pin you can ski on any of the hundreds of miles of trails around town for no additional charge. It all goes to grooming, etc. That's 6 good months of skiing for a very low cost. Only place I know of like it.
    Welcome!
    Pat
    If the "trail pin" you purchase is from the skijoring (sp) club then you are actually helping groom trails many of us ride. The ski club pin is GOOD also though!

Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)